Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Hose end with oil on it blowing over the tranny. Where does this hose come from?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose end with oil on it blowing over the tranny. Where does this hose come from?

Hi everyone:

I have a 97 Honda accord with F22B2 engine. It had been leaking oil (loss 0.5 L/700 km) so I decided to do some maintenance to it. I was a bit reluctant to work on it because of the confined conditions and timing belt change was a bit overwhelming for me but I did it. So, I put all new belts on it, seals in the timing belt area were good so I did not change them out, just the water pump. I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets and the oil pan gasket. I was hoping this would solve my oil problem as the engine does not burn oil. I read here that oil on the oil filter is most likely from the oil pressure sending unit above it. Confirmed today it is leaking at the sending unit. The seal at the cam shaft, near the plug wires, is letting some oil out but not enough to account for the loss I am having. The small open hose that is at the back of the tranny has oil drip from it, I don't know if the oil is coming out of the hose or dripping on the hose from above it and creating a drip at the end of the hose. The tranny oil is new so I know it's not from there as it is not leaking. The rad is not losing liquid, the leak is from the loss of oil in the engine and seems to be coming from the top and running down the tranny or blowing back from the open hose. Does the open hose behind the tranny suppose to release pressure from the valve cover, maybe the value on the cover is malfunctioning? Anyone have a clue how and where I am losing this oil and what I need to check/replace to stop this leak, besides the oil pressure sending unit. I have the car on stands and let it run a couple hrs to figure out some oil loss is due to the faulty sending unit, though no oil actually dripped onto the board I had placed under the engine to find the leak. The only oil I see is on a nut on the oil pan, I figure came from the sending unit previously and at the end of the open hose draped over and behind the tranny. Maybe it's a pressure line for the tranny but I don't know. That would mean that oil is dripping on that line and landing on the tranny which explains all the oil on the tranny near the wheel. Thanks for any help or advice I get from the members here.
Gary
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Hose end with oil on it blowing over the tranny. Where does this hose come from?

you really need to clean up the areas where it has oil and then see where it drips that's the best way to isolate it

the tranny and engine have separate oil chambers obviously
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hose end with oil on it blowing over the tranny. Where does this hose come from?

Well, I have found the sources of the oil leak. The distributor seal and its 0- ring and the oil pressure sending unit. I have found that its bearing has a small bit of noticeable wear and Honda does not sell this part. The bearing distributor here does not stock 12.2mm (inside) x 28mm (outside) x 8mm (wide). I am wondering if there is an online source that will ship to Canada that someone here can give me?

The replacement oil pressure sending unit is a six point 22mm size yet when I went to remove the old unit that socket would not fit it, socket is too small. The engine is in the car thus makes it tough to know the size I require to remove it. Can someone tell me what metric size I will need to remove this old unit so I can buy the right size deep socket. The new sending unit did not come with a gasket so do I just apply form-a-gasket to the threads of the new sending unit before I replace it?

Thanks for your time and help.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

napa sells one but the oem bearing is made by Nachi

http://techauto.awardspace.com/conte...tordetails.php
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you holmesnmanny. I removed the timing belt again and am quite sure the pulley seal for the front balancer shaft is weeping oil. How do I lock the pulley to remove the screw that holds it in place. Do I need to remove the oil pump assembly to change this seal or can I just remove the bracket, the Honda recall item, that keeps the seal from backing off?

I have figured everything out.

Last edited by mfrs; 02-19-2014 at 06:21 PM.