Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help with remote lock/unlock on '95 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with remote lock/unlock on '95 Accord?

I came here several months ago and asked for some help locating a couple of wires for the remote lock and unlock on my wife's Accord, while I was installing a Compustar remote starter for her. I got some good quick answers and appreciate that help. Anyway, it was cold and we only had an icy, snowy, dirt driveway for me to work in, so I took a few shortcuts. Now that it's warm out, I want to finish up the installation and was hoping someone might have some more insight for me.

I'm still working on the locking and unlocking, albeit trying to set it up with driver's unlock priority, so that the driver's door will unlock with the first click of the button, the rest with the next click, and then locking will just lock them all. Unlocking everything works fine, but unlocking just the driver's door and locking all the doors is what I'm having difficulty with. I suspect the starter, but figured that someone here may have run into my problem before.

To lock the doors, the lock switch connects a wire with approximately +65V to ground, and the doors lock. The same goes for unlock. When I connect the lead from the starter controller to the unlock, this works fine - the +6V goes to ground and the locks open. For the lock though, the voltage actually goes up, to approximately 12V and the locks ignore that. The starter manual indicates that both leads are negative leads capped at 200mA of current, which leads me to believe they should just bridge that wire to ground, but obviously that's not happening.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience here? I'm a reasonably good electronics hobbyist, but I can't think of a way to do both lock and unlock without incorporating some relays. And I know that's not supposed to be necessary, so maybe I'm missing something or Honda locks just work differently than I'd normally assume?

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer!
-Neil
Old 07-25-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help with remote lock/unlock on '95 Accord? (neilscully)

Are you using the same wire from the remote start module to lock and unlock the doors? If so, that could be your problem. There should be two wires for the door locks. One for locking, one for unlocking. As you stated, Honda actuators respond to negative triggering. If 12V is applied to either thelock or unlock circuit, nothing will happen. Also, some remote modules require you to program the outputs to POSITIVE or NEGATIVE output. If your is that type, make sure the output is correctly set.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with remote lock/unlock on '95 Accord? (cmrvi1)

The starter has three wires for this, one for the first pulse unlock (driver's priority), one for the second unlock (all doors), and one for the unlock. Each one is connected to the proper places, as best I can tell. Each place normally has a 6V signal on it, and when the appropriate door buttons are hit, they drop to 0V.

The strange thing is that when the starter controller tries to lock or unlock just the driver's door, the voltage jumps to 12V, rather than dropping to ground. Each lead off the starter though is labelled as a (-) lead, so theoretically, the starter should be triggering them by grounding them.
-N
Old 07-26-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help with remote lock/unlock on '95 Accord? (neilscully)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neilscully &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The strange thing is that when the starter controller tries to lock or unlock just the driver's door, the voltage jumps to 12V, rather than dropping to ground. Each lead off the starter though is labelled as a (-) lead, so theoretically, the starter should be triggering them by grounding them.
-N</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this happening with the controller connected to the vehicle's wires?
If so, diconnect it from the vehicle and then check the wires individually while activating the controller to make sure that it is sending the right signal. If it isn't, the controller might be bad.
You might also want to ground each of the vehicle's door lock wire individually and see what response you get from the door locks.