Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

howl sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default howl sound

This is the first time i am posting a technical problem for my car. I've recently bought a honda accord (100K miles on it) and got the mechanic to check the car. In his comments he has mentioned - "Howl sound coming from right rear - possibly a hub bearing". Didn't really think it was too serious at the time of buying the car but now realize that the noice is really prominent. The noise come when I drive the car ...i.e. when the car is in motion. I tried to accelarate (not sure of the spelling!) when the car is in neutral and no sound comes up....the noise goes up when I speed up (while in motion) and goes down when the car slows down.

my question - does this look like a bearing problem (just want to verify the assessment of my mechanic)....how much will it cost (material+labour) to fix it...it's for honda accord 2001...
any feedback is appreciated....i am not a pro with cars so my description may not be perfect ...so please bear with me....I need help!

Modified by dhirenr at 6:34 PM 11/6/2007

Modified by dhirenr at 6:35 PM 11/6/2007
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: howl sound (dhirenr)

before doing that rotate tires this way X , see if noise changes sides, depending on the tire sometimes the cheaper ones are louder and howl. but if noise is the same more then likely hub assembly.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: howl sound (accord99power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord99power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before doing that rotate tires this way X , see if noise changes sides, depending on the tire sometimes the cheaper ones are louder and howl. but if noise is the same more then likely hub assembly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DITTO on this. I had ultra cheap tires and it just sounds bad. Wheel bearings on Accords are pretty good. Hows the tire thread on your car? Usually if it's going bald, it magnifies that sounds.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 AM

i have 3 good tyres except of that right rear. All other tires are near new and bridgestone (i.e. of good quality) but this right rear looks old (not sure of the manufacturer need to go back and look at it) and stands out.....thanks for the tip...

Just wanted an estimate from you folks in case I have to replace the hub bearing...

thanks!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It cost me $300 to replace the hub-bearing on my Chevy Cavalier. But, that was back when I didn't do much work on my own cars. Nowadays, I'd tackle that job, maybe you want to too? To just buy the part from Advance or Autozone, I'd guess $80.

That one bad tire sounds like it could be causing the howling. But, you have to ask the question, why did one out of four tires get much worse than the others? (That's assuming it is the same brand and type as the other three tires.) Perhaps you have alignment issues back there. I'd look into it.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: howl sound (Bozok)

I replaced a front wheel bearing myself. Cost me 1 weekend(stupid rust) and $60 for the wheel bearing. It seems that the rear should be easier. You might be able to do it yourself.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:26 AM

Another observation - while@ 40 mile/hr if I slowly try to stop the car, it shakes a bit and between 10 to 0 miles even the steering shakes....FYI - that 4th tire is of different brand (it a unknown brand) remaining 3 tires are bridgestone.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dhirenr)

soudns like front rotors need to be cut, if you havent cut the rear rotors yet you make want a shop to check those to. and like a said rotate your tires to find out which tire makes the howling noise.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Hmm.. Maybe it's just me but, that generation Accord does have rear wheel bearing problems. Easiest way for me to diagnose it is to take it out on the highway.

Wheel bearings will generally start to make noise around 40mph, at least from what I've noticed. But yeah, once you hear the noise, speed up or slow down to isolate yourself from traffic. Then sway side to side some what, try not to crash though, I'm not responsible for your driving behavior. If the noise goes away while swaying side to side, it's your wheel bearing that's howling.

If the noise doesn't go away, continue diagnosing by rotating the tires front to rear. Or just rotate that one bad tire to the front and see if the noise changes location.

As for replacing that rear wheel bearing, it's fairly simple. If you've got rear drums, it's even easier. As for estimate in time.. Rear drums usually take me about 5 mins to do. Rear disc brakes will take me anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes depending on how old and rusty the rear bolts are.