Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Torque converter or tranny? *searched*

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque converter or tranny? *searched*

Ok so before I start, yes I did search... Only found one thread that had the same problem as mine but was never resolved.

Anyways, I have an automatic accord, 94ex, and it left my fiancee stranded. She said she was driving on the freeway and it was all fine and then out of nowhere it just revved up as if it popped or of gear like a 5 speed. She pulled over and tried to take off again but car didn't move just acted like it was in neutral. So after siting for a bit waiting for the tow truck to come, I finally get it home and check it. Started it, put it in drive and went about 20 feet and then slippage again as If it was in neutral. So first I check the fluid. Still clearish red and was about at the half way mark on the dipstick. So I moved on. Checked the shift and lock up solenoids (using an ohm meter) and it was within spec (12-25 ohms, mine was at 13). So I eliminated those. Got in the cat to check cel or tranny codes. No cel light and the D wasn't flashing.

BUT she told me the cel came on last week and was on for a day but turned off after she washed the car (i never checked the code). Also in the past sometimes, when normal driving, the "D" light wouldnt even be lot up when in drive. But the light works because other times it would light up fine (even now).

Could this be toque converter? Or tranny? The only weird noise is when its in neutral or park it makes a small whirring noise but you have to almost get out of the car to hear it. Other than that no noises and the car drives when its cold, once warm, every gear feels like neutral.

ANY help will be appreciated. TIA

Ps
Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone writing fast lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Torque converter or tranny? *searched*

Torque converters don't fail like this. It's the transmission. More specifically, somewhere in the valve body. You can rebuild it or replace it.

Mind did the same thing at 300k. Whine noise, slipping gears. Worse when warm. Limped it to work where I put a junkyard trans in it a month ago. Still working.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen trannys slip like that in first, could be some of the clutch packs inside. Or valve body just like phootbag suggested.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound just like when the pressure line blew on my dad's '94 Accord EX Auto. The thing would just sit there and revv all day and it would not move at all. Good thing it wasn't the tranny nor torque converter problem for us.

Hope you get yours sorted out. Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
Torque converters don't fail like this. It's the transmission. More specifically, somewhere in the valve body. You can rebuild it or replace it.

Mind did the same thing at 300k. Whine noise, slipping gears. Worse when warm. Limped it to work where I put a junkyard trans in it a month ago. Still working.
Thinking more along the lines of rebuilding. Junk Yards scare me as far as pulling a non-working part and not knowing. Do you know if a rebuild is hard?

Originally Posted by gogydm
I've seen trannys slip like that in first, could be some of the clutch packs inside. Or valve body just like phootbag suggested.
Yea, it's just weird 'cuz when the car is cold it will almost drive fine besides a little hesitation going into gear. Other than that, it's almost like you can't tell.

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
Sound just like when the pressure line blew on my dad's '94 Accord EX Auto. The thing would just sit there and revv all day and it would not move at all. Good thing it wasn't the tranny nor torque converter problem for us.

Hope you get yours sorted out. Good Luck!
Yea, hopefully I'm somewhere near as lucky lol. Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

seems like automatic transmissions are vodoo, I have a similar problem ( in a civic ) , and its hard to diagnose, so installing a used unit, and hopefully rebuilding the one im pulling out.

( in my case, I loose first gear after 10 minutes , then loose 4 rth gear after 30 ).

Best of luck
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by denraweb
Thinking more along the lines of rebuilding. Junk Yards scare me as far as pulling a non-working part and not knowing. Do you know if a rebuild is hard?
Find a Japanese importer that had/has a stockpile of transmissions and snag one of those. I picked up a transmission from Japan Engines, and its been fine.
As for a rebuild, It's pretty straight forward, the problem is finding the information on fastener torque specs. That and breaking those gigantic nuts on the shafts free.

BTW, did you check the throttle valve cable? Was it loose?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Find a Japanese importer that had/has a stockpile of transmissions and snag one of those. I picked up a transmission from Japan Engines, and its been fine.
As for a rebuild, It's pretty straight forward, the problem is finding the information on fastener torque specs. That and breaking those gigantic nuts on the shafts free.

BTW, did you check the throttle valve cable? Was it loose?
Throttle cable shouldn't affect it since it does respond to throttle.

And yea I'm just gonna try to buy a used tranny and hope for the best. Can't find a rebuild kit locally and can't wait for one to come in the mail.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by denraweb
Throttle cable shouldn't affect it since it does respond to throttle.

And yea I'm just gonna try to buy a used tranny and hope for the best. Can't find a rebuild kit locally and can't wait for one to come in the mail.
Not sure if you understood the throttle valve cable part. I do not mean the throttle cable from the pedal to the TB, I mean the throttle valve cable from the TB to the transmission. This is a mission critical part, if there is any slop in that cable it can take out a transmission in short order.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+CONTROL+LEVER

This image shows the firewall side of the transmission, note on the right item #3 "24360-P0A-003 003 001 CABLE, THROTTLE(AT)"

This cable is what tells the transmission what the throttle angle is on the TB, this regulates the correct line pressures needed for proper operation. With this line disconnected or maladjusted even a new transmission will not live long.

Did you try Japan Engines in Hayward? Their pricing is reasonable and I believe they will truck one out to you. http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=
IIRC For the replacement JDM transmission it was $630 including tax, note the FREE domestic shipping
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Not sure if you understood the throttle valve cable part. I do not mean the throttle cable from the pedal to the TB, I mean the throttle valve cable from the TB to the transmission. This is a mission critical part, if there is any slop in that cable it can take out a transmission in short order.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+CONTROL+LEVER

This image shows the firewall side of the transmission, note on the right item #3 "24360-P0A-003 003 001 CABLE, THROTTLE(AT)"

This cable is what tells the transmission what the throttle angle is on the TB, this regulates the correct line pressures needed for proper operation. With this line disconnected or maladjusted even a new transmission will not live long.

Did you try Japan Engines in Hayward? Their pricing is reasonable and I believe they will truck one out to you. http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=
IIRC For the replacement JDM transmission it was $630 including tax, note the FREE domestic shipping
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH yea I remember seeing that little thing on the tranny and playing with it. I think I was pulling it while it was in gear but it did nothing. So it's not just simply adjusting it? The tranny could be ruined just because of that? eee and $630 isn't bad... I was actually trying to stay right around there. Thanks for the info, gonna do a little more research!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The throttle valve connected to the stator in the torque converter affects line pressure. When engine speed greatly exceeds transmission speed, in the torque converter, the stator is pushed against very hard. This force causes the throttle valve to be opened and fluid line pressure to increase to increase clutch pressure and reduce slipping during high engine loads, ie. acceleration.

The throttle cable on the outside of the transmission affects shift points.