Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Please Help! Major Suspension Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Major Suspension Problem.

I just got my set Skunk2 lowering springs installed today (2.25 inches in the front 2.5 in the back) with koni yellows. Everything works/looks good exept for one major problem, In the front the upper control arm is touching the top of the wheel well. I don't know much about suspension and not really sure what the upper control arm does but I would think that it should be able to move up and down. The guy that did the install said I would have to cut out the metal in that area to let the control arm travel. Is this true? Is this safe? I drove it home but was supper carefull, Is it even safe to drive? will the control arm bend? Please help, I don't know what to do. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Please Help! Major Suspension Problem. (hs2000)

ttt, Anyone?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:27 AM

what year accord do you have. I have the skunk2 coilovers with a 3" drop and have plenty of travel. But also I am running coilovers so my suspension is not as compressed as yours. You control arms really work with you suspension and need to travel. With the control arm not being able to move you car really mess stuff up in the suspension.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Please Help! Major Suspension Problem. (btlfed1)

I have a 94 accord. What stuff will it mess up?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it touching when the car is just sitting there or is it hitting when you are driving?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Help! Major Suspension Problem. (Stew Pidasso)

Yes, it can cause problems. If it gets stuck up in there from a good bump, well read on...

Read these two threads in full to read about my related problems...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=278613
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=285575
Old 05-23-2003, 09:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stew Pidasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it touching when the car is just sitting there or is it hitting when you are driving?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is touching at all times, Can the suspension still work? I am getting it fixed in a few days but is it ok to drive for now? I know it does not make much sense but the handling is perfect. It is firm when cornering and absorbs bumbs pretty well. Doesn't make much sense to me either. The only thing I can think of is either the control arm does not do much or under normal conditions does not move much anyway. But my main concern is if I can still drive it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:08 AM

Thats a pretty low drop. I run coilovers and agx's, and have my coil's as low as they can go on the bump stop (1/4 of the full bump stop size), and my controls arms have free movement, but no shock travel. I would take care of your control arm clearance problem as soon as possible.

Do a search on camber kits for accords, and you'll discover that you can tear ball joins pretty easily when they get caught like it souds yours are going to do soon. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That just doesn't sound right. Are you sure you don't have the rear springs in the front or something. My car was super low and it didn't touch just sitting there. I don't really see how someone could go much lower than mine and still drive it...

Old 05-24-2003, 07:18 AM

I think it may have something to do with the camber kit, I don't know. I am getting it fixed on tuesday. Iwill see what they say.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:10 PM

I just did some neuspeed spring in mine and i had the same problem. take and cut it out and you will have no problems. i have a 95 ex. it will ride at lot better after cutting it!
Old 05-25-2003, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Please Help! Major Suspension Problem. (forcedaccord95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forcedaccord95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take and cut it out and you will have no problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cut what out? The wheel well? I brought it to a shop and they said they would not cut out the wheel well because it is a unibody car and it would weaken the car to much. So I found another shop who's owner has a 94 accord on air bags and he said he would "cut" some of the control arm off so it would work. I don't know how well that will work but I trust him because he did it on his car.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hs2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it may have something to do with the camber kit, I don't know. I am getting it fixed on tuesday. Iwill see what they say.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly... once u drop a car with a camber kit... it pushes the control arm out, which in turn causes the control arm to hit a part of the wheel well that is not as high as the original part... You have 2 options... 1) shave the inner fender wall...2)take the camber kit out...I chose to shave the fender wall... helped a lot... not more hitting, but then the guy at the shop had to bump up the wheel well a lot higher causing it to be all bumpy at the susupension points when you open your hood. Oh yea, he shaved down the ball koint area where there was excess metal was hitting...
Old 05-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE=Stew Pidasso]That just doesn't sound right. Are you sure you don't have the rear springs in the front or something. My car was super low and it didn't touch just sitting there. I don't really see how someone could go much lower than mine and still drive it...

[/QUOTE]

how much of a drop you got stew!??[
Old 05-27-2003, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Please Help! Major Suspension Problem. (patastinky)

Well I am glad to post that today I got it fixed. The upper control arm was shaved just a few mm and it works great now. No hitting or anything. The ride is smoth over bumbs but yet still firm in the corners. It is better then I thought it would be. I would recomend it to anyone