Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Problem with air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with air conditioning

Recently my A/C has been working perfectly fine, blows cold but the other day I had to drive a long distance and my A/C just stopped working unless I turn off the compressor and turn it back on. Well today my A/C completely stopped working but the compressor kicks on and off as well as the fans but the weird thing is, when I went to check how much refrigerant I had left in it; it showed 100 psi. The refrigerant was filled up last year to about 30 psi.

The car is a 94 accord ex.

Anybody encountered this before? This is my dad's car so it'd be great if anyone knew what was wrong with it so he doesn't have to drive around it in this heat.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Problem with air conditioning (tofuboi)

sooo nobody has had this problem?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that your A/C will not turn on if the pressure is too low or if it is TOO HIGH. I am pretty sure it didnt turn on because the pressure is too high. I do not know why your pressure is so high though.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pressure on the Low side or the High side?
Jumper the pressure switch, if needed, to make the compressor/fans turn on.
What are the High and Low pressures when the A/C is running?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with air conditioning (hondadude)

First off, how are you checking the pressure? And secondly are checking low and high side pressures?

100 psi is not a refrigerant level, but the total pressure on the low side of the system. If you add too much R134a to the system you can cause the compressor to fail. It is a bad idea to just add refrigerant to a system without knowing whats really going on. 100 psi on the low side is too high. there might be a clog in the accumulator causing the pressure to increase and the system to not flow well.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Problem with air conditioning (jabontke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jabontke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, how are you checking the pressure? And secondly are checking low and high side pressures?

100 psi is not a refrigerant level, but the total pressure on the low side of the system. If you add too much R134a to the system you can cause the compressor to fail. It is a bad idea to just add refrigerant to a system without knowing whats really going on. 100 psi on the low side is too high. there might be a clog in the accumulator causing the pressure to increase and the system to not flow well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said it was the refrigerant level, I said I went to check how much refrigerant was left in it(which is normally the problem) and it showed 100 psi. And so therefore I figured, "Hey, that's not normal," so that's why I asked. And as I said before, it was at 30 psi last year and ran fine right before I posted this topic so why would I add refrigerant?? I checked the low side, why would I even look at the high side for if I'm checking the refrigerant. But anyways, I figured there was a clog but I wanted to see if anyone had this before I go tear the a/c system apart to find a clog.

P.S. Next time you answer a question, you don't need to sound like a doucebag and think the other person is incompetant.

And thanks for the other replies.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy killer, I am not trying to call you stupid. From what you wrote above, it did not sound like you knew what was going on. Some more information in the original post would be helpful and it would warrant better solutions to the problem at hand.

Is the 30 psi or 100 psi with the car running or not? I might not be a clog either, it could be a system with too much refrigerant. Are you able to check the low and high side pressures with the car running? If so, what does the low side gauge start at before the compressor kicks on and what is the final pressure of the low side right before the compressor kicks off?

I am here to help you, not insult you. I cannot assume that you know something so I start at a basic level.