Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install

My buddies slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder went out on him so we replaced both at the same time. No theres no pressure in the clutch. We tried bleeding out the clutch fliud but the fluid level stays the same. Theres no pressure and the clutch fluid isnt coming out.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (blue_hatch)

open the bleeder screw
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jump in the car and have a buddy open the bleeder while you press the pedal down. As soon as the pedal hits the floor have him close the bleeder and do not release the pedal till it is closed. Then after it is closed release the pedal and repeat till fluid starts to squirt out. It's called a purge. Then you can bleed as normal. Alot of the time you have to purge the line before fluid will come out the bleeder.

EDIT: It may take a LONG time to bleed manually. Mulitple attemps to get fluid from the slave. Usually you would use a pressure bleeder for such
Old 03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (steerh67)

Recently did this. If you're doing it correctly....

1)Open lid on fluid resevior and make sure it stays full through the process
2)Place a small clear tube over the end of the bleeder valve and place the other end in a small cup of brake fluid
3)With clutch pedal up (this is easier with 2 people), Open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder
4)Depress the clutch pedal should see bubbles coming from the hose in the cup of brake fluid
5)Close the bleeder valve
6)Lift the clutch pedal
7)Open the bleeder valve
8)Repeat steps 4-7 until you drain the fluid resevior twice without seeing bubbles from the tube on the bleeder valve
9)Make sure you stop with the clutch pedal up and the bleeder valve closed
10)Pump the clutch pedal and make sure it stays stiff
11)Grab a and relax

Do the above and if you still have the problem, let us know.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (213374U)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 213374U &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Recently did this. If you're doing it correctly....

1)Open lid on fluid resevior and make sure it stays full through the process
2)Place a small clear tube over the end of the bleeder valve and place the other end in a small cup of brake fluid
3)With clutch pedal up (this is easier with 2 people), Open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder
4)Depress the clutch pedal should see bubbles coming from the hose in the cup of brake fluid
5)Close the bleeder valve
6)Lift the clutch pedal
7)Open the bleeder valve
8)Repeat steps 4-7 until you drain the fluid resevior twice without seeing bubbles from the tube on the bleeder valve
9)Make sure you stop with the clutch pedal up and the bleeder valve closed
10)Pump the clutch pedal and make sure it stays stiff
11)Grab a and relax

Do the above and if you still have the problem, let us know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exatcly what I did but no clutch fluid was coming out of the bleeder valve... thats where Im stuck on
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM

is the line hooked back up properly? was the fitting at the end of it damaged? also look to see if the line is kinked anywhere
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (213374U)

Here's a cheat method; farmer supply house, big syringe, tubing

Fill the syringe full of brake fluid attach it with tubing to the bleed screw on the slave, open the bleed screw a full turn, slam in the load of brake fluid to chase the trapped air back up to the master cylinder.

I have also taken the slave and the line tie down off, clamped the slave piston with a C-clamp then raised it up above the master height and bleed as described in the above post.
Remember that brake fluid will eat paint, clean up spillage with some brake clean spray as soon as possible

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (hondadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a cheat method; farmer supply house, big syringe, tubing

Fill the syringe full of brake fluid attach it with tubing to the bleed screw on the slave, open the bleed screw a full turn, slam in the load of brake fluid to chase the trapped air back up to the master cylinder.

I have also taken the slave and the line tie down off, clamped the slave piston with a C-clamp then raised it up above the master height and bleed as described in the above post.
Remember that brake fluid will eat paint, clean up spillage with some brake clean spray as soon as possible

</TD></TR></TABLE>
lmao... i'll have to try that. I tried sucking in the air but nothing happen, and i was scared it might all of the sudden shot in my mouth.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steerh67 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the line hooked back up properly? was the fitting at the end of it damaged? also look to see if the line is kinked anywhere</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeap everything is hooked up properly
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Here's what I like to do...

I just fill the darn reservoir up, crack open the bleeder screw at the slave cylinder and let it gravity bleed for a while. Or if I'm at the shop, I use my fluid evac bottle and suck the fluid through.

I let it sit there and gravity bleed a bit after it gets going. Then I just bleed it like I would the brakes. But, in this case, I push the pedal down with my hand, not foot. Slow pumps are key to getting all of the air out.

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
0x5359-0055

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install (PnX-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnX-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Slow pumps are key </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No clutch pressure after slave cylinder install

so wat was the best way to do it im having the same problem on my del sol after i changed the clutch eveything worked fine but now it just doesnt want to bleed

Last edited by del sol noob; 03-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran into the same problem, but was able to fix it. Here's how.

The symptom is that after pumping the pedal (with an open and topped off reservoir) and cracking the bleeder valve, nothing comes out - neither air nor fluid. The pedal lies flat on the floor and has to be lifted up for every pump. I pumped the pedal 10x, then held down and cracked the bleeder. Still nothing. I repeated this dozens of times to no avail. I even went so far as to remove the bleeder valve completely with the clutch pedal depressed. It was bone dry.

To solve this problem, here are the steps I used:

1. closed the bleeder valve
2. removed the fluid inlet to the slave cylinder. It started bubbling immediately after cracking
3. drained about 1/4 the fluid from the reservoir
4. re-attached and tightened the fluid inlet
5. pumped the pedal 1x
6. pressure! clutch pedal stays up!
7. bleed the clutch fluid using the often-cited pump-bleed procedure

I believe this worked by clearing the line ahead of the slave cylinder of air. This air was trapped and prevented the movement of fluid to the slave. Removing the inlet cleared the blockage of enough air that the hydraulic system could begin working properly again.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I find it hard to get the clutch hydraulic system bled when totally empty, hard to get enough force/compressed *AIR* in the master to get any fluid flowing at all; to the slave, to bleed the air, can't .. too much air...

so I found that if you can make sure there is fluid in the reservoir, and push, like HARD, even with a wooden lever or something *ON THE SLAVE PISTON* you can actually push bubbles out the top of the reservoir, and then you can get enough pressure in the master to bleed normally.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone! After getting no where with the old non leaking Master, I installed a new master and things started working after a short bleeding session!

Thanks for all your input!

John