Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Ignition coil conversion

Old 05-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition coil conversion

Hey guys. I got a '95 Accord LX and I cant find a performance coil for it. So I decided to conver my connector to EX model. I'm having trouble finding info on how its done. The connectors are totaly different and I dont think it'll be direct splice/install deal. Has anyone done this before? Any info will help. Thanx in advance.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Ignition coil conversion (HONCORD)

Anyone?
Bada-bump.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Was that a stupid question? Or noone has an answer 2 it?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Geez Luiz!!!
Guys I need feedback!!!
Let me know something!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 PM

i'm curious if its possible to do the ex to lx conversion
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Re: (OuttaGas)

I heard that some people done that. But no leads on the info so far.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (HONCORD)

the LX is an external coil right?

How do the connections look?

I think I remember reading a thread a long time ago from 2point6 (I think) on how to convert the external coil H series to internal coil? I want to say that was it but it was a while ago and I can't remember exactly. Was there an external coil H series?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:27 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MSD has instructions on installing their "performance" coils and ignitions on their website.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:37 AM

Don't you have an external coil already? If not, they make a terminal that you connect inside your cap to send signals to the MSD coil.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 PM

I do have an external coil. My pig tail connector is totaly different from the EX model. I have 4 wires running into mine. Someone told me there is only 3 on the EX. Even if there is 4 I still dont know which go where. Msd doesnt have anything on that. They anly have instructions for plug/play deal. This has been done before but i cant find the info. All I hear is rumors without a trace.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, I found the thread by 2point6

Converting internal coil to external coil distributors

He took the internal coil from a F22A and put it into a external coil H22A distributor, making the once external coil H22A distributor now internal coil.

I hope this will help you out.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure which wire colors you would combine on a 4 wire pigtail. If I had to guess, I would say 2 go on the + and two on the -. What colors are the wires?

Edit: It might also end up that this is more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Ignition coil conversion (I R Tylor)

I have an External coil. By the way my bad, I got 3 wires on going to my coil. That means EX got 4.
Mine are: Yellow, Green and Black/yellow stripe.
Can anyone look up the colors on the EX model and tell me where the 4th one hooks up too.
Again, I'm trying to conver my LX external coil to EX external coil. Because there are no performance coils anywhere, for the LX model.
Thanx guys
Old 06-01-2006, 06:49 PM

I'm almost positive to hook up an MSD coil you will need to connect the yellow and black/yellow wires to the + terminal. Connect the green wire to the - .
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, bare with me here, I think I might have this figured out.

You are trying to convert your F22B2 distributor from an external coil to an internal coil.

The connection at your current coil is a 4P connection that has three wires running to it. YEL, BLK/YEL and GRN.

The F22B1 internal coil only has two wires. BLK/YEL and BLU.

This is what, I believe, you're going to want to do.

Remove the YEL wire from the car completely by removing it from the connection at the distributor. But take note where that wire went because you're going to take that BLK/YEL wire at the coil and move/extend it to the connection you just pulled the YEL wire out of at the distirbutor.

Now take the distributor cap off. Remove the rotor and the leak cover. Now locate you ICM. It'll have 4 wires running to it. BLU, GRN, BLK/YEL and YEL/GRN.

The green wire is the same wire that ran out to the negative terminal of the external coil. You will want to pull that wire back into the distributor now since thats where the coil will be. Now cut the wire to the desired length so it reaches the negative side of the coil and so it doesn't get caught on the rotor as it spins. Now you're done with the negative side of things.

Locate the BLK/YEL wire. That wire will need to be cut halfway betwen the plastic/rubber tube and the terminal it's connected to. Now you'll need another wire to connect to the positive side of the coil. You can just use the YEL wire you removed earlier. Connect it to the positive side of the coil and then solder it to the short piece of the BLK/YEL wire you just cut. Once those are soldered, you'll need to connect/solder them to the other end of the BLK/YEL wire thats coming out of the plastic/rubber tube inside the distributor. It'll look like a "Y" connection with one end going to the terminal on the ICM and the other going to the positive terminal on the coil. If you need pictures of this, refer to 2point6's write.

Make sure you remove any extra wires that are no longer needed as well as the external coil, cap, leak cover and wire from the coil to the cap.

Now you should be left with an internal coil distributor.

Most of the work is being done inside the distributor. The only modification you need to make on the outside should be to remove the GRN and YEL wires between the distributor and external coil. Then relocate the BLK/YEL wire from the coil to the connection where the YEL wire went at the distributor.

You'll also need to find a way to connect those new wires inside the distributor to the coil. But I'm sure you'll find a way.

Keep in mind... I have not done this personally. This is all just an educated guess based on 2point6's write-up, that I linked earlier, and looking at the Helm manual. Most of the stuff I described above, in regards to whats needs to be done inside the distributor, was explained with pictures by 2point6 in his write-up. So take a look at his write-up, if you haven't yet, cause it should help you visualize what I was trying my best to descibe.

Sorry for such a long post. I hope this is what your looking for and that it helps you.

Edit:
After typing all that, this makes sence

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I R Tylor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm almost positive to hook up an MSD coil you will need to connect the yellow and black/yellow wires to the + terminal. Connect the green wire to the - .</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you could either go with the internal coil and remove some wiring and that for a little cleaner look, or just cut off the 4P connection and do what I R Tylor said.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM

i know this is a really old post but after reading the stuff in here i have to commet, as i had the msd blaster 2 on my '93 lx. two wires got together i believe yellow/black and yellow go -, green goes +( call msd tech), someone almost got it but the doubled up wires go the- not the + call the msd tech # on the blaster 2 coil tell them the wire colors and they will tell what goes where, simple as cut and splice. external&gt;internal
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Ignition coil conversion (i_kick_turtles)

My 99 Accord Ex V6 has 3 wires to the coil. Okay just found out the MSD SS ignition coil and the Accel #11076 will work on my EX. Anyone have any leads on what aftermarket distributor parts will fit my car?

Modified by rsolis1000 at 12:42 PM 10/19/2007
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM

What is the advantage to switching to an EX style? I have a 1999 Accord EX and I can't find a Performance distributor cap or rotor anywhere. Only the MSD SS ignition coil will fit if you don't want stock.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM

somebody mention the msd site so I got some images ... maybe they'll help you to understand the wiring a little bit more ...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 AM
New User

Default Re: Ignition coil conversion

just did this. this job can be done in 2hrs if ur a first timer.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a internal and external ignition coil and im wondering what that does?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Trial User

so i have a stock external coil now, how hard is it to upgrade the coil? do i need a whole ignition box? or can i just use the extra coil off my 454? i'm new to honda's.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would seem to me the you could put the black/yellow and yellow wires together on positive and put the green on the negative and be able to use any aftermarket coil.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't waste your time. There are no real benefits from using an aftermarket coil over he OEM coil. Unless you have a higher rpm and hp engine. Then you might want to do a complete ignition upgrade, not just the coil.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98charlize
so i have a stock external coil now, how hard is it to upgrade the coil? do i need a whole ignition box? or can i just use the extra coil off my 454? i'm new to honda's.
i wouldnt suggest using the 454 coil. its not for honda. chevy is chevy. honda is honda. apples and oranges. u can upgrade to a msd blaster coil ss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition coil conversion