Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Please help:No Dashlights, no running lights, no tail lights......

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please help:No Dashlights, no running lights, no tail lights......

Originally Posted by Bobe2318
hi I am new to this site but I have read a number of conversations that have helped me before. I have now ran into trouble trying to figure out why my dash lights, running lights and tail lights don't work, my head lights, turn signals and brake lights all work and on a side note my dash lights only come on when I apply the brake pedal, they light up fine then I release the brake they go away. ive checked fuses, any ideas past that what it could be, I know this a old conversation but any help will be appreciated. thanks
Did you ever get this fixed?
I just bought a 98 Honda accord ex 4 cylinder 4 door. One night after hubby installed the after market stereo, something shorted and now no dash lights or tail/running lights. We tried all the fuses, in the driver side door and under the hood. We replaced ALL of the small fuses as well as the large black ones under the hood. This didn't fix our problem. So we replaced the head light relay switch and still nothing. Hubby checked the stereo connections and it all looks good. He taped off the dimmer/illumination wire (orange and white) so we know that isn't the problem.
I see many people mentioning that the multiplex control unit is the problem. However we can't afford to take this in to get it fixed.
At this point we've just been avoiding driving at night, and if we have to we take my old car until we get enough saved up for the repair. We are afraid to try to replace it ourselves and screw something up electrically.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs.Romo92
Did you ever get this fixed?
I just bought a 98 Honda accord ex 4 cylinder 4 door. One night after hubby installed the after market stereo, something shorted and now no dash lights or tail/running lights. We tried all the fuses, in the driver side door and under the hood. We replaced ALL of the small fuses as well as the large black ones under the hood. This didn't fix our problem. So we replaced the head light relay switch and still nothing. Hubby checked the stereo connections and it all looks good. He taped off the dimmer/illumination wire (orange and white) so we know that isn't the problem.
I see many people mentioning that the multiplex control unit is the problem. However we can't afford to take this in to get it fixed.
At this point we've just been avoiding driving at night, and if we have to we take my old car until we get enough saved up for the repair. We are afraid to try to replace it ourselves and screw something up electrically.
What about the pass side under dash fuse box, the #10 fuse in the PASS side under dash fuse box would be where I would start
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by poorman212
What about the pass side under dash fuse box, the #10 fuse in the PASS side under dash fuse box would be where I would start
Yes actually we replaced every single fuse in the car, Just in case. Even if they weren't blown 😖
But thank you for the suggestion!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs.Romo92
We tried all the fuses, in the driver side door and under the hood.
Ok, you just didn't say anything about the pass side under dash fuse box.....just drivers and under hood. There are three on this car.

Have a volt meter and willing to do some testing?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Ok, you just didn't say anything about the pass side under dash fuse box.....just drivers and under hood. There are three on this car.

Have a volt meter and willing to do some testing?
I'm sorry I didn't realize there was one on that side. 😖 I looked in my owners manual and it just says drivers side and under hood. I'll take a look and let you know! Thank you!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Trial User

One thing is certain, the 2001 Cl owners manual and acura website are completely wrong when it comes to FUSE box descriptions. The fuse that controls, RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS, POWER DOOR LOCKS, POWER TRUNK RELEASE, CLOCK, DASH LIGHTS, AND MORE.... is the fuse box on the passenger side of the glove box ... FUSE 13. its a 15A fuse. Thanks Honda
Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Gadget_Master
One thing is certain, the 2001 Cl owners manual and acura website are completely wrong when it comes to FUSE box descriptions. The fuse that controls, RUNNING/PARKING LIGHTS, POWER DOOR LOCKS, POWER TRUNK RELEASE, CLOCK, DASH LIGHTS, AND MORE.... is the fuse box on the passenger side of the glove box ... FUSE 13. its a 15A fuse. Thanks Honda
I did not know that! I looked today at this fuse box and didn't see anything related to my problem so I didn't try changing any of them. I will try changing that fuse.
But my question is, if that's the fuse that's causing the issues then why does my clock, power door locks and power trunk release still work?
Just wondering. This stuff is so confusing to me. It was honestly a ton easier to work on my Crown Vic. Even though it's a POS haha.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Please help: No tail lights......after stereo install

Ok i have a similar issue but not as extreme. I have a 04 Accord, installed an aftermarket radio, wired correctly. My taillights wont come on, my dash is fine, my headlights are fine, some interior lights are fine. The only interior light that is not functioning properly is the from dome, they DO NOT come on when the door is open, however they do come on manually. The rare dome light comes on when the door is open. My dimmer on dash board works fine. I checked the fuses inside the car and the fuses under the hood.

With all that said does anyone know the resolution ?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lhd dc2
Check your interior/radio/instrument cluster fuses. Its located on both your driver side and passenger side fuse panel on the side of your dash.

If all fuses are fine. It might be your multiplex control unit. If this video fixes your problem then it is the unit. Its the blue box located on your Fuse box on the driver side.

I had this same issue. And its fixed.
I have that same problem in my 2000 V6. See thread here:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...issue-3289130/

Thinking now it probably is the MPU. Everything else I have tried, driver and passenger side fuses, even the lighting relays under the hood. And even if it is the MPU, I'm not sure which one it is, left side or right side.

Snoop.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this same issue on a 94 civic hatch. It started gradually when I'd rotate the light switch the tail and dash lights would not always come on. If I wiggled it a little bit they would, until one day they wouldn't. The issue was where the wiring harness plugs into the light switch in the steering column. Unplugged it, plugged it back in securely and all started working again.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by CooBreeze
Hi fellas,

I'm new on this board but have used it many times for info. I want to thank you all for the help you have already givin me.

Now as the topic said I don't have and Dash/Cluster lights, no running lights, no tail lights. The tail lights come on if I hit my breaks. And my blinker lights are working fine.

Also I've checked all my fuses and they are all fine. Under the hood is a Light Relay! #s on it are 90-4505-01 and staped on the other side is 1a251.

Now I've checked for that part online and came up with nothing. Could this need replacing? Has anyone else delt with this issue before? Any help would be much apprecated.

BTW It's a 91 Honda Accord LX 4dr

Just replace the license plate fuse. It's on the passenger side fuse box. Problem solved!!! I also just put in a alpine deck.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What did the Multiplex Unit repair cost you? Same thing happened to me tonight when i attempted to install a brighter LED bulb in my dome light housing. Blew a fuse, replaced it, but now my backlight of all bulbs that can be dimmed are out.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Trial User

i have a '95 Accord with a strange problem. turn on the turn signal 45mph or less and the speedometer bottoms down to 0 then goes back to your current speed.
Also, turn signals and gear box light 'pulse' when using the turn signal. Cold weather now, and it seems to not be happening when i first start driving. also, my car horn
only works when it's cold. I've asked several people and heard - shift sensor, battery ground wire, instrument control cluster, turn signal/headlight combo column switch
and car horn issue is the clock spring. i have a multi meter, voltage tester and continuity tester, just not sure where to start with this.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bobe2318
hi I am new to this site but I have read a number of conversations that have helped me before. I have now ran into trouble trying to figure out why my dash lights, running lights and tail lights don't work, my head lights, turn signals and brake lights all work and on a side note my dash lights only come on when I apply the brake pedal, they light up fine then I release the brake they go away. ive checked fuses, any ideas past that what it could be, I know this a old conversation but any help will be appreciated. thanks

Sounds like harmonic balancer or alternator. Its as if the alternator is not creating enough juice until its iver 45 mph. I had a bad harmonic balancer that would slip and cause similar issues

With the car running check the pulley, by observing, for abnormal wobble and movement.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:22 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its January in 2021. Bought a 1998 Honda Accord for my daughter. After market stereo caused lights to go out - came to this forum after changing multiplexor and trying the bypass method as well. Then I came across your solution the #10 passenger side fuse. THAT WAS THE CULPRIT. I am one of those fellas that won't stop till its fixed - i am packing it in at 1 am - but know my manners and wanted to thank you before I forgot about it tomorrow! "You shouldn't call that fella Poorman212 - you should call him "Lifesaver!" From the great state of Texas - THANK YOU POORMAN212!!!
The following users liked this post: