Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda Accord Factory Recalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Factory Recalls

2000 Honda Accord
Certain 2000 Honda Accord’s are being recalled because the rear suspension lower arms and/or control arms could break due to improper welding. Vehicle handling and control may be reduced, increasing the loss of control resulting in a crash. Approximately 19,540 vehicles manufactured are affected by this recall. Dealers will inspect and replace the rear suspension lower arms or control arms if necessary. Owner notification began July 2000. [NHTSA Recall No. 00V184]

1995—1997 Honda Accord
Number Involved: 967,771
Defect: On certain sedan, coupe and wagon model vehicles (not including the DX model and models with V6 engines), the factory installed air-conditioner wire harness was improperly routed, allowing some wires to rub against each other, which eventually can cause a short circuit. The short circuit can cause the under-hood wiring to overheat and smoke, and possibly lead to a fire in the engine compartment. A short circuit could also result in a blown fuse or dead battery.
Remedy: Dealers will inspect the vehicles to assure proper routing of these wires. Any harness improperly routed will be inspected for damage and the routing will be corrected. If any insulation is worn through and the copper wires are exposed, the harness will be replaced. Dealers will also install plastic tubing to protect the harness. Owner notification began Oct. 8, 1998.

1998 Honda Accord
Number Involved: 33,966
NHTSA Recall No.: 98V018
Description of Noncompliance: During manufacturing, the casting die caused an irregularity in the right-side transmission cover. This irregularity can limit the movement of the parking pawl actuation level and prevent adequate engagement of the parking gear pawl. This does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 114, "Theft Protection."
Consequence of Noncompliance: This condition can cause the vehicle to roll down an incline when the transmission is locked in "Park," increasing the risk of personal injury and/or property damage.
Corrective Action: Dealers will install a collar on the transmission-parking pawl to ensure proper movement of the actuation lever.
Owner Notification: Owner notification began February 1998.

1995 Honda Accord’s Supplemental Restraint System Recall

Vehicle: Recalls Supplemental Restraint System Recall Bulletin No. 96 061
Issue Date NOV 14, 1996

Honda Accord Supplemental Restraint System
BACKGROUND:
Some Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) electronic control units may cause airbag deployment when it is not necessary to protect the front seat passengers.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
1995 Accord 4 cylinder: 4 door
EX and LX Thru VIN 1 HGCD5 SA095590 Thru VIN JHMCD5 SC047320
DX From VIN IHGCD5 SA000001 thru SA050612 and From VIN IHGCD5 SA050673 thru SA057632

1995 Accord 4 cylinder: Coupe Thru VIN IHGCD7 SA024088

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION:
Owners of all affected vehicles will be mailed a notification of this recall. This notice will ask the owner to call the nearest Honda dealer and make an appointment to have the vehicle repaired.

Call your local Honda dealer for more information and to see if your car is part of this recall. Please have your VIN (Vehicle Information Number) when you call.

Important Note Regarding Auto Recalls
Frequently SafetyAlerts will list auto recalls before
your dealer will know about them. This is due to the
fact that dealerships are usually notified of recalls
once a month via CD ROM. If you have a vehicle
affected by one of these posted recalls be sure and
write down the NHTSA and, if included, the
manufacturer recall number which we list whenever
available. If your dealer doesn't know about the
recall when you check, ask them how they are
notified of recalls and when the next update is due.

Models:
Honda Accord Year: 1997-1998

Defect: Certain vehicles were manufactured with ball joints that may prematurely wear out and, in the worst case, separate from the knuckle resulting in a loss of steering control and may result in an accident.
The surface of the spherical portion of certain ball joints between the front lower arm and knuckle was improperly finished. This rougher than normal condition, when combined with the polyacetal ball seat material results in rapid wear. Although a loosening ball joint will emit some noise if not replaced, the ball joint may separate from the knuckle.
Remedy: American Honda Co. would not comment or provide any information regarding this recall to Safety Alerts. Dealer notification is scheduled to be completed on May 13, 1999 and owner notification letters should be sent on May 14, 1999. No other information available at this time.
Recall 2000-2001 Honda Accord
(SafetyAlerts) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting the 2000-2001 Honda Accord & 2000-2001Honda Civic.
Manufactured: July -- September 2000

Defect: Some sedans and coupes fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, "Seat Belt Assemblies." Certain rear seat belt buckles were improperly manufactured. The rear seat belts will work properly and provide protection in a crash, but the owner may experience difficulty unfastening the belt after the crash. Only buckles that are marked (on the back side of the buckle) with an assembly number beginning with 00185, 00186, or 00187 have the problem.

Remedy: Dealers will inspect the vehicles and replace the seat belt assemblies that were improperly manufactured. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification was expected to begin during January 2002. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.

[NHTSA Recall No. 01V380.
Recall 2000-2001 Honda Accord
Honda Motor Company Recalls Acura Models for Transmission Problems
Certain Honda models from years 1995—1999 are being recalled to fix problems in the automatic transmission system. Approximately 84,000 automobiles are affected by this recall. Faulty sealing bolts may cause the transmission to leak fluids or operate improperly. Honda dealers will conduct a very short repair procedure to fix this problem. Although all models are affected, not every vehicle may need to be repaired. Owner notification is scheduled to begin as soon as possible. Consumers who own a 1995—1999 Acura can call Acura’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-382-2238. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), found on the DMV registration form, will be necessary to determine if that particular vehicle is part of the recall.
Additional Honda Recalls...
Recall Models:
1996—1998 Acura RL, Acura TL
1997—1998 Acura CL
1997—1998 Honda Accord
1996—1998 Honda Prelude
1996—1998 Honda Odyssey
1997—1998 Isuzu Oasis

Number Involved: Thirteen percent of listed vehicles.

Defect: Certain vehicles were manufactured with ball joints that may prematurely wear out and, in the worst case, separate from the knuckle resulting in a loss of steering control and may result in an accident.
The surface of the spherical portion of certain ball joints between the front lower arm and knuckle was improperly finished. This rougher-than-normal condition, when combined with the ball seat material, results in rapid wear. Although a loosening ball joint will emit some noise if not replaced, the ball joint may separate from the knuckle.
Remedy: American Honda Co. would not comment or provide any information regarding this recall. Dealer notification was completed on May 13, 1999 and owner notification letters were sent on May 14, 1999. No other information available at this time.
1998 Honda Accord
Number Involved: 33,966
NHTSA Recall No.: 98V018
Description of Noncompliance: During manufacturing, the casting die caused an irregularity in the right-side transmission cover. This irregularity can limit the movement of the parking pawl actuation level and prevent adequate engagement of the parking gear pawl. This does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 114, "Theft Protection."
Consequence of Noncompliance: This condition can cause the vehicle to roll down an incline when the transmission is locked in "Park," increasing the risk of personal injury and/or property damage.
Corrective Action: Dealers will install a collar on the transmission-parking pawl to ensure proper movement of the actuation lever.
Owner Notification: Owner notification began February 1998.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (PERPETRATE)

ttt
Old 10-03-2002, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Nitz5785)

good gawd...at least there isnt anything for the 94's...or is there?
Old 10-03-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Kazmans94cord)

i called honda of america, to check my recalls, since i just got my 96 accord recently. they gave me an extended emission warranty up to 130,000 miles.
Basically if the engine light ever comes on or if the car fails to pass the smog check, honda will replace the entire emission system which includes, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, all the sensors etc.

also recall on 96 accord : Front Balancer Shaft Oil Seal Replacement, which can fall off anytime, this free replacement ends on january 03.

and there is a recall on the ignition key for 96 accord, dont have the details on this one.

remmeber to update your car vin number with honda of america if you buy a used car.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:58 PM

good gawd...at least there isnt anything for the 94's...or is there?

I got a postcard from honda about a problem on the 94's.
Some oil bushing needs to be replaced by honda. They said that
you could lose all your oil without warning.
I'll find the card and to get it fixed by honda you have till the end of the year.

C ya...
Old 10-04-2002, 03:48 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Jade94Accord)

Here is a link to a recall notice on AccordRacing, I believe it's the one your refering to.

http://www.accordracing.com/recall.htm
Old 10-04-2002, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (TouringAccord)

far as the oil loss you're reffering to the balancer shaft seal I think. I can't think of anything else that it would be anyway.

I will say that the 90-93's were pretty recall-less.... I think i've gotten one since owning it.

edit: I wonder how many people died on the first one before they figured it out???? I remember not long ago a 6th gen here in town crashed 'mysteriously' and killed the lady driving it. They didnt say the year of the car that I can remember.. it happened like 6 months ago.

[Modified by GimpyAccord, 1:27 PM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (GimpyAccord)

anyone know about any 93 accord reacalls?
Old 10-04-2002, 04:51 PM
New User

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Charlie)

I'm sure there would have been something relating to a recall or extended warranty on the distributor/igniter problem.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (mrvinyl33)

im calling honda this coming up week.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha...damn, and the 3rd gens only had 1 recall, which was for the seatbelt latches. You can also use Hondas "Ownerlink" to find out if your car is part of a recall--put in your VIN and it will tell you the status.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of quality standards going down at Honda. I'd hate to see Honda end up like some of the other monstrosities (sp?) on the road (*cough* Chrysler *cough*) hehe
Old 10-05-2002, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (89_LXi)

Big 5th gen recall was 00-078. The balancer shaft.

Big 4th gen WARRENTY EXTENSION was for the distributor. Good Luck in trying to get this done as a recall.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Accord94DX)

My stock 99 had the crank pully bolt shear off and snap, leaving half a 76mm bolt lodged inside the the crank, I know of two other accord that this happened to for no reason, on stock motors at around 30-50K miles, You can see fracture points in the bolt, The car was out of warranty had about 39,000 miles on it, I was upset but repaired it,

I don't know why this happened, I suspect faulty material within the metal bolt,

As for recalls,

My 99 got recalled for ignition switch malfunction, Did not see that on the list abve, and Honda is extending transmision warranties on the Type S Cl's, a buddy of mine has one and told me about that, Seems like alot of things are happening in a bad way for them, They are having trans problems on their newer cars,

Old 10-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Itsstock)

what was so different b/w the 94 and 95 accords? they are basically the same exact car and for some reason only 95's had all the recalls. is there anything on 94 accords except the balancer shaft seal?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord Factory Recalls (Razor)

what was so different b/w the 94 and 95 accords? they are basically the same exact car and for some reason only 95's had all the recalls. is there anything on 94 accords except the balancer shaft seal?
negative.