Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE

Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE

Recently I have noticed that when it is cold out and I start my car and start driving, first gear revs up rather quickly as opposed to shifting into 2nd, I figured this was a low oil problem but my oil levels are fine so that left the transmission. This morning as I drove to work with a cold engine my D4 light started to flash and my check engine light came on. I turned around and left my car at home in the garage and drove it no more until I could check it out. The transmission fluid is at the correct level and it does not need changing as it was changed last year by Honda.

Error codes are 700 and 780. 700 means TCU error and 780 means shift malfunction.

In checking out this problem I came across several owners of 02 accords with Auto Transmissions whose transmissions failed prematurely due to a defect similar to the 01 and 03 Accords. Do these error codes basically indicate that my transmission is on the way out?

138,755 miles. Automatic Transmission 4-cycl. engine.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE (joe8mofo)

It doesn't sound good, although I'm not to the point of condeming the Tranny yet. I wouldn't screw with it (however) and would get it to someone capable / or familiar with transmissions. It sounds like you've suffered an internal pressure loss with a subsiquent 1st gear slip; and in any case it is serious.
Are you the first owner and / or do you have access to the vehicles maintaince records?
Honda offered an extended warranty program to owners of record for 00 and 01 Accords and Odssey's. (I believe)
If you asked nicely and had your paperwork on hand .....

P
Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE (P_Adams)

I am the first owner of the vehicle yes. I do have the maintenance records of when the transmission fluid was changed on 2 occasion and some record of some oil changes. So you think I could get into an extended warranty program despite the mileage? Is there any indication of how much longer it will be operable on the road?

I was considering that since it's value was approx 3,560 for trade-in and the fact that it still runs; I would either have to make costly repairs at my expense or trade it in while it still can be driven. It gives me no problem if I let the vehicle warm up first before putting it into gear.

Have you heard of others with premature transmission failures as well? If I have made it to 138k miles and others have had their fail before 100k then I think I am probably pretty lucky on that account as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me see if I can scare up the original Honda correspondence.
and
Yes, I have heard of others - although what milage they were dealing with I can not remember.

Trading it in with an existing transmission condition would be problamatic at best. You would (most likely) be offered 'way below book value. (and you just know that they'll road test it )
- unless you found a dealership offering some over inflated trade in value for cars ("in any condition), but even then you'd most likely pay more on the top end of the deal.

If you frequent a local Honda dealer for your service, that will help. When you approach them - make no mention of disposing the vehicle after the repair, be pleasant and reiterate your continued loyalty to the Honda product line. They do these things for customer loyalty and repeat sales.

P
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's one such correspondence:

October 2002

Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension

Dear Accord, Odyssey and Prelude Owners:

American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for the automatic transmission on all 2000-01 Accords, Odysseys, and Preludes. The automatic transmission and torque converter are now covered for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of original sale. We are providing this warranty extension because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in certain vehicles may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.

How do I know if there is a problem with my vehicle's automatic transmission?
If you think your vehicle has a transmission problem, refer to the operating characteristics below. Understanding these characteristics can help you decide if you need to call your Honda dealer.

These characteristics are normal; they should not require you to call your Honda dealer.

Quick downshifts. The transmission has a computerized control system called grade logic. When going down a hill, even a light touch of the brake pedal can cause grade logic to downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting helps to slow the vehicle through engine braking.

Does not always shift through the full range of gears. This can also be caused by the grade logic system keeping the transmission in the optimum gear for different driving conditions.

Mechanical noise when selecting a forward or reverse gear. It's normal to hear a slight mechanical noise when moving the shift lever from one gear to another. This noise can sound abnormally loud if any of the windows are down and you are parked next to a wall or another vehicle.

Vehicle may not hold its position when stopped on an incline in gear (may roll backward when the brake pedal is released). This can occur on most Honda-made vehicles. It is one of the measures used to improve fuel economy.

Hard shifts before the engine warms up. By design, the transmission shifts a little harder when the engine is cold. It returns to smoother shifting when the engine warms up.

These characteristics are not normal; if you experience any of them, call your Honda dealer.

While driving, the D4 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.

An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.

In the next few weeks, owners of potentially affected vehicles will be sent a copy of this letter along with reimbursement instructions in case they previously paid to have the transmission repaired or replaced.

It's important to maintain your vehicle's transmission according to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. Not maintaining the transmission properly can void the warranty coverage.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
Honda Automobile Division

P
Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a link to the original TSB as sent to Honda Dealers. I'm still trying to scare up the original owners' correspondence.

You'll need Adobe reader to view / open the file.

http://www.driveaccord.net/for...=2186

P
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE (P_Adams)

I took the car to the dealer. They say its failing and 3800 to replace it. They offered 25%off of that. I basically told them that that was an insult. I then proceeded to contact Honda Corp of America and requested that Honda replace it for a reasonable price, considering my 3-honda's owned record. Needless to say if Honda is unwilling to take responsibility for their shotty R&D, this will be the LAST Honda ever purchase by my family. Thank you for the information regarding what was sent out for the 01s, it can only help them to replace it out of good-will.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you contacted the Consumers Protection Division of the state's Attorney General's office? They may have recieved additional queries on this subject and may have some action (class or otherwise) pending.
Other than the Transmission, what shape is the rest of the car in? 138k isn't a lot of miles. If the car's been trouble free to now, either having yours rebuilt or have a recycled (read that "used") transmission installed could be an option.
That is (of course) if you want to even deal with the car after this.

P
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont count out hondas due to this problem alone. Ive been frustrated with mine due to the same problem, but when I put it in prespective with my friends' and family members' cars of different makes and models its been extremely reliable.
Id say youre very lucky to make it to 138k on the original trans. If you can replace it for a fair price then its probably a better option than spending much more on another vehicle.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (Cannon Man)

I have not contacted the Consumer's Protection division yet, but that is a good idea. You see that is the thing as well, I have had no problems with the vehicle. I even changed the transmission fluid in accordance with the extreme use maintenance chart. I am looking into replacing it myself if it really comes down to it and if I can get a decent deal on a transmission. I am really not willing to spend more than 800$ on it though because then it becomes the "money pit" if you know what I mean.

On principle, I would continue to buy Honda if they would simply take responsibility for the poor craftsmanship in this transmission. But if they won't be responsible and actually live up to the hype about reliability and taking care of their consumers; then I seriously will not give them further business. I really do feel cheated by this, a 22 thousand dollar vehicle that can't last past 138k without a huge problem. I mean I could have bought cheaper from another company and maybe it would have lasted beyond this.

I expect to hear from Honda Corp of America tomorrow and hopefully I can pull off a decent deal, I would say chances are high of that. And last ditch effort could be directly emailing the execs and getting Exec Support to step in.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joe8mofo)

Good luck with your efforts. Please let us know how you make out.

P
Old 12-24-2023, 05:35 AM
Trial User

Icon5 Re: Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE

I also have a problem with a 2002 ex 3.0 tranny.It has started "feathering" (delayed shifts,sounds like slippage) when shifting,then shifts hard when it does engage.
What could be causing this?The servos or something else more serious?
Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:16 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Possible Transmission Dying 02 Honda Accord SE

I have read on other Honda Forums that the problem you describe was cured by 2 changes of transmission fluid ,with 500miles between changes,to Redline 30504 D4 synthetic transmission fluid.It is highly rated and better than the Honda recommended fluid,according to many posts.Try it,it is the cheapest way to find a possible fix.It is supposed to clean stuck and sticky valves and de-glaze clutches and bands.