Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

lug broke off

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lug broke off

so yesterday it was warm outside so i figured i would put the rims on that i got with my accord since i havent had them on yet... so i get the jack out and after about a half hour i have the first two wheels on... well i never knew that there were a specific way that they had to go on because on the tire it says rotation with an arrow point the wrong way so then i take the first wheel off and put the right one on and when taking the other one off i loosened the lug nuts and jacked the car up... well when i tried taking the lug nuts off one was on too tight so i was like **** i forgot to loosen that one, well i put the car back down and try loosening it but its on there pretty tight, so i put a little extra muscle into it and snap the whole god damn lug comes off with the nut

so i have a few questions....
do all tires have a specific way they are supposed to rotate or is it just the higher speed ratings? (these are zr's which i think is the highest)
why would the lug come off with the nut? was it something i did or was it a bad lug nut?
how much is it going to cost me to fix?

my friend said i could drive with only 3 lugs and so i did last night and today but there seemed to be veer right once in a while and then the next minute it seemed to veer left any ideas on why it would do that?

sorry for the long post
Old 03-14-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lug broke off (snatch13)

did u bust off the stud that goes into the hub??.....thats an easy fix....never ever over-tighten a lugnut, cuase ull end up ******* up
Old 03-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: lug broke off (fw190bvi)

the wheel "stud" are very likely to break if you install the lugnut with too much torque. It's neither you over tighten the nut or some mechanic over torque it with an airtool.

you need to pull the disc, caliper apart, take out the broken stud and replace it with a new one.

3 lugs should be fine for week or so, dont count on it tho'
your wheel might rumble and fall out during high speed

are you talking about directional tires?
those directional tires got a big arrow point to the front(forward rotation motion).
never put them the wrong direction unless you drive in reverse.
they will wear out in no time.
when you doing rotation(so-called wife swapping) on directional tire, swap the front with the rear set.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lug broke off (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the wheel "stud" are very likely to break if you install the lugnut with too much torque. It's neither you over tighten the nut or some mechanic over torque it with an airtool.

you need to pull the disc, caliper apart, take out the broken stud and replace it with a new one.

3 lugs should be fine for week or so, dont count on it tho'
your wheel might rumble and fall out during high speed </TD></TR></TABLE>

right, it doesnt bust off tightening, it busts off loosening an overtighten nut......if u dont the fix urself itll be very cheap to fix
Old 03-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

overtighten+heating and cooling+rust=seized nut

Old 03-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u bust off the stud that goes into the hub??.....thats an easy fix....never ever over-tighten a lugnut, cuase ull end up ******* up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i busted off the stud that goes into the hub... is it possible to overtighten by hand?? cuz about two weeks ago i was trying to put a spare on my friends car when he had a flat and i couldnt even get his off they were on so tight (im not a small guy either.. my friends dad had to get it off) so im not sure it was that cuz i dont know if i could tighten it that much
Old 03-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lug broke off (snatch13)

you could over torque by hands, especially when you using the "+" shape wheel lug bar.

but most of the time it's when you stepping on the lug or air tool that seize the lugs.

remember 80 ft lbs of torque.

here's a hint for you, clean all the studs with a rag, out some anti-seize or a drop of clean motor oil on it, once you properly torqued it to 80lbs, it will not fall out of the car.
that way you can take off the lug next time without much problem.

by oiling the stud's thread you get the actual torque number not fiction torque
Old 03-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lug broke off (iam7head)

alright... well thanks a lot guys that was a big help, my friend and i are going to fix it on tuesday, and i think ill clean the studs next weekend so that it doesnt happen again... thanks