Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP - deciding what brakes to purchase - 1991 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - deciding what brakes to purchase - 1991 Honda Accord EX

I have spent a few hours researching what brakes to purchase and a lot of people seem to have varying opinions on the subject. I am having a difficult time finding an objective opinion about brakes and want to get a good set for my 1991 Honda Accord EX.

Types:

QUOTE:

Semimetallic: This formula, containing about 30 to 65 percent metal, typically includes chopped steel wool or wire, iron powder, copper or graphite mixed with inorganic fillers, and friction modifiers that bond all the ingredients together. These pads are more durable and have excellent heat transfer, but also wear down rotors faster, can be noisy, and may not perform optimally at low temperatures.

Nonasbestos organic: Sometimes listed as organic or NAO, this type of pad is made from fibers, such as glass, rubber, carbon, and Kevlar, with filler materials and high-temperature resins. These pads are softer and create less noise, but they wear faster and create more dust.

Low-metallic NAO: These are made from an organic formula mixed with small amounts (10 to 30 percent) of copper or steel to help with heat transfer and provide better braking. With the added metal, there is more brake dust and they may be slightly noisier.

Ceramic: These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors.

ENDQUOTE

I was thinking either Ceramic or Semi Metallic. Somewhere it told me to stay away from organic.

It also said that brake manufactures are all not created equal. Different brands, different compositions. I have had a few brands thrown my way but I still do not see any objective study on brake composition and what results.

I could purchase a set from my local auto parts store and plan to go look at what the pads there look like anyways.

The reason is that I recently was able to get my hands on a pair of brake pads that I liked but did not know the manufacture for other unrelated reasons.

They where black with a gold colored metal in them which I could assume that they where semi metallic of some sort. It seems that there are a lot of different compositions. Metallic-ceramic, ceramic, bla bla bla...

What do you think these brake pads that I had where?

What are the best pads available. I drive in Pittsburgh traffic and generally need life saveing braking techniques to ensure that I do not die or kill someone else.

I don't ride my brakes but do use them. IE...Fast to begin and a ride on the brakes onto off ramps. Also, in Pittsburgh alot of hills exist so I need something that will not heat up the rotors.

The rotors are a bitch to replace on my 1991 Honda Accord EX and I have had problems in the past with generic OEM pads ****ing the rotors up. I cannot have this happen.

I want to know what is a good brake type and why and where to get it...

Somewhere online good? I just could see people on ebay and other places putting shitty pads in nice boxes....

I do not have an insane amount of money to purchase them but a set of ceramics from autozone are like 50$ which is fine.

Help,

Web...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP - deciding what brakes to purchase - 1991 Honda Accord EX

Go with OEM Honda. Thats what I do.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not think that I can afford them.

I still want to know about what type to buy too.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Reject Papi

i personally like autospecialty ceramic pads. power-stop makes them. you can find good deals on combo packages with them on ebay for good prices.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with Duralast Gold pads. Lifetime warranty.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WebDawg
I have spent a few hours researching what brakes to purchase and a lot of people seem to have varying opinions on the subject. I am having a difficult time finding an objective opinion about brakes and want to get a good set for my 1991 Honda Accord EX.

I do not have an insane amount of money to purchase them but a set of ceramics from autozone are like 50$ which is fine.

Help,

Web...
Stay away from organics; in fact you shouldn't even be able to find any organics - and this is one place you don't want to go 'green'. Terrible resistance to fade and usually wore like erasers!

Some semi-metallic's were acceptable years ago, but they had recurring issues with brake dust. It would foul rear drums and "paint" your wheels with all manner of dust; some so bad that the wheel's color would change!

Ceramics are the way to go. Great fade resistance, good brake life and kind to your rotors in most applications.
I'm partial to a Carbon/Kevlar formulation.

I'd stick to a national brand, this isn't where you want to skimp.

P
Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

National brands? Are the brands located at my local parts store acceptable?

Wagner...etc. Advanced...Autozone...

Some of the ones on ebay are more inexpensive but like I said I could see them selling an inferior product.

Web...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 AM

brembo blanks coupled with hawk pads is a great choice. improved braking with oem reliability.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with P on this one, go ceramic. EBC are an EXCELLENT brand, and you can get them online for a reasonable amount. Centric is another brand of ceramics that I use on my wife's slotted rotors. They are quality. I live in Houston, so going 70 to a stop on a freeway is common, and I feel good about her driving with those. Autozone used to have a brand called Carbon-Metallic, and I used those for years. I used Discountbrakes.com I did a search and found prices from about $25 up to $90.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up going to Advance Auto and purchasing a set of ceramics. Though it would have been nice to find a 'cool' or even better ceramic pad online so far with these. I am impressed. I recently took the front drivers side wheel off of my car to do some work on my windshield washer motor. While it was off I took a look at the ceramic pads. I tell you what. Just a little wear on the rotor (or none) and the pads look as new as when I put them on. They barley wore at all and the breaks work great. Thanks for all the help and information. WebDawg
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you'll be fine so long as you go with a known brand (some are OEM type brands, others are performanace)- wagner, brembo, hawk, EBC, Raybestos, wilwood... good stuff like that.

Parts store brand cheap crap is not the way to go!