See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

tail lights won't go off???

Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tail lights won't go off???

What in the world??? I can't get the tail lights to go off on my 95 accord. I've tried everything. Had to unhook the battery just so it won't go dead overnight.

Does anyone have ANY idea what the problem is? I looked all around the brake pedal and played with it and no luck.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: tail lights won't go off???

Originally Posted by Jonathang
What in the world??? I can't get the tail lights to go off on my 95 accord. I've tried everything. Had to unhook the battery just so it won't go dead overnight.

Does anyone have ANY idea what the problem is? I looked all around the brake pedal and played with it and no luck.
tail lights or brake lights? there is usually a plastic button which pushes on the brake pedal switch to make them go off, I'm not sure if your year has one, but many Hondas do, the button has a habit of falling out, get down there with a flashlight and look at the brake light switch to see if it's being pushed.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
tail lights or brake lights? there is usually a plastic button which pushes on the brake pedal switch to make them go off, I'm not sure if your year has one, but many Hondas do, the button has a habit of falling out, get down there with a flashlight and look at the brake light switch to see if it's being pushed.
I didn't see anything that looked like a button or switch down there, but then again I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. lol

I think it is the brake lights but I'm not positive. I just got the car so I'm not sure if the bottom is the brake lights or if the top is the brake lights.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the brake pedal arm, along that there should be a switch-you can push on the pedal and see the "plunger" of the switch. On the pedal "arm" there should be a "plug/button" that makes the switch close....if that is gone, there is just a hole in the arm with nothing to close the switch.

46505-SA5-000 -should be the part number at the dealer.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! That was what was wrong. The plug shattered. I'm not sure what to replace it with. Seems like it would be difficult to fit something in there without taking the brake pedal off.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the plug from the dealer looks like poorman posted the part number, push on the pedal with one hand use the other to get the plug in the hole. A good thumb push and you are there.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving a 94 Honda Accord. You guys saved me some trouble. My friend also thought it was a fuse, but upon pulling the fuse, for some reason it wouldn't put the car into gear. I looked at the fuse and realized that the fuse was good. Upon googling I found answers to my questions from this forum. I think I've fixed my problem as I've tested it out and it works.

What I did was ended up using two dimes stuck together with some clear sticky, gummy glue, with some gummy glue stuck the side of the dime that will rest on the black hole as described in this topic's tread. I had to push the pedal pretty hard to get it to have enough space for me to put the dimes in. I tested it out and it works fine. I even tested it to make sure the brake and rear light still works and that's fine as well.

I've upload a video to Youtube showing what I've done. It's kind of fast and it maybe jerky, so I am sorry in advice. It's just a close up of what I did.

I hope this helps.

Here's the link to the video, http://bit.ly/brakelightswitchfix
Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by victorb
I'm driving a 94 Honda Accord. You guys saved me some trouble. My friend also thought it was a fuse, but upon pulling the fuse, for some reason it wouldn't put the car into gear. I looked at the fuse and realized that the fuse was good. Upon googling I found answers to my questions from this forum. I think I've fixed my problem as I've tested it out and it works.

What I did was ended up using two dimes stuck together with some clear sticky, gummy glue, with some gummy glue stuck the side of the dime that will rest on the black hole as described in this topic's tread. I had to push the pedal pretty hard to get it to have enough space for me to put the dimes in. I tested it out and it works fine. I even tested it to make sure the brake and rear light still works and that's fine as well.

I've upload a video to Youtube showing what I've done. It's kind of fast and it maybe jerky, so I am sorry in advice. It's just a close up of what I did.

I hope this helps.

Here's the link to the video, http://bit.ly/brakelightswitchfix
You sir, are the man.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get creative and u can fix this with 2 pennies glued together and put in place of that lil plug. vs spending 5 bucks on a lil nylon plug that will just end up shattering again sometime another. or go to the yard and grab a bunch
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

round head stove bolt, the round head of the bolt pushes on the switch, secure with a nut on the opposite side, cheap quick and permanent fix
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine is the most ghetto and therefore badass

2 quarters taped to the lever
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 2 Coins thing work.Better than buying a New Battery.My Rear Lights on my 96 Acura TL 2.5 now goes out when I get out of the Car. Thanks to whoever came up with this suggestion.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Trial User

Thanks to all of you...I still have my 1995 Honda civic HB (as of Oct 2014) and because of forums like this I am able to keep it going. These threads are more important than ever the older my car gets. You kept it simple and to the point. The picture and video really helped. Thanks A MILLION! It saved me $200 plus it took less than 15 min to look it up and fix the car, in the rain no less! Please keep posting!