Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord 5spd 91 LX, broken ball joint and bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 5spd 91 LX, broken ball joint and bushings

I just found out that all that squeaking is the passenger side ball joint and the stabilizer bushings need to be replaced. I was thinking about getting aftermarket bushings like Energy. Thoughts? Plus, I wanted to see if there was anything I can do to get a little more torque. I check out tuner mags, websites, and I have searched around this forum with some help and ideas but it's hard to find something for the beginning stages.
I definitely don't plan for this car to be an all out racer or anything just a bit more punch when I'm going down the highways or when my friends want to mess with me in their cheapy ebay-like intaked integras.
Any help is great thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord 5spd 91 LX, broken ball joint and bushings (eWock)

I used the ES on the front of my 1994 Accord (all the bushings). I like them very, very much. Much tighter response, but not rock hard like Prothane and other manufacturers.

The problem was ES did not make a set for the rear (or ANY rear parts), so I had to decide to use Prothane or go with entire new OEM control arms (Honda no longer sold the bushings separate, you had to buy the entire arms). ES makes a softer urethane compound than and other in the world, except OEM.

I ended up using the ES for the front, and buying OEM arms for the rear (I didn't want a stiff, hard ride from Prothane, that's why I used ES for the front). No problem-if you know much about cars, you know the front bushings are much more critical than the rear and if you needed to choose you would install the slightly softer bushings at the rear.

The car handles very, very nice. I like the ES- tight enough to give better control, but not hard enough to give a harsh ride (a VERY common complaint for some who install hard urethane bushings). 10 years or so from now, when I do the front again, ES should have a kit for the front.

Check the ES netsite- they will list any/all kits for your car. And get ready to get GREASY (about the dirtiest of all work on cars!!)