Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Please Help! severe oil leak 2 mechanics no answers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please Help! severe oil leak 2 mechanics no answers!

I've used ramps a number of times for my Accords, only problem is that I have to use a 2 x 10 ahead of the ramp to get the car high enough that the bumper lip doesn't hit the ramp before the tires start up.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why cant u use ramps on a fwd car, and how much is a cam seal and a rear main seal like the low end casue the mechanic is supposed to be the cheapest around??? thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um so its a v-tech and its at the passenger rear corner where the v-tech solinoid is. i kinda scimmed through the last couple of posts but has anyone thought about the v-tech valve body where it connects to the head? im really surprised no ones mentioned it even once. instead of jumping into a $700 rear main replace that gasket. its like $15. had the same prob with my car.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My eyes are BURNING.

It is VTEC!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by arkangel2487
um so its a v-tech and its at the passenger rear corner where the v-tech solinoid is. i kinda scimmed through the last couple of posts but has anyone thought about the v-tech valve body where it connects to the head? im really surprised no ones mentioned it even once. instead of jumping into a $700 rear main replace that gasket. its like $15. had the same prob with my car.
lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's that??!!??!! Your call isn't coming through...I can barely hear you...I think you need to replace your Vtech gasket!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much is a rear main seal replacement? vtec solenoid replacement? cam seal replacement?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dj00140
How much is a rear main seal replacement? vtec solenoid replacement? cam seal replacement?
Its not difficult to replace the Cam shaft/VTEC solenoid but I am not sure about Main seal replacement as far as I know its hard and expensive as well????

Do let me know and PM me if you need any help regarding Cam shaft or VTEC Solenoid issue.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i work for firestone and i did my tranny swap there. labor was like 6.5 so u figure and extra .5 for the rear seal. our labor rate is $100/hr but were a major shop. some shops are a lil cheaper but be carefull about quality. as for the v-tech u could replace that urself with a 10mm socket, an extention, and a ratchet. their are 2 seals; one from the soliniod to the valvebody then the valvebody to the head. prob $15 for both (and u should change both). as for the cam seal that would require u to remove the timing belt so if it not leakin in that area dont bother unless u plan on doin the timing belt/water pump. that aslo is around 4 hours to do
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work for firestone and i did my tranny swap there. labor was like 6.5 so u figure and extra .5 for the rear seal. our labor rate is $100/hr but were a major shop. some shops are a lil cheaper but be carefull about quality. as for the v-tech u could replace that urself with a 10mm socket, an extention, and a ratchet. their are 2 seals; one from the soliniod to the valvebody then the valvebody to the head. prob $15 for both (and u should change both). as for the cam seal that would require u to remove the timing belt so if it not leakin in that area dont bother unless u plan on doin the timing belt/water pump. that aslo is around 4 hours to do
i agree with this advise. man i wish i could charge 100 an hour in my shop. we charge 65 an hour but i aint tryin to build castles
Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Honda Accord 1994 EX F22B1 its also leaking Oil I checked thoroughly today it looks like probably close to the distributor or may be in the Top right rear corner of Valve cover possible be the Valve cover Gasket issue as I checked distributor is'nt look like leaking Oil there is also a sensor right below that right rear corner of valve cover from where it looks like leaking oil.

I will try to post the pictures tomorrow.

Any help or thoughts???
Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
i agree with this advise. man i wish i could charge 100 an hour in my shop. we charge 65 an hour but i aint tryin to build castles
i hear ya. problem is we have a million other people above us and every body has to get a cut. we do dang near 80k in service a month lol and i dont a penny of that. u think the labors bad, we matrix our parts about %200. we charged a customer 260 for a part we paid 90 for why havent i opened m own shop yet
Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your (dx) for sure has the f22b1 VTEC check the VTEC solenoid , dizzy seal, and front cam seal. these are the majority leaks on f series
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmjohnson128
if your (dx) for sure has the f22b1 VTEC check the VTEC solenoid , dizzy seal, and front cam seal. these are the majority leaks on f series
Dizzy seal?? which is that and yes it is F22B1. Please if any one could show the location of VTEC solenoid and Dizzy seal it will be really helpful.

Many Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and the "dizzy" is the distrobutor. the thing all the plug wires go to. its under my arm
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and the "dizzy" is the distrobutor. the thing all the plug wires go to. its under my arm
Thanks very much for the pictures I have highlighted the area in Red from the bottom of that round shaped thing held by 2 screws oil is coming.

I do not think so that Distributor is leaking oil Please tell what it is and does it have any Gasket and easy to fix??
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know what I could get for a 94 accord EX (value?) with new timing belt water pump oil pan gasket raditaor, brakes, tires, plugs and wires its a filly loaded 170k miles, leather, power everything, cd, alloy wheels that have some scuffs, common minor rust on rear fenders. a burn and a tear the in the front pass/drivers seats respectively. Just an estimate, I was thinking 2 grand it runs perfect. Just needs a a/c recharge.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know what I could get for a 94 accord EX (value?) with new timing belt water pump oil pan gasket raditaor, brakes, tires, plugs and wires its a filly loaded 170k miles, leather, power everything, cd, alloy wheels that have some scuffs, common minor rust on rear fenders. a burn and a tear the in the front pass/drivers seats respectively. Just an estimate, I was thinking 2 grand it runs perfect. Just needs a a/c recharge.
u need to make a new thread. its not cool to highjack someone elses thread
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bad faran, the thing im pointing to is the v-tech solinoid and how u put the lil red box. i need to learn how to do that. any way heres an exlpoded view of a head i have lying around
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u need to make a new thread. its not cool to highjack someone elses thread
HAHAHAHA hey ark tell that to faran, look who started this thread, it was jacked from me!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol oh snaps. ur post was so off topic i didnt even think to check who was op. wow talk about picking my face up. so u getting rid of it now whats up with that
Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HAHAHAHA hey ark tell that to faran, look who started this thread, it was jacked from me!

I did not hijack it I used "Search" option before starting the thread and posted my problem since same discussion and problem but anyways arkangel2487 thanks for such a clear explanation and pictures I think you showed the exact same place and area where my Car is leaking also any thoughts where to buy this VTEC solenoid seal???

One more doubt those 4 screws on the Head are they easy to pull like the ones at the top also Should I replace both the seals???
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faran
I did not hijack it I used "Search" option before starting the thread and posted my problem since same discussion and problem but anyways arkangel2487 thanks for such a clear explanation and pictures I think you showed the exact same place and area where my Car is leaking also any thoughts where to buy this VTEC solenoid seal???

One more doubt those 4 screws on the Head are they easy to pull like the ones at the top also Should I replace both the seals???
start your own thread you noob!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so this mechanic i found on craigslist says he can find out whats going on and give me an estimate before he does any work. $100 to remove the intake manifold and find the leak. So He calls me and says its $400 and I can come look at it and he'll show me what he did, Im like wtf i thought you were gonna call me first and tell me what needed to be replaced. But anyways I get there hepoints to the vtec solenoid and says he had to take off the intake to get to it.

I'm like you dont have to take the intake off to that im not paying $400, you didnt even ask my permission to do the work (im guessing since it was such an easy fix and he already put that much work into it he just finished it up) But then he's like well your not getting your car back until you pay me the $400, so im like yea ok and call the police, they get there make me pay the $100 which I agreed i owed and took the car, he tried to get me to sign something ad im like no way, and he just put paid in full for $100 so i signed it so he couldnt take me to court which was his only option of gettting paid!!!

So long story short I got it fixed for $100 and a bunch of BS but how much would a honda dealer charge me for this, he just replaced the snowman shaped seal with the strainer looking part on one part thats laying on the towel that attached or the gasket sealing teh solenoid to the back of the engine??

and you dont need to remove the intake to get to this piece correct?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and thats why im soooooo glad im my own mechanic. honestly u coulda done it urself for about 25 and if he had a brain he coulda done it without takin the intake off. he was prob trying to get a clear view but thats overkill. either way glad its fixed

Quick Reply: Please Help! severe oil leak 2 mechanics no answers!