Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

OEM Replacement Flywheel does NOT include Pilot Bearing/Bushing. Is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Replacement Flywheel does NOT include Pilot Bearing/Bushing. Is it needed?

I recently purchased a clutch kit and replacement flywheel from autozone. The clutch kit does NOT include a pilot bearing/bushing.

The motor is an F22 from a Honda Accord as well as a stock manual transmission from a Honda Accord (1995) both being put into a Honda Prelude 1995 Si.

The replacement flywheel does not include one either.

The original flywheel had a pilot bearing in it.

The new flywheel has an opening that is smaller than the original flywheel's opening (if the pilot bushing were removed) and is also larger than the opening of the pilot bearing (on the original)

Basically, the opening of the new flywheel is not large enough to accept the same bearing as the original. It also is a little larger than the inner diameter of the pilot bearing.

Autozone does NOT provide a pilot bushing or bearing for car at all, so I am kind of stumped.

Do these new flywheels not require any pilot bushing or pilot bearing?

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by envisioning; 04-02-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OEM Replacement Flywheel does NOT include Pilot Bearing/Bushing. Is it needed?

return it and buy exedy replacement clutch on ebay/amazon or whereever. its probably cheaper and guaranteed more reliable than any autozone clutch/flywheel. saving you headaches now.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OEM Replacement Flywheel does NOT include Pilot Bearing/Bushing. Is it needed?

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
return it and buy exedy replacement clutch on ebay/amazon or whereever. its probably cheaper and guaranteed more reliable than any autozone clutch/flywheel. saving you headaches now.
Wise words been spoken there. Amazon has the best price with free shipping.
I'm sure the AZ clutch will fail prematurely.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to be cautious of regarding parts store clutch sets for our cars is the clutch alignment tool.

I recently installed an Exedy stage 1 clutch set on my Fidanza flywheel and the alignment tool included with the Exedy set fits much tighter into the pilot bearing than the last Oreillys tool did.

The result is now that my clutch is properly centered and aligned.
Before, using the smaller, looser fitting tool it sat askew slightly.
Just something to watch for.