Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help...Please...descriptive issue to a problem I

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Please...descriptive issue to a problem I

’98 Accord LX, 2.3l, auto transmission, 4 cyl.

For about a week, the car had difficulty starting. During start up, the car will occasionally start and shut off a second later. Once it died while driving, fortunately not in the freeway. Two days ago, the car would start and only stay on with a constant pressure on the gas pedal. To address the problem, both the ignition switch and idle control valve was replaced with Autozone parts. In addition, the throttle body was also cleaned.

Current situation: == Car is not throwing any codes ==
The car is now able to idle and be driven. However, the car would loose power intermittently. While driving the car, the rpm would hit about 2k and it would drop to about 300, regain power, and loose it again. At idle, car not moving, it would do the same. Keeping constant pressure on the gas pedal to about 2000 rpm, the engine would loose power and drop to about 300 rpm only to go back up a few seconds later. There is no discernable misfire or sputtering when it looses power.

The auto transmission was replaced and the ignition interlock recall was done recently. Could the transmission be the source of the problem? If not, anything else I should look at?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Help...Please...descriptive issue to a problem I

Depending on the mileage on the car, code or no code, I would suspect one or more of the Oxygen sensors. How many miles?

You might also want to search for information on checking and cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). That can cause idle problems and bogging, too. It also works with the O2 sensor in that it controls idle air based on information received from the computer that gets information from the o2 sensor. Too much air and not enough fuel or too much fuel and not enough air and the vehicle tries to bog down. The engine isn't really missing, though. It's choking.