Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

If you dont want the advice then why ask??
Frank Allwn
Old 10-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halfkoreanboy
I agree,its fair priced. Its meant for Honda,I bought 3 qts. of oem Honda dw-1 and it was LESS than $8 bucks a qt. at the dealer,compared to saving a dollar/qt. on maxlife just not worth the long term damage risk to me or even spending more on useless synthetic atf. I would never put synthetic in a automatic tranny
well you are already using a synthetic aft in your car that is what dw-1 is.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did in my 92, and lost the transmission the following day, do as you will but you asked/ can i say the lube guard caused the problem?? no i cant but i never had a problem until i used it and it was the very next day, wouldnt never try that again, anyway why do uyou want to play with such a expensive thing?? i dont get it.
Frank Allen
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a note, i found Hoda atf at a car quest for less money than the dealer, some may find it i dont know but i just happened to see it and bought some. i never seen so much talk about atf before, good luck
Frank
Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by djkurious
Actually, for the 95 it states Honda ATF or Dexron 2 ATF only. IIRC the 97 calls for Dexron as a temporary replacement.
All Honda service manuals calling for Dexron fluid (up 1990 models) have been superseded by a service bulletin with the advent of ATF Z1. (Which itself has been superseded by DW)
Honda no longer endorses Dexron for any of its transmission. Whats more, Dexron 2 and Mercon 2 no longer exists in their original form,nor can they be purchased under those names. You will only find fluid labeled DEX2 or MERC2. These fluid are not made with the same specifications as the original GM and Ford fluid.

Last edited by DCFIVER; 11-13-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guys there you have it.

Dex II is NOT available anymore.

Honda ATF is available and Dex III is available.

Run which ever one you choose, but the jist of this thread is CHANGE YOUR ATF and your tranny will last longer, if it's not TOO late already.

Once a year or 2 qts at each oil change, take your pick, but JUST DO IT!!!

Brad
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I worked at Napa for a couple years. Anything stop leak is also stop pump. what mechanically sounds good about introducing foreign matter into a liquid supply with rotating parts? I hated selling the stuff. If it leaks you have a worn seal, replace that instead of a whole tranny. There are suitable replacements for Z1. But this is my first automatic so I always used motor oil haha.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a honda certified mechanic up to 1995. In 1991 I bought a new accord EX and have driven it to 250,000 miles now.

Every so often an Auto Trans will fail. As a mechanic repairing honda's for a living, I was told that the auto trans's lasted forever AS LONG AS you added an add-on filter on the transmission return line (from the radiator to the transmission). The problem was any failure or even pieces of metal floating round the the fluid woudl be pumped right back into the mechanical parts, causing scarring and fast wear.

I took that to heart and installed a filter after only 6 months and 5,000 miles.

I also used Honda ATF religiously, of course haveing it there for free made it a no brainer.

I drive my car hard every day for 21 years. I mean I use 50-75% throttle from most stops on most days for 15+ years. At the 220,000 point the transmission died.

I thought I had fried it, but when I took it apart (and I disassembled EVERYTHING) I found the wear was minimal on almost everything. I replaced the clutch packs, and rubber o-rings, and bearings... but mostly for peace of mind and safety. I did find a broken bearing and bits and pieces of the housing, but other than that, it looked very clean and nice.

It took me 6 months (ordering parts from Majestic honda and waiting for them to ship) but I got it back together. When I drove it, it had the same problem.

To make a long story short, I found that that filter had collected ALL the broken bits from the broken bearing and all the flakes of metal and it was plugged up. I could not drive the car for more than a mile or two before it started to miss shifts... etc

When I finally checked the filter, and found all the broken metal in it, and replaced it, suddenly the car ran perfect. Perhaps it would have run for awhile more if I replaced the filter, but at least I had essentially a brand new AT. I have since driven it another 40,000 for the last 8 years, and it still runs perfectly. Oh, I use Dexron II since 1995 when I left Honda.

As I understand it, the biggest danger to the AT is HEAT. a hot motor, a hot day and a long long drive then stop and go traffic in the desert.. will fry any ATF so it no longer will protect the metal. Or like in my case, thinking I had a sports car too many years led to catastrophic bearing failure, and plugging up of the filter. If you live in hot climate, add an ATF cooler. Everyone should add a Transmission filter. (oh when I worked at honda from 90-95, every rebuilt ATF provided to us by honda included a factory approved and required ATF filter to be installed to collect all broken metal pieces before it circulates throughout the motor.

So, get a filter. If you live in VERY hot climates get an ATF cooler too, but
don't hang up so much on fluid, it is tiny part of overall picture.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by biospot
If you live in hot climate, add an ATF cooler.
Everyone should add a Transmission filter
Is there a DIY or tech on adding these? Any parts or manufacturers recommended for these add-ons?

Don't know if its because I am new but I keep getting this message when doing a search: "HONDA-TECH STATUS: Brief outage, will return online shortly."
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Trial User

Hello Forum Members
I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE (4 cyl, 4 door sedan). Four weeks ago, I completed 62k miles and received a transmission service light on my dashboard. I took the car to Jiffy lube, where they performed a transmission fluid exchange; they flushed the original fluid and refilled the tranny with Pennzoil Dexron III fluid. Couple of days ago, after going through several forums here and on other sites, I realized that I shouldn't have allowed them to put Dexron III in my car because my car is supposed to get only Honda ATF-Z1 fluid in the tranny. It's been 4 weeks and 500 miles since Pennzoil Dexron III was put in my car; I haven't experienced any problem so far. I sometimes feel that the car is running rougher but I may be over reacting.
What do you recommend? Should I keep driving with this fluid in the tranny, or should I replace it with Honda ATF-Z1 immediately. Is it ok to wait for atleast 1 year to do the replacement; will that cause harm to the internals of my tranny, or will it be ok as long as I replace it in one year.

Second question: Jiffy Lube also flushed my original antifreeze coolant and replaced it with their recycled antifreeze (which they claim exceeds the manufacturer's requirements for antifreeze). Is it ok to drive with Jiffy Lube's recycled antifreeze for another year, or is that also a candidate for immediate replacement.
Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gauravsoni00
Hello Forum Members
I have a 2007 Honda Accord SE (4 cyl, 4 door sedan). Four weeks ago, I completed 62k miles and received a transmission service light on my dashboard. I took the car to Jiffy lube, where they performed a transmission fluid exchange; they flushed the original fluid and refilled the tranny with Pennzoil Dexron III fluid. Couple of days ago, after going through several forums here and on other sites, I realized that I shouldn't have allowed them to put Dexron III in my car because my car is supposed to get only Honda ATF-Z1 fluid in the tranny. It's been 4 weeks and 500 miles since Pennzoil Dexron III was put in my car; I haven't experienced any problem so far. I sometimes feel that the car is running rougher but I may be over reacting.
What do you recommend? Should I keep driving with this fluid in the tranny, or should I replace it with Honda ATF-Z1 immediately. Is it ok to wait for atleast 1 year to do the replacement; will that cause harm to the internals of my tranny, or will it be ok as long as I replace it in one year.

Second question: Jiffy Lube also flushed my original antifreeze coolant and replaced it with their recycled antifreeze (which they claim exceeds the manufacturer's requirements for antifreeze). Is it ok to drive with Jiffy Lube's recycled antifreeze for another year, or is that also a candidate for immediate replacement.
Thank you!
Flush the Dexron out and add new Honda atf immediately. As for the antifreeze, drain, refill, and bleed with Honda antifreeze. All this can be done in your garage with minimum tools. Also, you may want to post this in the correct forum.

Last edited by djkurious; 04-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Trial User

hi , new to this just joined , I read a lot on what people say about fluids for autos , funny thing is , if you ever ask a auto mec (and you know him) if a auto gets rebuilt , it can take any type of fluid you decide to stick nito it , so long as you keep using that type , this is why from factory only that fluid should go in , BUT funny thing is if you look at the time of the fluid was made you will find oil companies make that so called certain brand for car companies , what they wont tell you that when the car company asks for that type to ber made , (with there brand) EG: Honda that they also make for the other OIL companies! soooo what to do ? L@@K either rebuild your auto and stick to the good fluid you like , OR really read the specs on the bottle or the brands web .
grab those clutch plates and seals fellas and start your clean and refit !
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This????

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...d-1qt/17134874
Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thecyclops
Not for Hondas.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djkurious
Not for Hondas.
Says its for hondas and references honda ATF specifically on the bottle.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Says its for hondas and references honda ATF specifically on the bottle.
Just go buy a damn bottle of HONDA Genuine ATF at the dealership and call it a day. You can argue it all you want, but in the end the Genuine will always be better.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
Just go buy a damn bottle of HONDA Genuine ATF at the dealership and call it a day. You can argue it all you want, but in the end the Genuine will always be better.
Not arguing,Im just broke.at 4.27 a bottle X 9 bottles,vs 8 a bottle X 9 bottle is almost twice the price....
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not arguing,Im just broke.at 4.27 a bottle X 9 bottles,vs 8 a bottle X 9 bottle is almost twice the price....
Is it worth having to replace your entire transmission after it doesn't run correctly?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK..Heres what I done,opinions please.
Because I couldnt find any hard reviews on the wallyworld ATF I mentioned,I went with castrol high mileage transmax that,again,referenced the honda fluid as compatible.
The issues were hard shifting and more specifically,hard shifting when gearing down,ie,passing someone,then letting off the gas,it would shift hard back into the next gear down and also would stay at that higher rpm/gear for slightly longer than it should before down shifting...
When I drained the fluid it was somewhere between black and cherry red with the drain plug covered and I cannot stress enough COVERED in a thick,gray goop which looked to be the mixture of shavings and tranny fluid.The drain bolt,as Im sure you guys know,tapers from the thread to the magnet which is smaller.The thickness of the goop was the same diameter,maybe a little more than the thread diameter.
I did the 3 quart 3 times (although mine seemed to take around 2.5-2.75) and on the last change added 5.oz of lubegard red...
I havent driven it enough to know if it done any good,as its after 9pm here in NC and when I did the final change I let the misses take it to the store,which is where it is now.
Opinions on what I did and the fluids/lubegard I added please.
Also I found out today that I have an oil leak but ONLY when its running.The valve cover gasket and tube seals were replaced 3 weeks ago so I know its not that,any ideas???Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do not ever use lube guard in your Honda, not a good idea to use any additives at all, use Honda transmission fluid only and not some other brand that says Honda compatable. I have no way to know if you have damage or not, sounds like the valve body is sticking. Honda fluid is avail at car quest or your Honda dealer, it may cost a little more but is worth it. garages use a one for all fluid whitch is a mistake I had to learn the hard way , also installing a filter in the return line is a great idea.
good luck
Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

the drain plug covered and I cannot stress enough COVERED in a thick,gray goop which looked to be the mixture of shavings and tranny fluid.The drain bolt,as Im sure you guys know,tapers from the thread to the magnet which is smaller.The thickness of the goop was the same diameter,maybe a little more than the thread diameter.
This is the sludge and goo that will eventually clog the sump filter. Being it is inaccessible, unless the case is removed(no pan), the best way to prevent this build up is regular ATF changes and if it has close to 200K miles, dump in 8 oz of SeaFoam's Trans Tune. This will help break down the sludge and goo so when you drain the trans again it will drain out this slurry.

Opinions on what I did and the fluids/lubegard I added please.
Never heard of Lubegard, and being that they use 'slick50' and other snake oils as comparisons, I would not trust it.

Something I have been meaning to do, is add a separate oil filter to the system.
Not the inline kind, but an engine oil type filtration, for easy filter servicing during flush service.
Also I found out today that I have an oil leak but ONLY when its running.The valve cover gasket and tube seals were replaced 3 weeks ago so I know its not that,any ideas???Thanks in advance for all the advice.
If it's only when running, check the oil pressure sensor under the intake near the oil filter, it is made of plastic and tends to leak when it ages. Check the front of the engine(timing belt side) and look for any of the crank, balance shaft or cam shaft seals from leaking. Also check the rear main seal area, between the engine and transmission.
Spray the whole engine with simple green, blast it off with the hose and see if you can find fresh oil leak after a drive.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Frank Allen
do not ever use lube guard in your Honda, not a good idea to use any additives at all, use Honda transmission fluid only and not some other brand that says Honda compatable. I have no way to know if you have damage or not, sounds like the valve body is sticking. Honda fluid is avail at car quest or your Honda dealer, it may cost a little more but is worth it. garages use a one for all fluid whitch is a mistake I had to learn the hard way , also installing a filter in the return line is a great idea.
good luck
I have read many times at BITOG that the lubegard red was very good with Hondas,but Im a newb with this for sure and I appreciate the comments...So I know the filter is in the tranny and cant be changed,but you can install your own filter??? Like a universal filter??
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
This is the sludge and goo that will eventually clog the sump filter. Being it is inaccessible, unless the case is removed(no pan), the best way to prevent this build up is regular ATF changes and if it has close to 200K miles, dump in 8 oz of SeaFoam's Trans Tune. This will help break down the sludge and goo so when you drain the trans again it will drain out this slurry.

Never heard of Lubegard, and being that they use 'slick50' and other snake oils as comparisons, I would not trust it.

Something I have been meaning to do, is add a separate oil filter to the system.
Not the inline kind, but an engine oil type filtration, for easy filter servicing during flush service.

If it's only when running, check the oil pressure sensor under the intake near the oil filter, it is made of plastic and tends to leak when it ages. Check the front of the engine(timing belt side) and look for any of the crank, balance shaft or cam shaft seals from leaking. Also check the rear main seal area, between the engine and transmission.
Spray the whole engine with simple green, blast it off with the hose and see if you can find fresh oil leak after a drive.
I actually got turned on to lubegard from BITOG with great reviews,but you know how the internet is...
Well now that I have the lubegard in,I dont know if it would be a good idea to mix with the seafoam you mentioned.Perhaps another 3 quart changes in a few thousand miles (crosses fingers) and Ill add the seafoam you mentioned.
I will check the stuff you mentioned from underneath,as the engine,to look at it is super clean,but the filler cap is cruddy,so Im sure the engine is also.I did an oil change with PP when I got it 2,000 miles ago and am going to do anther tomorrow.From what I understand to remove the sludge you either A-Do oil changes more frequently until gone,or B-AutoRX it...But not sure if I trust autoRX.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

So I know the filter is in the tranny and cant be changed,but you can install your own filter??? Like a universal filter??
There are inline transmission filters that you can purchase to splice into your trans cooler lines. They look similar to universal fuel filters.

But this would be the hot ticket...

The AT really should have its own temp gauge.

Most factory AT sump filters are mostly just screens, no real filtration.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
There are inline transmission filters that you can purchase to splice into your trans cooler lines. They look similar to universal fuel filters.

But this would be the hot ticket...

The AT really should have its own temp gauge.

Most factory AT sump filters are mostly just screens, no real filtration.
AWESOME!!! Ok,a general estimate of how much this would cost me??? And Im assuming that once the filter is installed that the filters are readily available at wallyworld,etc???

Quick Reply: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???