Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

PH22... the poor engine? what is it?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PH22... the poor engine? what is it?

Hello to all, I want to ask you guys your opinions about an engine inside a Philippine model Honda Accord. The reason I called it the poor engine is because I can never find the components that I use to see in a American model Accord. This engine has a label PH22 and it is a vtec but it has no oxygen sensor, and no egr valve. Come to think of it, how the hell is this engine going to pass the emissions test? I don't know about Philippines' regulatory standards for car emissions but if this car from year 1997 up to now is still legally registered, the regulations must be pretty below standard or there is no regulations at all. Maybe that explains why I feel so dirty and itchy for just an hour spending outside Manila. Anyway, the other thing I am wondering is the car's capability to control its fuel efficiency in the absence of an oxygen sensor. I've tested the car it is really getting very low scores in fuel economy and the smell of gas in exhaust. I've checked the spark plugs and it is indeed running very rich...a lot of carbon deposits.

I will appreciate any of your opinions with this car and any suggestions to make the fuel efficiency much better. It is just sad that honda shows some form of discrimination by degrading their products if it is going to be just for some third world country. Every consumer has the right to have high quality products. What Honda did is just wrong by contributing more pollution to an already polluted country.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PH22... the poor engine? what is it?

i think the ph22 is a f22b1. any engine check lights? which ecu are you running. you can live without the egr but ide say you need a downstream 02 sensor to fix the a/f ratio. you see any plugs hanging around the steering rack area?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your reply bdmlilburn, I will post the ecu numbers in a while. It seems this one has its ecu located on the passenger side floor and not on the driver side which I got used to. I did not see any plugs hanging around though all seems to be properly connected.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a pic of your engine bay just in case.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the pics guys.

http://imageshack.us/g/710/20111209153014.jpg/
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your reply bdmlilburn, I will post the ecu numbers in a while. It seems this one has its ecu located on the passenger side floor and not on the driver side which I got used to. I did not see any plugs hanging around in steering rack area, all seems to be properly connected and the check engine light goes off after engine starts.

http://imageshack.us/g/710/20111209153014.jpg/
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the F22B1. Same engine we have in the 94-97 EX models here.
Nice grounding kit.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. What do you think about the ecu? I've search the web but the Y51 series does not show up on anything it is almost non-existent. I think its an OBD1 but something is missing with the wiring. I really want to discover if this engine does not really have an O2 sensor as stock because its MPG is really horrible.

I'm trying to look for ways to improve MPG and the absence of the O2 sensor really bugs me. This could have been a great accord...so sad.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the code of the ecu is P0A. The Y after that shows automatic or manual, 00-50 are manual and 51-99 are automatic.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still hoping that someone could shed some light about this engine. Does Honda really have a bad habit unfair treatment to different countries? "If you want a good Honda it must from either USA, UK, or Japan, the others are just crap.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Trial User

+1
just bought a used one recently..and was also thinking of a way to improve mpg...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice buy. Accords will serve you a long time if you know how to take care of it but if it is Phils version you can very well expect it will have very poor fuel efficiency compared to its American & euro counterparts because automakers has a very bad habit of degrading their cars if the country of destination is poor in status. Their all greedy bastards nonetheless.

The absence of an O2 sensor will be definitely be a dead end in your quest of improving your MPG. It is like making the ECU utterly stupid in metering fuel flow. But, you can try testing the MAP sensor for any defects. It should show voltage difference every time there is a increase in vacuum. second, you can try checking the fuel system including the electronic injectors for proper pressure and spray pattern - be sure to replace the injector seals with new ones. Third, check iginition system especially the spark plugs and including the timing. Fourth, check your air filter. Fifth, check the valve clearance. Sixth, check the throttle cable it should have a little slack. finally, have the wheels aligned & balanced by Honda because these cars require some special tools for the camber. misaligned wheels results to an increase in rolling resistance thus increasing fuel consumption.

Also, change your oil to a fully synth 5W-40 to lessen the load on the oil pump. The one I use is Mobil 1 but the Honda oil is very good also and it can also give you better protection from cold starts and prolong your engine's life.

Goodluck!