Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Is My Wagon Worth Saving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My Wagon Worth Saving?

About a year ago I picked up a 92 Accord WAGON LX 4cyl AT. It was literally the cheapest honda in my local auto trader. I needed a car in a hurry and just wanted something cheap/reliable/cheap/good cargo area also cheap.

I ran it for about 20 thousand of my miles putting it at like 188,000 now. Over its short life I replaced the battery, both fans, alternator, starter, 2 hoses, 2 tires, one motor mount (front) and the main relay. The other motor mounts were bad (blown out rubber) also but, I was fixing stuff as I could afford it. those were next on the list but my cheap car was quickly becoming a expensive pain in my ---. I was hoping to just keep it running a little longer since I was going to be coming into a bit of cash and had plans to get a much newer ride very soon. My plan was to trade it in. That plan never happened.

I had been chasing down a cooling problem due to a broken fan and had just replaced it the night before my disaster. I rode around stop and go for about 50 minutes and went about 25 miles and had my eye on the temp gauge the whole time and it never went up. Then i got on the freeway and turned up the stereo. Five miles later I stopped at the light at the off ramp and loooked at temp. I had tilted it. PINNED to the top. OOPS.

I limped it to the closest parking lot (1.5 blocks) and shut her down. It sounded like a broken chain saw. I pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. It had a slow leak but it shoulda been fine as I had checked it about two weeks earlier and it normally would lose a quart every six weeks on average. At any rate thats what happened and I can accept the blame. We towed to my house and I said screw it and went out and bought a new car. Now the honda is sitting in my driveway rotting. It starts but it sounds like there are a bunch of marbles bouncing around in the engine. Yes I filled the oil back up.

Now I don't know what to do with it. Is it worth it to replace the engine or try and fix it so I can unload it easier as a fresh motor vehicle. Should I part it out or is that too much of a headache? Should I sell it broken and if so what is it worth?

If it ran better it would have been a efficient little family car and I hear the wagon is a bit rare. it was recommended to me that I might find a a tuner guy who would wanna resurect it. I just wanted some informed opinions on what anyone else would do if they were me. I have a offroad race truck in my plans and need all the dough I can get for that but if a small investment in the wagon would be worth it I am willing to invest the time and funds provided the reward would be there. am not affraid to wrench but I am kind running out of room around here. Obviously I need to pick a direction and go, I just can't figure out which way?

What would you do if you were me?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Is My Wagon Worth Saving? (dan200)

well a jdm f22 only costs about $500, so going based on that think if u would wanna be driving it for the next 150k
Old 05-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Is My Wagon Worth Saving? (erk89)

i say keep it, you can get an f series motor for a couple hundred bucks. buy one and change the timing belt and oil and you should be good to go
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is My Wagon Worth Saving? (steerh67)

dump it and buy something else. even if its not another car. bad luck leads to more bad luck. but then again, I have the luck of the irish . For me that means bad luck leads to more bad luck.