Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

only one fan working help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 only one fan working help please!!

hey everyone i have a 89 accord and when we first got it neither of the fans worked.. but my dad somehow took two wires from the fan and put them together and now the passenger side fan works and keeps my car pretty cool! i just really wanna get the other fan working just so it stays extra cool if anyone could help that would be great thanks!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: only one fan working help please!!

Originally Posted by Kgill23
hey everyone i have a 89 accord and when we first got it neither of the fans worked.. but my dad somehow took two wires from the fan and put them together and now the passenger side fan works and keeps my car pretty cool! i just really wanna get the other fan working just so it stays extra cool if anyone could help that would be great thanks!!
are you talking about engine cooling fans or da in dash fan if its the indash one theres a pipe on the left side of the engine bay with a butterfly u might need to open by hand if its the engine fan either make sure theres no rubber wear on the wires or disconnections any where if its wires properly it may be the fans motor died u can buy a new one from ur local car part store for cheap or u can buy a aftermarket one that will replace both and keep the engine cooler
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We know the one rad fan motor (engine cooling-right/pass side) is good, it is wired somehow and it works. Does it run all the time or cycle on and off as the temp gauge goes up. If not, there are testing procedures for finding out why it is not working as it should (switch, fuse, relay, ect).
PS-The left/drivers side fan is called the condersor fan motor (it shoud be a 4 cyl?)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it runs when the engine is on and when i shut it off until it cools down so it keeps my engine at a good temperature i just really wanna get the other one working too.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and yes its a 4 cyl.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on my 91, the fan on the left (looking under hood from front) is the cooling fan. the one on the right is for the A/C only. it never comes on if you arent running the a/c.

is your car throwing any codes? coolant temp sensor maybe?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep haha code 6 coolant temp sensor im putting in a new one today i hope it will work after that!! ill let u guys know!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that should fix it. the CTS tells the computer how hot the coolant is, and when the fan needs to run. w/o it, it just never runs.

personally, i dont see why they dont wire them so that they open short when the sensor dies, causing the fan to never STOP running. maybe in cold regions that would be a problem, but at least then as person could just unplug it for the winter, instead of risking heat damage if the malfunction occurs in the summer.

anyway, if that doesnt fix it, you might want to check the wiring harness for breaks or melts. dont forget to reset the computer after installing the new sensor.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright man thanks for all your help. how do you reset the computer??
Old 07-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to be honest, im not real sure on your model. on pretty much any car though, you can pull the battery terminals and let it set for ~5 min. there is usually a fuse that you can pull that will do the same thing w/o unhooking the battery and resetting your clock, radio, etc. try searching the forum to see if you can find out the fuse method, if you care.

it should go w/o saying, but also make sure your dad undoes whatever he did in there before you hook everything back up.

for future reference, any time the car is not running right, or something on it isnt working, the first thing you want to do is check for engine codes. a lot of the time a sensor is to blame. if you ever run into a sensor code, but replacing it doesnt fix the problem, check the wires. a short is the same as a bad sensor to the computer. also, do yourself a favor, if you havent already, and spend $20 for a haynes manual for the car. it will walk you through most of the basics. or you can search online for an actual service manual instead, which will have much better diagrams and instructions.