Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

please help my brand new suspension rides like shit in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help my brand new suspension rides like **** in the rear

i have a 95 accord lx 2dr. a few weeks ago i put brand new H&R coilovers and tokico HP shocks. when i first put them on my car was slammed to the ground and i drove my car like that for two days but it was too low so i raised it to the max. well about a day after i raised the car my rear suspension started making a sqeaking noise and the rear driver side is really bouncy, like if i go to the back of the car and push down on the trunk the car bounces up and down but if i push on the passenger side or the front the car barley moves. also ben i hit a bump in the road or go over a speed bump my car makes a clunk sound. now i know i should relapce my bushings, but could my rear shock be blown, if so what could have cause a brand new shock to blow out, what should i do now,and do you think my warranty is voided cause i lowered my car too much? any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: please help my brand new suspension rides like **** in the rear

If you push on the car and it bounces that is usually an indication that the shock/dampener is toast. You may have blown the fluid seal in that shock having the car lowered too far. IIRC Tokico blues (HP) are good for about 1-1.5 inches of drop.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i dropped it more than that but why would the rear go out and not the front. i mean the front ride REALLY nice, but the back is just ****ed up. if i put my stock springs back on my car with the tokico shock would it help any?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Once the shock is blown it won't matter what sping you put on it. It will still bounce beacuse it's ability to dampen the springs recoil is gone. How much it bounces depends on the spring rate. I would imagine that the stock sping may bounce even more.... I'm not 100% on what the stock spring rates are though.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Once the shock is blown it won't matter what sping you put on it. It will still bounce beacuse it's ability to dampen the springs recoil is gone. How much it bounces depends on the spring rate. I would imagine that the stock sping may bounce even more.... I'm not 100% on what the stock spring rates are though.
x2
Once that shock bottomed, you blew out the metering valve and lost damping action.
Springs determine the ride height, shocks determine damping rate. Neither contribute to the other.
What was probably missing were the jounce bumpers which are normally installed as part of the shock assembly (#12 in this illustration)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHOCK+ABSORBER

This keeps the shock from bottoming (and ruining itself).
At the very least you need a new shock(s) and to reinstall the jounce bumpers (or you'll be doing all this again.

P