Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms

1. Turn key. Lights off. Air con off. Anything that could be draining power off.

2. Rapid clicking sound. Kind of like something is trying to catch but isnt.

3. Doesnt start.

4. Plenty of gas.

5. It doesnt seem like my batter is dead. Lights are bright. In fact I keep the key turned and it will keep on clicking rapidly no matter what I do.

6. Pumping on the gas doesnt seem to do much. I think after so many times you end up flooding the engine anyways right?

7. Main Relay? Fuel Pump?

8. It is cold and I have noticed that with the change in weather the car took a bit longer to start. I have no idea what the relationship is between cold and car troubles is. Yeah, I know ignorant car user.

I'm guessing it is obvious from this post that I dont know much about cars. Anybody here think that there is anything I can do aside from towing it to my local Honda shop to fix it?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (honda210)

Hmm, kinda sounds like what happend to my 97.

Even though all my lights worked and eveyrthing, it just kept making an electical tapping sound..

What was wrong with mine was the batter terminals werent connected tightly i tried tighting them and it worked.. the next day went out to start the car and it did the same thing.. my alternator was drained out of juice i guess. So i jumped my car and it started just fine, the next day same thing.. Then i asked someone and they asked if i had a sound system and they said that could be draining my battery, so i installed a .. compasater.. i think thats what its called (mabey not spelled right) and after that i jumped my car and then left it on for about 30 mins and every sense then never had a problem with starting..

I did notice u said yoru battery isnt dead.. well neither was mine, just something was draining it all out and it was my sound system..

so i am wondering if u have a high sound system (u know subs, amp, that type of thing) and if so do u have a capasater (spelling again lol) anyways thast just mabey some ideas.. if u dont have a sound system and its still doing it.. then i have no idea honestly, but there are alot of peopel on here that do.

thats my 2 cents
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the dash, dome or headlamps don't dim while trying to start the vehicle, most likely it's a Starter that has started going South. In effect the starter comprises two parts
1) A heavy Duty Relay (Starter Solenoid) which draws (at most) 10 Amps and
2) The Starter Motor Itself; which draws anywhere b'tween 150 and 300 Amps.

If it clicks but doesn't dim the headlamps, the solenoid is pulling in properly but isn't making the heavy duty connection for the starter motor.

P
Old 12-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (P_Adams)

Hey P..

the case i had that i described..

do u think it was possibly the started, and it just happend to .. i dont know.. i guess "correct" itself (is that even possible) or something.. or was it really b.c my sound system was taking the juice away with out a capasater (spelling) ... just kinda worried now that u said to the poster that it coudl be a starter problem.. dont want to be at walmart and my honda not starting
Old 12-10-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (Honda_Accord)

If it clicks but doesn't dim the headlamps, the solenoid is pulling in properly but isn't making the heavy duty connection for the starter motor.

Solenoid is in the starter right? So, you think it is a starter issue?

When it clicks it is very rapid. clickclickclickclickclickclick .... if that helps. The dashboard lights flick right along with the clicking.

Heavy duty system? I have an XM radio that is powered through my cigarette lighter/power adaptor. It has a builit in FM modulator that connects to my stock tape deck sound system. I dont have any amps or other sound upgrades.

I really dig Hondas.

This is the first time I've ever had any "issues" with this car. Any of you think it may be related to the cold? Any chance of it spontaneously fixing itself? The bummer is that the shop is closed on Sunday and I cant cruise on my day off.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i know what clicking your talking about.. like i was saying.. mine was just the battery.. but in your case.. if it isnt the battery then i have no idea..

but mine made the exact samething..

anyoen think mabey trying to jump start it could mabey help it or fix it?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure bsttery is fully charged and cables are tight and not corroded,, if both ok.. have someone try starting car, get a big screwdriver and when it clicks bang the starter a few times if it turns over u got a bad starter
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: (deserthonda)

who could argue with an *** like that

i know i cant i would try that also,,, maybe try getting a basic book and start with that

Modified by hondabum at 10:44 AM 12/13/2005
Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Old 12-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (Honda_Accord)

A Capacitor acts as a mini-backup battery (Computer Guru's know what I'm talking about) that will give off some of it's stored energy when the system voltage drops below the Capacitor's rated voltage. It's there in high powered audio systems to give both the car's Alternator and Battery a break whenever the Amplifyer starts pumping out Bass and draws extra power from the cars system. Unlike conventional Batteries (however), it charges very quickly, and gives off it's charge just as fast. I doubt it would drain your car battery overnight.

Charging System Primer:

Think of an Automobile's Charging System much like a water faucet (alternator), a bucket (Battery) and a spigot on the bottom of the bucket (Accessories, Electrical system, etc).
Assuming the bucket's full (Charged Battery), every time somethings turned on; water (electricity) is released from the bucket (Battery). If this continues with nothing interfering, the bucket empties (Battery Drains).
While this is going on, the Water Faucet (Alternator) has opened (started charging)and is trying to refill (Charge) the bucket (Battery).
All this goes on automatically: The Alternator faithfully charging the battery as the battery supplys energy to run the vehicle.

All this can come crashing down for not only the obvious reasons, but also some that are not so obvious. A dirty or loose batttery cable (a high-resistance connection) can not only keep a battery from energizing a Starter, but can also keep the Alternator from charging the Battery.

THATS where I believe your problem stemmed from.

P
Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

battery could still be bad although your accessories are working properly.....there is a large difference between drawing 30-40 amps to run accessories and lights and 3-400 amps needed to crank the car over.

This is the simplest test to do. Jump the car, if it starts and the car runs after being disconnected, you know your battery is toast. You can verify with a battery load tester.

I have had so many batteries do this over the years and replacing them solved the problem.

The plates in car batteries have a tendancy to crumble from the bottom up due to excessive vibration and heat........how old is the battery in your car? most are good for anywhere from 5-8 years depending upon the quality
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will get 'clicking' from a starter for more than one reason. And the frequency of those clicks are a good clue as to what's going on.

1) Single Click, Snap noise from Battery Area, Lights went out: Connection arced and then lost connection. (sometimes accompanied by Exploding Battery). Badly Corroded Cable ends @ Battery.
2) Multiple Clicks: Multiple rhythmic clicks (low frequency), lights dim (quite obvious) with each click. Battery Charge very low. Sufficient capacity to draw in solenoid, but releases when starter draw drops voltage and solenoid releases. Battery Charge Issue.
3) Multiple Clicks: Rapid repeat, lights dim (just barely). Battery sufficiently charged. Solenoid engaging and releasing without energizing Starter Motor. Starter Issue.

Hopes this helps

P

Modified by P_Adams at 4:19 PM 12/11/2005
Old 12-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure bsttery is fully charged and cables are tight and not corroded,, if both ok.. have someone try starting car, get a big screwdriver and when it clicks bang the starter a few times if it turns over u got a bad starter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah sounds like a power problem since the lights dim. 5-6 years on a starter isn't too long. If you absolutely know its not power then your starter is toast. And yeah he is an *** that probably doesn't get much ***!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (Schmitey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ok.. have someone get a big screwdriver and bang me </TD></TR></TABLE> i love your sig was that directed at me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schmitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And yeah he is an *** that probably doesn't get much ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

didnt you know?? thats his ***
Old 12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a bad battery. What is the mileage on the car?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (Elvis1977)

no i dont think its that if its the bat the lights in your dash dont light up and it wouldnt turn over he says they do

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. Rapid clicking sound. <U>Kind of like something is trying to catch but isnt.</U>
5. It doesnt seem like my batter is dead. <U>Lights are bright</U>.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would check the starter sometimes it helps to bang on it like the guru desert"nice ***"honda said

do you know the trick of jumping the starter by bypassing the solenoid? its a good thing to know

oh and it is not likely but you said it sounds like its not catching could be the starter motor pinion jammed in the flywheel ring gear,, or just a loose bolt ,,,do you know how to find your starter?

Modified by hondabum at 1:15 PM 12/13/2005
Old 12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (hondabum)

It's highly likely that it's too early for a starter to go bad. That starter is a ND and they last a long time unless severely abused. Check terminals and battery again.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (Elvis1977)

Sorry, but it's Starter related, as surely as Elvis used moose in his hair.

If the starter were healthy, but the battery were 'bad'; you'd get one click, the lights would dim to almost nothing and the starter MIGHT get off a turn b4 it gave up the ghost.

P
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schmitey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schmitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah sounds like a power problem since the lights dim. 5-6 years on a starter isn't too long. If you absolutely know its not power then your starter is toast. And yeah he is an *** that probably doesn't get much ***!</TD></TR></TABLE>

EHY **** head ,, that is the second time u call me an *** for whatever reason i dont know but expletive OFF and DIE ........And for getting an *** i get more in a month that u do the whole year you HOMO...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..... and Another country heard from!

I was waiting to see how long it took
. LOL

P
Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (P_Adams)

what do you mean P?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondabum)

...For DesertHonda's response.

I find this a terrible medium to communicate. Often times a joke can be misunderstood as a diss, an innocent remark could be totally taken out of context. I've been in here long enough to anticipate the reactions of some, and in this threads case I just knew he'd come back with something.

Hey, I'm as guilty as others for trying to have some fun in here (it can get tedious answering posts at 2:am in the morning) and sometimes it's taken out of context. And I've been taken to task for it too.

The way I look at it?, we all have bad days; but we're all here for the same reason (I'd hope!!)

P
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

using valet key? your key chip is possibly broken.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (b18crx)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Honda VAT System (Vehicle Anti-theft) were to see a bad/missing/incorrect key chip; the only response it would elicit from the starter would be

Nothing !!!
No reaction!
Na-Da!
Nyet!
Non!

P
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Honda VAT System (Vehicle Anti-theft) were to see a bad/missing/incorrect key chip; the only response it would elicit from the starter would be

Nothing !!!
No reaction!
Na-Da!
Nyet!
Non!

P</TD></TR></TABLE>
Then i'll correct you. The motor will spin untill the battery dies but it won't start.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1999: Won't Start. Here are the symptoms