Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

I was using Valvoline atf-zr1 max life. It was making it shifter harder in all gears under medium throttle. Then I installed a new axle and grabbed the wrong fluid. I used Valvoline dex/merc max life and it killed my transmission in a few days. I just took it apart and the filter was full of clutch material.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my Accord with a slipping trans. Used some cheap Dexron lll in it with Gunk trans Slip for some months now seems to be working better. But I would not recommend it.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrotherAli
Lol go post that on a honda odessy forum and you would likely get flamed. Some of them used honda fluid and their tranny had problems, used maxlife and they were good.

EDIT: And I doubt the fluid is that strict spec wise. AFAIK most/all honda's use the one type of fluid, that doesnt sound that specialized. And on top of that they stopped making the original fluid so you have to use the newer fluid, which from what I know is pretty different than the old one; yet honda says its fine to use it.
I work at a shop and see firsthand what happens when a technician accidentally puts in the wrong fluids. Bad shifting, no shifting, or unusual sounds after the flush is done. So yes, tranny fluids have many different properties especially when you end up replacing oem trannys at no charge.

The new honda fluids main difference is that is has slightly more friction modifiers in it for smoother shifting on the newer hondas. Bc they no longer sell the old stuff they had to make it comparable w the older transmissions and it works fine.

The odyssey problem could be a variety of problems much like the 6th gen accords and their tranny woes. If you really feel that fluids don't matter do a simple search and see the multitude of problems people have had w non Honda fluid.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrotherAli
Lol go post that on a honda odessy forum and you would likely get flamed. Some of them used honda fluid and their tranny had problems, used maxlife and they were good.

EDIT: And I doubt the fluid is that strict spec wise. AFAIK most/all honda's use the one type of fluid, that doesnt sound that specialized. And on top of that they stopped making the original fluid so you have to use the newer fluid, which from what I know is pretty different than the old one; yet honda says its fine to use it.
I highly doubt that. The issues with those transmissions are widely known and just changing the transmission fluid is not going to magically make them better. This coming from an '03 Pilot owner that has an identical setup.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I Agree that it would be better to stick with honda tarnny fluid i recently put in some valvoline maxlife I can tell the difference in the shift it makes it shift harder in general i think....that is why i plan on doing a drain and refill as soon as i possibly can
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used Redline Synthetic ATF. No issues as of yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
I work at a shop and see firsthand what happens when a technician accidentally puts in the wrong fluids. Bad shifting, no shifting, or unusual sounds after the flush is done. So yes, tranny fluids have many different properties especially when you end up replacing oem trannys at no charge.

The new honda fluids main difference is that is has slightly more friction modifiers in it for smoother shifting on the newer hondas. Bc they no longer sell the old stuff they had to make it comparable w the older transmissions and it works fine.

The odyssey problem could be a variety of problems much like the 6th gen accords and their tranny woes. If you really feel that fluids don't matter do a simple search and see the multitude of problems people have had w non Honda fluid.

If im not mistaken i believe the newer dw-1 has less friction modifier so it wont wear out the tranny clutches as fast.

Just got me a 97 Accord and im going to do 4 drain and refills with nothing but dw-1 Honda fluid it has 128,000 miles i hope to get more than 300,000 out of it so im sticking with Honda
Old 08-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a Honda tec that was teaching me about rebuilding honda transmissions " Dex/Merx with BG Conditioner will work very well in most honda trans" Thats just what he told me. Im a Honda fluids man, but it was intresting to hear. Also he was a master tech so I beleave what he says... Not that I would do it...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
From a Honda tec that was teaching me about rebuilding honda transmissions " Dex/Merx with BG Conditioner will work very well in most honda trans" Thats just what he told me. Im a Honda fluids man, but it was intresting to hear. Also he was a master tech so I beleave what he says... Not that I would do it...
Honda ATF is a proprietary blend. He is wrong. Dex/Merc is not spec'ed for any Honda trans anymore.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still don't understand why people fight this? What is the big deal with using the Honda ATF?

What is the advantage of using another fluid? I can only think of negatives.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
I still don't understand why people fight this? What is the big deal with using the Honda ATF?

I agree,its fair priced. Its meant for Honda,I bought 3 qts. of oem Honda dw-1 and it was LESS than $8 bucks a qt. at the dealer,compared to saving a dollar/qt. on maxlife just not worth the long term damage risk to me or even spending more on useless synthetic atf. I would never put synthetic in a automatic tranny
Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

walmart is more convenient than dealer
Old 08-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do as you will, i tore up one and scred up another using off brand crap and aditives, had the same experience when i had a doge caravan, did not use there fluid, that one tore to pieces too, put in a new one and run for yrs never had any problems, i agree why take the chance?? simply not worth it
Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 93 Accord with 240k miles. This is the procedure that I use.

Guys,
I flush the whole transmission when I do mine. Here is how I do it. Start with the Engine OFF! Engine and transmission COLD is better. This is coming from memory while I am in Alabama and not at home.

1. Drain the transmission fluid, clean the magnetic plug, install a NEW aluminum crush washer and Torque to the OEM manual spec. (29 FT/LB). Refill the transmission with aprox 2.5 QTs of fluid. (Get a long funnel that fits down in the fill/dip stick hole)
2. Identify the fluid lines the come out of the front of the transmission that go to the oil cooler (in the bottom of the radiator).
3. Disconnect the top end of the black rubber hose closest to the engine. Measure the outside diameter O.D. of the steel tube (I think it is 5/16 I.D.). It doesn’t have pressure on the line so don’t worry about that, but may drip some.
4. Go to Home Depot, Lowes or hardware store and purchase 6 feet of clear plastic tubing to fit over the transmission steel tube, 5/16 I.D. You also need about 3 inches of copper tubing to fit inside the plastic tube, 5/16 O.D. You will need this 3 in piece to connect the plastic tube and the black rubber tube coming up from the cooler in the radiator.
5. Connect the clear tube to the steel tube coming out of the transmission. No clamps necessary as long as it is snug. Install the copper tube in the other end of the clear tube and connect it to the black rubber tube.
6. Start the engine and see which way the fluid flows. We want the fluid coming UP from the cooler. If it isn’t, switch to the other line. After you figure this out remove the end of the clear tube from the transmission tube, NOT THE COOLER LINE, and put the end in your milk jug.
7. Have 3 clear empty 1 gallon milk jugs or empty 5 qt oil jugs. The clear jugs are better to see the level and not spill fluid. Get two other helpers. One to sit in the driver seat to start and stop the engine, one to catch the fluid coming out of the clear tube and you to pour new fluid into the transmission. Have at least 2 gallons of new fluid opened and ready to pour into the transmission sitting within reach of the person pouring the fluid.
What you are going to do is this: Man your posts, start the engine let it IDLE, as the fluid is pushed out the clear tube, pour in new fluid in an equal amount. Watch the COLOR of the fluid coming out of the transmission. Continue the flush until the fluid coming out is the same color as the NEW fluid. Once it is, TURN OFF the engine. Remove the clear tube and reconnect the black rubber tube. Check the fluid level, adjust as necessary. Start the engine HOLD THE BRAKES and move the shift lever through ALL gears. Turn OFF the engine, check the fluid level, adjust as necessary, DON’T OVERFILL.

Low is BETTER (visible at the bottom of the cross hatch on the dip stick) till you drive the car and get it up to operating temperature, then make the final adjustment on a LEVEL SURFACE. DON’T OVERFILL!!!

By the way I have been running numerous brands of DEX III, to include Wal-Mart generic brand fluid ($10 gal) for the last 15 years in numerous Hondas with no problems.
Brad
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDMNSX

By the way I have been running numerous brands of DEX III, to include Wal-Mart generic brand fluid ($10 gal) for the last 15 years in numerous Hondas with no problems.
Brad
Oh well then thats proof enough! Hell with Honda fluid then!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls

Because people are stupid.

I am a tight *** when it comes to spending money but there are some things that you simply cannot cheap out on. Prime example - transmission fluid. I would secretly recommend Honda owners at the shop I worked at to not get their transmission flushed and only to use genuine Honda fluid instead of our "universal" transmission fluid. Many were thankful and appreciated my honest advice even though I would lose out on a $184.99 transmission flush sale.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,

Waiting for someone to advice if Spygard or Dexron II ATF will be good for my 2005 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cylinder.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

double post

Last edited by doctorbee; 10-20-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it won't be
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Chaulkie
Hi,

Waiting for someone to advice if Spygard or Dexron II ATF will be good for my 2005 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cylinder.
No. Go with this if you can't buy OEM, its made for Honda's and imports.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...6-p#fragment-1
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More response needed if Spygard or Dexron II ATF will be good for my 2005 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cylinder.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaulkie
More response needed if Spygard or Dexron II ATF will be good for my 2005 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cylinder.
So you've read this thread. Gotten replies. And still don't get it?

Anything other than OEM Honda ATF fluid should not be used. ONLY use OEM Honda ATF use OEM Honda ATF. Go to the dealership and buy some if you want a different mechanic shop to do it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever possible order the honda stuff online if you have to.

I run strictly Honda in my 03 even if I have to go to dealer or wait for them because I worship her like an occult follower.

But for my 92....I too wanted to save where I can. And most of my research lead to a very much chronicled positive Valvoline usage. So in that one I run Valvoline red container maxlife dexron stuff. Fully successfully.

I did a flush the same way someone took the time out to post to you....and I recommend it....basically ur unhooking a return line and using a see throu tube your dumping all the old into a container....then u shut it off every 2 quarts u empty and refill until you see it all come out red red red like the new stuff. This guarantees the oil comes out of the tranny and converter completely. You will need about 10 quarts for this operation.

I HIGHLY RECOMMMEND YOU SIMPLY STOCK UP ON HONDA OFF THE INTERNET IN ADVANCE.

DO NOT ADD CHIT. And could also recommend if ur feeling blockheaded Valvoline. Outside of that I would not take the chance on anything else.
I will likely go back to Honda ATF on both.....for fear of stupid valvoline changing their formula one day.

Also if you dump out about 2 quarts with every oil change....it's just about as good as an annual swap out. And requires you do a complete transfusion a lot less frequently.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the Dexron IV Synthetic ATF we carried at our dealer with no problem on my dad's '94 Accord. Has been running fine with no problem. But I would definitely go Honda with your year Accord.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
IIRC the Honda Owners manual states that in an emergency, you can use Dexron II, and this was for a '95 model.

Actually, for the 95 it states Honda ATF or Dexron 2 ATF only. IIRC the 97 calls for Dexron as a temporary replacement.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???