Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side.

Hey there! I have a problem. I was checking to see that all my lights are working. I went inside the car and found out my driver side vanity lights weren't working. So I switch the bulb from the passenger side(which I know work; lights up) and put it in the driver side. It still doesn't light up, so I flipped it around, and still doesn't work...

Anyone know how to fix it? My other interior light works. Just not this one.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side. (The-Kid)

Is there a fuse for it? Electrical problem?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side. (The-Kid)

I would like to know about this as well. My 97 is doing this too. Can't find any fuse either.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side. (familymangt)

no idea here, but in for the answer, could be interesting
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

The No. 32 (15A) fuse in the underhood/relay box protects the vanity mirror light; however, I do not believe this would be your problem since the other vanity light works.

The problem may be the light switch (small button, above the bulb lense) in the visor or the connections at the visor mounting base. Press and release the small button light switch, and see if it makes a difference (with a known good bulb). Otherwise, check for continuity between the bulb terminals with a multimeter or test light. If no continuity, unscrew visor mounting base and check the positive terminal cable (+), and the mounting base (-). The mounting base when mounted to the body is the ground (-).
Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side. (tech8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tech8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The No. 32 (15A) fuse in the underhood/relay box protects the vanity mirror light; however, I do not believe this would be your problem since the other vanity light works.

The problem may be the light switch (small button, above the bulb lense) in the visor or the connections at the visor mounting base. Press and release the small button light switch, and see if it makes a difference (with a known good bulb). Otherwise, check for continuity between the bulb terminals with a multimeter or test light. If no continuity, unscrew visor mounting base and check the positive terminal cable (+), and the mounting base (-). The mounting base when mounted to the body is the ground (-). </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow. Thanks for this reply. I will do that. I tried pushing that small button to see if it was stuck, still doesn't work. I will try your other suggestions.

BTW the wire is where?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Global Moderator

Once you unscrew the 2 screws and remove the mounting base, you will see one cable wire, to a connector. This is the positive terminal.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side. (tech8)

Well I took it out, the connection was good. I actually hit the top of the light and the light came on. Weird. Which means there was power. It stayed on after I did that. Then when I opened it again, it was off...

Short? Or???
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Global Moderator

Probably a problem with the switch contacts inside the visor.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My vanity light won't come on. Bulb works, only driver side.

I have a similar issue. I have a 2000 Accord EX-R and the passenger side vanity lights worked no problem but the driver's side did not. So I thought it was an issue with just the driver's side visor/vanity. So the next day I went to troubleshoot and the driver's side started working when I flipped the mirror cover up, but I noticed that if I moved it slightly the lights would go out. So when I flipped the cover as open as it would go, the lights stayed on. So today I went and replaced all 4 bulbs with LEDs and after a couple tests of flipping up the driver's side mirror cover, the lights stopped working on BOTH visors. I replaced the LEDs with the originals (all were working before), and not both vanity lights on the driver and passenger side do not work. What could be the problem?

UPDATE #1:
So it seems it's something much larger is happening. Now my dashboard lights and tail lights won't turn on. Could this be a MCU issue??

UPDATE #2:
It seemed to be the "small lights fuse 7.5) as it was blown. Not sure why, but I replaced it and everything seems to be working fine now.

Last edited by badlt; 12-20-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Updated