Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

I smell something burning...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I smell something burning...

I smell something burning...

1) Thru heater vents while sitting at long stop lights.

2) In my garage after turning off engine and walking beside car to go into kitchen.

I don't see any fluid leaking on exhaust pipes.

I don't see any smoke.

I can't determine exact location of smell. Just under hood -- somewhere?

Any ideas?

Slipping timing belt?

Slipping serpentine belt?

1993 EX with 4 speed automatic
Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I smell something burning... (indy_93accordex)

Put your cigarette out.

I know that coolant wreeks when it gets really hot. The cat stinks like rotten eggs when it goes bad.

Does it smell like smoke or does it stink?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:50 PM

does it smell like burning oil?--did you check around the engine block and see if you see anything?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Slipping timing belt?</TD></TR></TABLE>They have teeth so they don't slip. They break & then your engine's shot. You could take off your upper timing cover & look for evidence of the belt rubbing on something. That would be IMPORTANT to catch BEFORE the belt breaks...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Slipping serpentine belt?</TD></TR></TABLE>They usually make noise when they slip, but maybe not always? Check their tension & inspect them. Are they getting old & hardened? That would smell like burning rubber.

Do you know what hot antifreeze smells like? Recognize the difference between the smell of antifreeze vs. oil?

How about dragging brakes? That smells different, too. Easy to recognize after you smell it once, but it's hard to explain here... If you have a brake dragging, that one wheel will be REALLY hot after you drive for a while.

How about a loose breather hose or PCV hose? That would smell like hot oil. Same smell you get if you open your oil fill cap with the engine running.

How about tires? Alignment WAY(!) off? If so your tires are scrubbing the ground so bad that they'd probably be worn pretty funny.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: I smell something burning...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburner247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that coolant wreeks when it gets really hot. The cat stinks like rotten eggs when it goes bad.

Does it smell like smoke or does it stink?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point. I've never seen any green fluids on the floor of my garage. However, now that it has become cold outside, the smell started when I started using my heater.

No smoke... I wish that I knew enough to determine the difference between the smell of burning oil, coolant, or ATF fluid. IT STINKS!!!!

I will take out ATP dipstick and check to see whether it is burnt in color or bright pink.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They have teeth so they don't slip. They break & then your engine's shot. You could take off your upper timing cover & look for evidence of the belt rubbing on something. That would be IMPORTANT to catch BEFORE the belt breaks...

They usually make noise when they slip, but maybe not always? Check their tension & inspect them. Are they getting old & hardened? That would smell like burning rubber.

Do you know what hot antifreeze smells like? Recognize the difference between the smell of antifreeze vs. oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish that I knew enough to determine the difference between the smell of burning oil, coolant, ATF fluid... add burning rubber to the list... IT STINKS!!!! strong enough to come thru heater vents while sitting at stop light. strong enough to smell under the hood of car while getting out of car to walk into a restaurant.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about dragging brakes? That smells different, too. Easy to recognize after you smell it once, but it's hard to explain here... If you have a brake dragging, that one wheel will be REALLY hot after you drive for a while.

How about a loose breather hose or PCV hose? That would smell like hot oil. Same smell you get if you open your oil fill cap with the engine running.

How about tires? Alignment WAY(!) off? If so your tires are scrubbing the ground so bad that they'd probably be worn pretty funny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My driveway is on a small slope. I put the car in neutral. The car coasts down the driveway.

It is possible that PCV valve is clogged. I will remove oil filler cap and take a whiff.

It could be ATF. It could be something rubbing somewhere hidden.

Also, the cooling fan for the radiator periodically makes squeeling/grunting noises. I haven't heard any noise from it for awhile. Maybe that electrical fan is starting to burn up.

I was going to change thermostat and coolant a few weeks ago. At first glance, the lower radiator hose looked like a PITA to replace. So, I have put it off till a warmer day.

How difficult is it to replace lower radiator hose? Are there other coolant hoses that should be replaced? The car has 144K miles.

Modified by indy_93accordex at 5:03 PM 2/13/2004
Old 02-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its really hard to find out in your case because im assuming you are leaking very little. the only way is to get under the car and look section by section. Usually its leaking (dripping) on your exhaust or headers and burning it.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wish that I knew enough to determine the difference between the smell of burning oil, coolant, ATF fluid... add burning rubber to the list...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My driveway is on a small slope. I put the car in neutral. The car coasts down the driveway.</TD></TR></TABLE>That's good, but keep checking for overheated brakes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is possible that PCV valve is clogged. I will remove oil filler cap and take a whiff.</TD></TR></TABLE>That smells a little different than oil actually burning, like if it drips on your exhaust manifold. But close...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be ATF. It could be something rubbing somewhere hidden.</TD></TR></TABLE>Something rubbing usually makes noise along with the smell. But keep looking.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the cooling fan for the radiator periodically makes squeeling/grunting noises. I haven't heard any noise from it for awhile. Maybe that electrical fan is starting to burn up.</TD></TR></TABLE>Jumper the wires for the fan switch, then the fan should run (key on). If it sounds really sick, that would be a good guess. But the fan hardly ever runs when you're driving. Only stopped like in heavy traffic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indy_93accordex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was going to change thermostat and coolant a few weeks ago. At first glance, the lower radiator hose looked like a PITA to replace. So, I have put it off till a warmer day.

How difficult is it to replace lower radiator hose? Are there other coolant hoses that should be replaced? The car has 144K miles. </TD></TR></TABLE>Then you'll know what antifreeze smells like. Lower radiator hose runs much cooler, so of all the hoses, maybe(?) that's the last one you'd expect to be shot. Probably some '93 owners out there can tell you which ones are popular failures? They're 11 years old, so maybe you can just replace them all.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:46 AM

the same problem happened to me.... but in my case i found a melted plastic bag underneath my exhaust. Once i removed the bag, everything is fine. It is not likely to happen, but i guess you can check it.

Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: I smell something burning... (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Probably some '93 owners out there can tell you which ones are popular failures? They're 11 years old, so maybe you can just replace them all.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the top one going from the radiator to your temp sensor is usually the one that goes bad first. However inspection of all of them is always a good idea. I would also check to see if your car may be burning or lack there of fuel, pull your spark plug wires pull 1 and 3 cylinder spark plugs and see if there is any build up on the spark plug more carbon buildup, smell like gas, it could be your head gasket. It could also be a bad heating unit...something buring from the inside ( a nice moldy smell heated smells RAUNCH-E, but to me it sounds more like either ATF or radiator fluid to me...but these suggestions should start the investigative process. Good luck .
Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got the same problem . too me it smells like burnt rubber or plastic . ive tried to detect it butt the scent is only present from inside the car from the drivers side and nowhere else . i notice the smell is really strong under the dash . however ive been driving like this for 3 weeks so far . so i guess i just got used to it . butt if anyone finds a solution it would really help me and others alot .
Old 02-14-2004, 09:13 AM

I checked brakes. I do not have a stuck caliper nor emergency brake cable.

It could be burnt-up cooling fan on radiator. It could be old anti-freeze.

Whatever it was, the smell has gone away. The smell first appeared when the weather dropped below 25 degrees. Now that the weather is back above 35 degrees, the smell has gone away. My hunch is that I need to change my anti-freeze/coolant.

I will go ahead and replace both of my radiator hoses. Hopefully, replacing the lower hose is easier than it looks.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Smells like eletrical burning doesn't it? If so... Your compressor has seized. You will see rubberized material splattered in that area which is from the compressor clutch. This is whats burning up.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: I smell something burning... (Hondaman56)

Well, it's back.... something is still burning.

Yes, it smells electrical. However, you reminded me to turn on my AC and take the car for a long drive. AC is working fine.

I pulled my car into my garage and there was that nasty smell. This time, I turned off my garage lights and searched under my car with my flash light.

I found cigarette-like smoke near passenger's side front bumper -- underneath the battery. What is electrical underneath the battery? Could this problem be the battery ground wire?

Old 03-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Well, I found the cause of the burning smell problem this week.

Now, my engine won't start. I crank and crank and crank. Nothing.

The mechanic at the dealership said it was the Main Relay -- whatever and whereever that is!!!

Anyway. Car starts. No more burning smell.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: I smell something burning...

I don't have an answer, but I sure smelled something burning. Had the heater core replaced two days ago, 1991 accord. Drove it ten or so mikes today, smoke came billowing out from under the hood (never happened before), pulled over and stopped car imediately. Popped the hood to discover a fire behind and below the engine, awesome. Um...?