Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

help please 95 accord rear quarter panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please 95 accord rear quarter panels

I just bought a 95 accord and i was going to just replace the rusted quarter panels but i then figured that the quarter panels are welded and not bolts. How do i fix these? the holes are all the way through.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Re: help please 95 accord rear quarter panels

i would just buy the rear quarter panels , and send it to a body shop to
drill out th rivets on the existing panels and tack weld the new ones in
then , spray and go ..is probably the only correct way to do it..plus
that eliminates it from ever rusting again while you own the car!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 PM

your stock ones are spot welded on. What you can simply do is go to the hardware store and get yourself some sheet metal about as heavy as the stuff on your car. Take a grinder and grind all the rust off all around the holes on your car (the holes are gonna get bigger because the area around is junk metal too.) Spray the panels around where you ground with rust oleum primer (rust resistant if applied to clean bare metal) or go one better and use rust converter, turns your rust into primer and stops the rust from coming back. now cut a patch that fits over the hole and overlaps a bit and drill into the body and patch and pop rivet the patches on. Fill over the rivets and the patch with bondo and sand it all nice and flat and smooth, then primer it and spray paint as close to the same color as the rest of the body as you can or take it to the body shop and have it painted. Done.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 AM

thank you for the help it is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by masterkill455
your stock ones are spot welded on. What you can simply do is go to the hardware store and get yourself some sheet metal about as heavy as the stuff on your car. Take a grinder and grind all the rust off all around the holes on your car (the holes are gonna get bigger because the area around is junk metal too.) Spray the panels around where you ground with rust oleum primer (rust resistant if applied to clean bare metal) or go one better and use rust converter, turns your rust into primer and stops the rust from coming back. now cut a patch that fits over the hole and overlaps a bit and drill into the body and patch and pop rivet the patches on. Fill over the rivets and the patch with bondo and sand it all nice and flat and smooth, then primer it and spray paint as close to the same color as the rest of the body as you can or take it to the body shop and have it painted. Done.
FYI.... I do not recommend doing this if you are a stickler and want you car to look good. It is a :thumbsup: quick fix for a car you don't want to keep for long, dump on some unsuspecting kid or don't have the time or money to do it properly. I used to work in a shop where this was a common practice (cheap fix) for people hard up to sell there POS cars for more money that it was worth.

If your going to do it yourself then do it right and buy the quarter panel and inner wheel well. Warning these panels are not cheap $$$$$. If you can use a drill, you can drill out spot welds. If you can use an angle grinder, you can cut out the rust. If you can weld than you can do it all yourself. Or you can take it to a body shop and have them cut out the rust and replace the parts for you.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

help this man out
Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM

thank you for all the help i am a girl and i grew up working on cars with my dad (race car 82 amc spirit) so i have done a lot of stuff on cars but i do not know how to weld i think i might take it to a shop any idea what it might cost me ?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM

http://www.fixmyrust.com/Category/DM.html is this the patch i could use to fix the panels?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM

It doesnt matter that your a girl, trust me I know a few that are better mechanics then me. Anyways that patch panel would do it, I have no real idea what a body shop will charge, they usually charge alot though. i can tell you this, if you brought it to a local tech voc high school or college they wont charge labor. Just keep in mind it might be less then perfect because students would do your repairs.