Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Mysterious Oil Leak + Oil always on

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Oil Leak + Oil always on

Ok, i looked through some of the other threads to see if anyone posted a matching problem but didn't find any so let me start out with...

1993 Accord EX

replaced the oil pressure sending unit around 4 months ago. no leaks prior to the replacement but the oil light would fade in and out then sometimes stay after driving longer than 20-30 minutes. did the oil change & filter, of course while replacing sending unit. no problems afterwards (other than a very slow leak that i thought maybe coming from the pan) until a week ago. checked the oil and it was about a quart low so i filled it.

a few nights ago, i started the car up and the oil light was on and stays on all the time. the next day i noticed a rather massive leak. oil seems to be dripping out somewhere between the oil filter and pressure switch and dripping on to the part of the exhaust that crosses underneath the oil pan causing lots of smoke.

yesterday, after cleaning the engine up really good and getting underneath it, i still could not determine exactly where it was coming from. my roommate, who knows alot more about fixing cars than me, who also helped install the pressure sending unit was stumped as well. he seems to think that either the sending unit failed or that it could be leaking somewhere above the oil filter.

does anyone here know what might be causing this? between sunday and labor day, i can't take it to a garage to get looked at. i hope it isn't something too serious.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious Oil Leak + Oil always on

oops...thread title should read "Mysterious Oil Leak + Oil LIGHT always on"

Last edited by LandHard; 09-07-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: light
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCV valve if clogged up can cause issues. It's in that general area. You may be able to swap it for cheap (like AutoZone part) or clean the crap out of it.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
The PCV valve if clogged up can cause issues. It's in that general area. You may be able to swap it for cheap (like AutoZone part) or clean the crap out of it.
if it's clogged it will force oil to leak out of the back of the engine?

the thing is, it doesn't seem to be coming from the filter, but its hard to tell.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
He knows where you live!

Yep, it'll drip past the filter. Happened on my H22 after I sold it.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is nothing leaking from anywhere near the PCV valve, i pulled it off and it didn't appear to be clogged. plus its not very old.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM
He knows where you live!

Have you pulled the pressure unit off to inspect it? Did you replace with an OEM new/used or an aftermarket?

*edit*
If the PCV is good I'd say it's a fault pressure unit. Sucks that it'd die on you again.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the pressure unit from autozone for $7, but i haven't taken it off yet.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
He knows where you live!

It's probably a failed unit, the aftermarket replacement bits can be hit or miss, especially the re-manufactured ones.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks...i'm gonna pull it off tomorrow
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I finally got around to fixing this and it was in fact the oil pressure sending unit. Don't buy Duralast, they're junk parts.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just now saw the thread, but for future reference, you almost always want to go with the OEM sensors. Almost any other brand, for any sensor, will give you grief.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the durolast that i got from autozone was a piece of junk but the bwd unit from advance looks like its much better quality. it was only $7 so if it does go bad i will definitely replace it with oem part from the honda dealership. i'm just relieved that this minor fix was the cause of the oil leak *knock wood* and not something major...or majorly expensive.

I just figured I'd post an update just in case someone else runs into the same problem and is looking for a quick answer. STAY AWAY FROM DURALAST. and hopefully i won't have to come back to this thread in a few months to say "stay away from BWD" haha.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LandHard
Yeah the durolast that i got from autozone was a piece of junk but the bwd unit from advance looks like its much better quality. it was only $7 so if it does go bad i will definitely replace it with oem part from the honda dealership. i'm just relieved that this minor fix was the cause of the oil leak *knock wood* and not something major...or majorly expensive.

I just figured I'd post an update just in case someone else runs into the same problem and is looking for a quick answer. STAY AWAY FROM DURALAST. and hopefully i won't have to come back to this thread in a few months to say "stay away from BWD" haha.
yeah. my cousin bought a fuel pump that breaks 100% of the time when you install it. they bought like 7 times before they gave up. some parts are a joke. look em up before you buy.

i bought that sending unit from advance, but didnt need it. the plug to it was just loose ha, is it a good one. ill prally put it in my next engine?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by granny racer
yeah. my cousin bought a fuel pump that breaks 100% of the time when you install it. they bought like 7 times before they gave up. some parts are a joke. look em up before you buy.

i bought that sending unit from advance, but didnt need it. the plug to it was just loose ha, is it a good one. ill prally put it in my next engine?
and the socket to put it on costs more than the part!