Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Great write up!

Last edited by TouringAccord; 06-21-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Originally Posted by ProPartsUSA
Great write up!
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

TouringAccord, thanks so much for taking the time to write this up and share it with the online community! You Rock!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
there is a video about this on youtube...but this write up is awesome as well
I saw a number of videos on YouTube, is there one you recommend? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2.0Si
Speaking of which, I didn't mention that I did have a timing belt failure on my Prelude Si a long time ago, so I'm very sensitized to this particular topic. It happened to the first replacement timing belt which I'm pretty sure was a Gates after around 70K miles or so. I had the original OEM timing belt replaced at 110K miles and it was still perfect, with no cracks or other wear issues whatsoever, so I was planning to change the second belt at around 90K miles or so but it never made it. Thankfully my engine didn't suffer any damage as a result of the belt breakage. My personal belief is that the suppliers cut back the quality of their timing belts after Honda implemented the maintenance requirement to change them every 60K miles which did not previously exist as I stated earlier.
Isn't your example of the replacement timing belt failing a good argument for using an OEM belt instead of a Gates?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseHead
Isn't your example of the replacement timing belt failing a good argument for using an OEM belt instead of a Gates?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
I've purchased Honda OEM belts from the dealership (in the bag w/ the red sticker). They have said Honda and Gates on the same belt. I assume Gates is an OEM supplier.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Gates is an OEM supplier to many car makers.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just removed the rear balancer shaft gear housing cover from my '97 (allen wrench stuck in the service port to lock the shaft). The rubber oring/seal in there was hard and brittle like cheap plastic. It broke and crumbled easily with little effort. No wonder there was oil dripping from the cover.
I can see how if you removed that cover and neglected to lock the shaft in place that you could put it back "out of time/position" and have the marks on the rear pulley be meaningless thereafter. The key here I think is to have the shaft locked via the service port 'and' have the pulley marks lined up when replacing the housing cover. Then "all will be right with the world" as far as the rear balance shaft is concerned. The pulley marks and the shaft locking must both be on target.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by partialresponse
For the F22B2 I have the timing and balancer belts off and would like to replace the crankshaft seal. I assume it's behind the timing belt drive pulley (#17 in the diagram here)

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...ton-461742.png

If so how do I get it (#17) off?

Also, my front balancer shaft pulley is on so tight (why are so many things in this engine torqued to the hilt?) I can't find anything that's simultaneously small enough to fit through the hole to hold the shaft steady while removing the pulley, and strong enough to keep from bending under stress.) My air ratchet won't do it either. Any ideas?

Thanks
Kofi
Allen wrench.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a throwback question, but i'm going to put it out there. great thread by the way. my f22b1 balance shaft on the front of the motor. how do you remove that sprocket? i tried a screwdriver through the center hole and a breaker bar but it just starts to bend the driver. any tricks? is there a tool i need? i'm installing the new seal and retainer so i'd like to do both instead of just the retainer. thanks in advance

Tony
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i answered my own question. found a case hardened punch the same diameter as the hole and locked it in place. worked like a charm. thanks for the looks.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Trial User

This thread was very helpful thanks (touring accord) but I was wondering if the engine need to be on the combustion stroke and do the camshaft need to be on the money or a milileter or two off want hurt.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great write up!!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome write up! Can you send me a PDF? Im doing this job on my little sisters car and it would totally help. Also, would this be similar on a 2002 Civic? Thats another job on the list.. Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone remember if the waterpump's 4 bolts are all the same length (not counting the tensioner bolt)?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cueballsi
don;t forget to buy all of the seals... might as well do them...

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Sp...5501024&sr=8-1
I'm in the middle of this exact timing belt/water pump job myself - and it's my first as well! (thank you Touring Accord!).....and everything inside the timing belt cover looks remarkably clean. Amazing.

Should I do the seals anyhow? Since I'm in there? Or - because it's not leaking and looks pretty amazing clean in there - should I slam the belt and pump in there and call it good?

I have the new seals; I bought them anticipating that they'd need done.....but they look so crazy clean that I'm afraid to mess with them!

What do you think? Just do it and get it over with? I'm already in there....

Same with the balance shaft seal retainer clip; there's no clip - but if there's any way I could chase it down, I'd prob be a fool not to stab one in, right? After all this work?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Trial User

Wow, amazing .pdf. I just needed a place to start, and now I know exactly where to go. Thank you.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Trial User

I've heard that getting the belt tension correct can be a little issue, anyone ever hear of this? My brother in law mentioned that there can be some slack on one side if you aren't careful.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

nice tutorial

Originally Posted by lethal.lito
I've heard that getting the belt tension correct can be a little issue, anyone ever hear of this? My brother in law mentioned that there can be some slack on one side if you aren't careful.
main issue would be the fact that f22b1 is interference engine which means the pistons can collide with the valves while changing timing belt. as long as u line up the marks on the new tension belt with the marks on the engine pulleys u will be fine

Good Luck!

personally im a little afraid to do this myself
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Great write up
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Trial User

Excellent work!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Trial User

I recently followed these instructions and replaced my timing belt and balancer belt as well as the cam shaft, crank shaft, and balance shaft seals due to a major oil leak that I noticed was coming from the timing area. That was 3-4months ago, and now I'm noticing oil around the timing cover again and the car goes through a quart of oil per 1000 miles. I used all genuine honda parts when I did the install the first time. The crankshaft and balance shaft seals went on perfectly. When I installed the camshaft seal, i put it on crooked at first and some of the grease/gel on the new seal was scraped off. I figured this wasn't a big deal but do you think this could be causing my current oil leak problems? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm assuming I need to get a new timing belt and balance belt when I replace this seal since the ones I put in 3 months ago have oil on them. Thanks for your help
Old 10-11-2014, 03:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the belt is that new i dont think the oil would be enough to compromise it. I would start the car and idle it. Then take it apart and see if the cam is really leaking. If it was me i would hit the oil spots on the belt with some brake cleaner and provided the belt isnt compromised i would reuse em.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the post, So much good info
Old 09-09-2016, 07:22 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

7 years later and I'm under the hood of the '95 EX again. 225K miles last time now 311K.
Since I did the proper oiling and hand torque installation of the crank pulley bolt, rather than using an impact like a muppet, with some slight persuasion of the breaker bar the crank pulley bolt came off with nary a bitch. Did the '97 EX(first time for me) last year and it required MAP gas and a trilingual based cuss-out of the bolt.

So kids, always tighten the bolt using the oiling and torque spec per Honda. Not a ******* impact gun set to 11.

Thanks again Touring, I have this procedure down pat in the head, but it is nice to have the writeup with pictures in the database.

Quick Reply: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1