Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Mysterious Hole in Oil Pan....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Hole in Oil Pan....

Also I was trying to find out which OBD2 the H23A is, I cant seem to find out if its OBD2A or 2B :/
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

F22 trans won't be ideal but it'll work just fine. You can look into getting a shorter geared trans down the road if that bothers you.

Phearable is fine. You can also get a base calibration from them that will allow you to drive the car to a tuner. Xenocron is another alternative. You only need the conversion harness if your car is model year 96+.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
F22 trans won't be ideal but it'll work just fine. You can look into getting a shorter geared trans down the road if that bothers you.

Phearable is fine. You can also get a base calibration from them that will allow you to drive the car to a tuner. Xenocron is another alternative. You only need the conversion harness if your car is model year 96+.
For right now, the F22 trans will be fine IMO. As far as the ECU, they are asking alot of questions about the motor that I'd only know once I had the motor running, so what should I do to go about filling out their forms so I can get their ECU ordered. And also for the harness adapter, they are both different OBD's how is that going to work without a harness adapter?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

You convert the engine to work with the car. Not the other way around. Your car is a 1993, correct? So you will need an OBD1 H22 distributor and to reuse your factory harness & OBD1 F22 alternator.... You don't need a conversion harness. The chipped ECU will directly replace your factory one. If you don't know the specifics of what your setup will be once completed, just wait and order the ECU when you near the end of the swap.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You convert the engine to work with the car. Not the other way around. Your car is a 1993, correct? So you will need an OBD1 H22 distributor and to reuse your factory harness & OBD1 F22 alternator.... You don't need a conversion harness. The chipped ECU will directly replace your factory one. If you don't know the specifics of what your setup will be once completed, just wait and order the ECU when you near the end of the swap.
I see, perhaps I was misunderstanding in some of our earlier correspondance, I'm not wanting to make this a tuner right from the start, I just want to replace the engine with a better one with modification potential for when I get the money to do so in the future, but still want it to be a daily driver ASAP. I just dont want to buy another F22 then want to tune it later and have to get an H23A, you get what im saying? Or am I rambling nonsense? Also, here is what I found as fr as an OBD1 H22 Distributor, would this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2527814...&ul_noapp=true
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Yes. But there will be 2 different models. External coil and internal coil. For simplicity you need to get the one that matches your factory internal or external coil setup so it will plug right in without having to do more wiring.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. But there will be 2 different models. External coil and internal coil. For simplicity you need to get the one that matches your factory internal or external coil setup so it will plug right in without having to do more wiring.
Well if Im not mistaken the H23A has an external coil right? So I'd just order the external one and be done with that, in that aspect.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

I told you once, you make the engine work with the car and not the other way around. You need to figure out which one your car has from the factory and order that style for an H series so it will just plug and play. Just pop the hood and look. If you have 5 plug wires, one of which goes to an external coil, you buy an external coil OBD1 H22 distributor. If you have just 4 plug wires, it's internal coil and you need an internal coil OBD1 H22 distributor.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I told you once, you make the engine work with the car and not the other way around. You need to figure out which one your car has from the factory and order that style for an H series so it will just plug and play. Just pop the hood and look. If you have 5 plug wires, one of which goes to an external coil, you buy an external coil OBD1 H22 distributor. If you have just 4 plug wires, it's internal coil and you need an internal coil OBD1 H22 distributor.
Ok see now the way you just explained that has permanently solved that mystery for me, I understand your almost spoon feeding me the information but this is how people learn. the coil that come factory was 5 wires so its an external coil. so I'll order an external coin distributor
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would this be the kind of coil I would need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-DIS...N7eG2w&vxp=mtr
It says for H22A1 distributor, is that compatible or no?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

td60u is the internal coil for the obd1 prelude vtec and td61u is the external coil for the obd1 prelude vtec
you need the external coil one so you need the td61u which is the one in that listing
Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
td60u is the internal coil for the obd1 prelude vtec and td61u is the external coil for the obd1 prelude vtec
you need the external coil one so you need the td61u which is the one in that listing
out of curiosity, would anybody know if my current ECU would be ok to use? If its useable at all? Because I dont have the information for what im going to do with the motor in order to order the tuned ECU from phearable.net. So would it be ok to use it as a temporary thing?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SystemKhaos
out of curiosity, would anybody know if my current ECU would be ok to use? If its useable at all? Because I dont have the information for what im going to do with the motor in order to order the tuned ECU from phearable.net. So would it be ok to use it as a temporary thing?
yes, it will work fine, you just wont have vtec

you should just get an obd1 p13 ecu
Old 03-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
yes, it will work fine, you just wont have vtec

you should just get an obd1 p13 ecu

Does this look like the right part and do you think the price is fair?
Chipped OBD1 VTEC ECU P72 P13 H22a H23a GSR IAB p28 socketed | eBay
Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

OBD1 P13 ecu will not run the H23A correctly. The engine will run but it will have dangerous lean spots and be down on power because of that. Do not buy one and expect it to work. I've seen this firsthand.

Buy a chipped ecu from phearable or xenocron like I said, and wait until you're ready to do it. Those chipped ECU's on eBay are usually sold without having some things replaced that should be which can cause issues down the road. I know phearable and xenocron replace those so the premium you pay is worth the piece of mind. Don't try to cut corners as it will always come back around to you.

Edit: appears the one linked claims to be "rebuilt". I would inquire about what exactly they have replaced to confirm that before purchasing.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 P13 ecu will not run the H23A correctly. The engine will run but it will have dangerous lean spots and be down on power because of that. Do not buy one and expect it to work. I've seen this firsthand.

Buy a chipped ecu from phearable or xenocron like I said, and wait until you're ready to do it. Those chipped ECU's on eBay are usually sold without having some things replaced that should be which can cause issues down the road. I know phearable and xenocron replace those so the premium you pay is worth the piece of mind. Don't try to cut corners as it will always come back around to you.

Edit: appears the one linked claims to be "rebuilt". I would inquire about what exactly they have replaced to confirm that before purchasing.
I wouldnt mind paying the premium for the one from phearable.net but in order to purchase a box, they are asking me questions about the motor, injectors and all this other stuff that i wont know about until AFTER I get the motor into the car.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

That's why you should wait. Or figure out the entirety of your setup now. They need to know that stuff so they can make a proper base calibration to get you to a tuner. If it's just going to be a basic setup, tell them that. You will probably need to buy some fuel injectors to be on the safe side so they will need to know what you're running for those also. DSM 390s should be plenty and will plug and play with your Accord. 440s may be a little much but it leaves you with room to grow. I believe the H23A comes with obd2 style 345cc injectors which will not be a direct fit and may run out of steam when the engine is brought to it's true potential depending on their condition.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why you should wait. Or figure out the entirety of your setup now. They need to know that stuff so they can make a proper base calibration to get you to a tuner. If it's just going to be a basic setup, tell them that. You will probably need to buy some fuel injectors to be on the safe side so they will need to know what you're running for those also. DSM 390s should be plenty and will plug and play with your Accord. 440s may be a little much but it leaves you with room to grow. I believe the H23A comes with obd2 style 345cc injectors which will not be a direct fit and may run out of steam when the engine is brought to it's true potential depending on their condition.
As long as I dont beat on the engine and try to drag race in a sense, can i get by without ruining the motor for a month or so without needing to get that ECU right away? I just dont have ALL the money up front to super tune it in a sense, right off the bat, i just need it as a daily driver back and forth to work for a month. then put money into it to be a tuner.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

The ECU has to be properly calibrated for the engine aka tuned...Otherwise catastrophic failure is a very real possibility. One wrong setting in the ECU can mean the death of the engine. I cannot recommend driving on a basemap or some random ecu not setup for the engine. The H23A unfortunately never made it to the states so there are no "plug and play" solutions for it. It has to be done right or shouldn't be done at all. I've seen too many people try to do what you're doing and it never works. Ends up with engine failure or a bunch of other issues. The tune is not the thing to be cheaping out on, even temporarily. With that said, can you limp it along and get it driveable with something other than what's required? Yes. Should you? No.

If finances are to be considered then I think you should go back and think about an F23 swap instead. It will be much simpler and cheaper in the end. You get about the same torque just without the top end and it's a much easier swap without nearly as many little nuances or potential issues.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECU has to be properly calibrated for the engine aka tuned...Otherwise catastrophic failure is a very real possibility. One wrong setting in the ECU can mean the death of the engine. I cannot recommend driving on a basemap or some random ecu not setup for the engine. The H23A unfortunately never made it to the states so there are no "plug and play" solutions for it. It has to be done right or shouldn't be done at all. I've seen too many people try to do what you're doing and it never works. Ends up with engine failure or a bunch of other issues. The tune is not the thing to be cheaping out on, even temporarily. With that said, can you limp it along and get it driveable with something other than what's required? Yes. Should you? No.

If finances are to be considered then I think you should go back and think about an F23 swap instead. It will be much simpler and cheaper in the end. You get about the same torque just without the top end and it's a much easier swap without nearly as many little nuances or potential issues.
I think I'll just try to grind through and figure out all the information thats needed in order to get it running on a phearable.net tuned ecu. So please forgive me if i ask questions on what i should or should not get.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the information they are asking for me to provide, could you possibly help me with any information about the H23A that you may already know?
Screenshot by Lightshot

the information that I dont know would be the injector specs, the map sensor, what i would need to put in the engine details as well as the revlimit and vtec engagement point, and whether or not i should put yes or no for the disable oxygen sensor.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

You can always just give them a call or e-mail them. They will be more than happy to help you as they get paid to do so. I've tuned quite a few blue tops and usually they make the best power with VTEC engagement between 4800-5200 depending on a few factors. Rev limit, if you're keeping it all stock - set that around 7200 for the time being. You can have that altered by your tuner when you have the car tuned. Wouldn't disable the oxygen sensor, best to keep that if possible. Map sensor would be stock. Injectors are to be decided by you as I already told you some of your options. You will also need to tell them if you plan to keep IABs or remove them and things of that nature.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can always just give them a call or e-mail them. They will be more than happy to help you as they get paid to do so. I've tuned quite a few blue tops and usually they make the best power with VTEC engagement between 4800-5200 depending on a few factors. Rev limit, if you're keeping it all stock - set that around 7200 for the time being. You can have that altered by your tuner when you have the car tuned. Wouldn't disable the oxygen sensor, best to keep that if possible. Map sensor would be stock. Injectors are to be decided by you as I already told you some of your options. You will also need to tell them if you plan to keep IABs or remove them and things of that nature.
Ok that answers everything lol, I appreciate all the help, what does IAB mean?