Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i pull into a gas station last weekend and i notice a cop had pulled over a civic. the only gas pump available was right next to the cop. he finishes with that guy and i notice him glancing over my car, he asks whose car it was and asks for my license. i think ok, the only thing he can get me for is the lack of a front license plate, apparently not. He then tells me to pop my hood, WTF!!! i had recently put on an AEM short ram with CARB sticker, ok im legal right, WRONG!!! he then tells me hes writing me up for not having a front license plate and having a modified exhaust!!! i tell the guy i have a bone stock exhaust, whats the deal with that? " the intake system is part of your exhaust" i tell the cop its a 50 state legal intake system, with a CARB sticker on it. he then says " the california vehicle code states that any modification made to the engine is illegal, therefore im slaping you with this state referee ticket, you cant drive your car unless its to the referee" WHATS THE DEAL!!!!????? so now i have to take time off work to go see a smog referee, PAY FOR THE TEST AND STICKER, and go to court next month!!! How can i fight this?? Is there anyway i can get back at this cop? What about getting my money back for the smog referee??? Help me out guys!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (speedaholic92)

no need to post this in two forums.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ([jdm dc2])

WOW that sux. I thought VA was bad.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (SilverGhost)

i havnt been harrassed by any cops here in OR... well ive been followed a couple times, but one of those accurances was because i was revving on my friend and a cop was across the street.... he thought i was gonna take off...haha, stupid cop
Old 09-05-2004, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you tell me what the ticket says? If it says anything about a modified exhaust you can always fight it by showing them your car. But from what i can remember, Traffic School, cops cannot ask you to open your hood unless you were driving and showing off. "Show of Speed" So technically you could fight that in court. What he did was illegal and the ticket does not say anything about you driving correct? Good luck.

We are stereotyped because we drive a honda
Old 09-05-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Charri)

That sucks man, I know a couple of good sites to look at to help you fight your ticket. It has tons of info on that kind of thing, I don't know if it will help you in this case, but I hope it does.

http://www.megalaw.com/top/traffic.php

http://www.norman-law.com/page5.html

Those are the two that will most likely help you the most. I recommend doing a quick (hopefully quick) google search for vehicle search laws, "exaust" regulations, and try to find out what is considered a moving violation in CA. The cop may have slapped you with a moving violation while you weren't moving. I know what its like being followed by cops too, I have them do it to me on an almost daily basis, it always makes me nervous. Hell, I had one pull me over IN MY DRIVEWAY. lol. Now that takes *****. Best of luck with your ticket man, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:13 PM

First off learn your rights...that cop had no reason to look under your hood. He first off should have asked to search your car and it is your god giving right to say no to any kind of search of your car. Here is a hit remove the intake and place back on the stock intake box and tube. Then take it to them and be like i never had aftermarket. Or just move to oklahoma where they dont give a **** what you do to your car. But do learn your rights man..u could have told that cop to **** off unless he had a warrent and i really dont think he had a cause to search your car.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedaholic92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How can i fight this?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Move
Old 09-05-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (jwogen1)

while everyones right in saying you have to let him look under your hood, as always, its best to cooperate, and no offense, but im sure you didnt have nerves of steel, but no one expects that.....ovbiously, even with the Intake, youll easily pass the inspection, so theres nothing else to worry about.......if you want your money back, file a report with the police station for malpractice/mistreatment....if you pressure them, they may give you money back for the costs incurred.....of course, if you would have had your front plate on, he would have had NO reason to even approach you......

god, i love living in the motorcity....cops really dont care around here
Old 09-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Charri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you tell me what the ticket says? If it says anything about a modified exhaust you can always fight it by showing them your car. But from what i can remember, Traffic School, cops cannot ask you to open your hood unless you were driving and showing off. "Show of Speed" So technically you could fight that in court. What he did was illegal and the ticket does not say anything about you driving correct? Good luck.

We are stereotyped because we drive a honda </TD></TR></TABLE>

he can ask you to open your hood, but you have the right to say no. forcing you to open your hood is different from having permission, and in this case he had it.