Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

NEED EXPERT! mechanic broke tranmission bolt!!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED EXPERT! mechanic broke tranmission bolt!!

A mechanic I got to replace clutch on 98 accord 2. 3 vtec didnt tell me he broke anything and all went well... checked and seen my motor mount on left side was missing bolt so I looked under and the bolt broke the casing to transmission... he said this wasn't an issue and all would be fine? Is this right? Im a.d.d so I want things done right.. is this ok? Or will I have issues?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED EXPERT! mechanic broke tranmission bolt!!

Said any mechanic would ve broke it and it wasnt a big deal..

Also does anyone know what this bolt is clearly was not reinstalled n fresh threads.. im taking to a guy to look at tmr jus want expert advise thanks
Old 06-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really sure from the pics...first one is a mess...I would say if he broke it, he fixes it. Period. That has been the policy at any shop I worked for. Was there damage done to the trans case or just the bolt?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many **** shops out there, it's a shame. Even if the damage was just something cosmetic, if the technician broke it, it should be repaired or in some way compensated for, period. To just say "oh that doesn't matter and anyone would have broken it this way" is a cop out for a hack job. Regardless what the bolt is for, I would ask the shop that broke it to handle it or reimburse you some of what you paid being that they did a **** poor job at something that should be quite simple for any average tech. As far as identifying what it is and if it will cause problems down the road, that's hard to tell from those few pics so a few more shots would help, maybe some where you pan out a little further so we can see the full location of the bolt in question. Best of luck!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it would be this bolt hole.

Pictures sourced from HondaPartsNow.com

Last edited by coolswimmerjon; 06-16-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will the car be OK without it? Probably, there's lots of other bolts holding the transmission to the motor. But this is shoddy, **** poor quality work. If nothing else, what happens when you try and sell the car? Someone is going to see that and the car's value is instantly reduced. Another example, if you ever replaced the transmission, no decent rebuilder would accept your current one for a core. And you would never find a buyer for it if you tried to part it out.

The one fresh hole looks like it belongs to a L-shaped bracket that connects to the rear motor mount bracket. Looks like more oversight. The bracket may still be in the car and just dangling, you might want to check.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jollyhonda
Not really sure from the pics...first one is a mess...I would say if he broke it, he fixes it. Period. That has been the policy at any shop I worked for. Was there damage done to the trans case or just the bolt?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jesse777
the chunk off is off tranmission and the bolt is off passenger side engine mount connecting with the transmission. its aluminum if im correct so wouldnt it be difficult to weld and tap a new thread? Or is that even possible in this case or just easier to take transmission out and fix? How vital is this bolt, would the transmission move and loosen seals making it leak n dry out n seize eventually?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look up from under passengers side

From top view
Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that shop needs to be locating a transmission to put in your car.
I would like to take this moment to dust off my soapbox...seems to be a rash of people on this forum lately becoming the victims of flat out **** pour workmanship. There is a reason some shops charge the money they do. And there is a reason dealerships charge the amounts they do. I wish you the best of luck finding resolution, and the only resolution is gonna be a replacement trans. And hopefully the clown that did that was working absolutely dirt cheap, because it is going to cost you in the long run. Off the topof my head I can think of 2 different close ffiends of mine screwed around on clutch replacement jobs by a half rate trans shop. And both of them ending up paying dearly in the end. You can call them a "stealership" or many other colorful and derogatory names, but I don't think you would have received your car back in that shape from one.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you are sooo right! I hate seeing ppl ripped thats why I do everything myself off my ground, ill have my own garage so i can have a hoist ,one day.. anything I cant do myself I buy parts n bring to qualified person for the best priced out rate, n also learn how it done if on youtube or internet, thanks all for help
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah pay for proper work done, they take there time and mostly do it right n lol stealership.. this guy did from his driveway, I didn't even know if he had garage and had the job done for 300$ plus paid 270 in parts replaced axle seals at same time
Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they forgot to pull that bolt when the pulled the tranny and the weight cracked casing... very poor workmanship...