Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Major Electrical Problem, and blinking "S" light

Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91- Major Electrical Problem, and blinking "S" light

Hello,
I have a 91 Honda Accord. I've had the problem with the blinking "S" light for over a year, but I never got around to fixing it. For those who haven't heard of that, what happens is- when you go to starts the car and the engine is hot, the "S" light blinks and the car doesn't start. However, for me, this happened when the engine was hot and also when it wasn't. The "S" light problem even seemed to happen when the engine wasn't hot (I hadn't driven the car that day), but when it was hot outside. The "S" light problem doesn't happen in winter, unless I am starting the car after having driven it once that day.

Now that isn't my main problem, but I described that problem just in case it might at all relate to this bigger problem. Recently we had a snowstorm where I live, and I've been driving on very bumpy roads. Yesterday, when I went to start the car, I put in the key and turned it just to where the lights should come on in the dashboard (like engine light, oil, ect). But the lights didn't come on until I actually turned the key the full way to start the car- and it wouldn't start. I took the key out completely, and tried again, this time it all went as it should- the lights came on, it started.

Now as I was driving, I came to a stop light. As the car was running, it simply shut off. I tried starting it again, but the same problem arose with the lights not coming on. Additionally, when I put the key in and tried to put it into Neutral instead of Park, it wouldn't let me (so the police officer who came to help me couldn't push me out of traffic). I had to keep trying until I did get it started again- then drove it to the nearest parking lot, and the officer kindly drove me home.

I am hoping someone knows the solution to this problem, as I don't think I can afford to take it to the dealership. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I haven't checked anything except the battery cables- to make sure they are on tight. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sup man. I'll try to help. IDK much about this Accord. But I suggest Google? Anyways, here is one link...

http://autorepair.about.com/li...i.htm

http://experts.about.com/q/Hon...S.htm

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/c....html

Just a few things I found helpful to help solve your problem...
Type in google S light Accord

hope it helps.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! wOOT!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91- Major Electrical Problem, and blinking "S" light (mussashimits)

I had a flashing "S" light on my 91 CB7 EX. As soon as the transmission warmed up the "S" would start flashing and the speedometer needle jumped all over the place and then dropped to zero....quit working....but the car never stopped. My flashing "S" was a speedo-sensor issue inside the tranny.

I've been told before by HT-ers that the flashing "S" is like the "engine check" light when flashing. It's giving off a code for whats wrong.

Sorry I can't tell you what exactly is wrong, but I'd thought I'd share my flashing "S" story to you to possibly help narrow or eliminate trouble spots. Good Luck.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 AM

Is the check engine light on?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replies and for doing that search, The-Kid. The engine light does not come on. The car right now is parked somewhere in another town, so I'm unable to check for the error code at this time. It seems like I read somewhere that the blinking S light, and the car not starting, is a common problem among 91 Honda Accords and that I need to replace the IC Ignition unit. I don't know much about cars myself, but I was wondering if it was possible that since I haven't replaced this part for a long time, that it lead to this more serious problem?

Also, the Maintenance Required light is Red, and has been for some time. Thanks