Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help choosing replacement radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing replacement radiator

So, my radiator got the infamous leaky top. I have a 94 5spd Accord with a Denso radiator.

My main criteria for choosing a new radiator is that I do not want a plastic top radiator like what the Accord came with.

I do not think I can afford a Koyo radiator. I am not planing on any major power modifications to my car, so I do not need a high performance radiator. I mainly want something stock like replacement.

I see aluminium radiators on ebay for really cheap. Has anyone tried these? I do not want to sacrifice the reliability of my accord, but if a cheap one is good enough, then I will get it. Cost is important to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

What do you guys think?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help choosing replacement radiator (professorman)

i have a godspeed with slim fans and it wasnt exactly a perfect fit.
basically it didnt fit at all !
it took alot to get that SOB to get in there, if my car were all motor it'd prob fit perfectly, its just that damn turbo is in the way ! ! honestly i wish i woulda just got the oem honda one and the slim fans.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help choosing replacement radiator (NeKe1point0)

I've got one of those ebay ones. Koyo OEM. cost around $60-90 ish. They work fine. Very good fit. I suggest finding a lil higher priced one. I'm pretty sure this one works well.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 AM

I've used this company a few times. I actually recently bought this exact radiator for my car, turns out it was just a loose hose connection and I don't need it, yet. Highly recommended.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help choosing replacement radiator (m735is)

Anyone ever buy radiator from this guy on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...A:VRI

The Radiator Connection. It is an ALL Aluminum radiator, with aluminum tanks as well.

What you guys think?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Since you don't want the plastic tanks, I think this is exactly what you're looking for. Good price too.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help choosing replacement radiator (m735is)

Here is my review of the radiator I purchased. I purchased from a guy who sells a lot of radiators on ebay. "TheRadiatorConnection".

Here is my e-mail that I sent to him.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dear theradiatorconnection,

Just to let you know, there is a design flaw in the radiator that I recieved. Overall, I am extremly happy with it and love it, however, the drain plug, it sticks out too much, where as on the stock radiator, it does not stick out. This mean that the drain plug was resting on the lower engine brace cross member, and so it could not be opened, and it would cause breakage issues. I had to cut a square in my lower cross memeber brace to accomodate the drain plug, weakening the structure of my car. I also had a hard time getting the fan to fit, because the lower radiator hose angles up at a too steep angle and the fan had to be pressed into the hose in order to fit. I hope you get these design flaws resolved for other customers..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same problems you stated in your email was the same issue i had with godspeed's radiator. the spout needed an angled cut and the cross member needed to be notched. slim fans were needed as well. i def wasnt satisfied. im still needing to fab some mounting brackets for the top. but it is secured for now...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
* B A N N E D *

I used a Silla replacement radiator, it was $85 w/free shipping, and it works awesome!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NeKe1point0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same problems you stated in your email was the same issue i had with godspeed's radiator. the spout needed an angled cut and the cross member needed to be notched. slim fans were needed as well. i def wasnt satisfied. im still needing to fab some mounting brackets for the top. but it is secured for now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe this was a GodSpeed radiator then. The guy says that he will forward my e-mail to the manufacturer.
Where did you buy it from? I purcased it for $120 shipped. I installed it at my friend's shop, so it wasnt an issue for me, but if I was trying to do it by myself, this wouldnt have worked.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professorman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe this was a GodSpeed radiator then. The guy says that he will forward my e-mail to the manufacturer.
Where did you buy it from? I purcased it for $120 shipped. I installed it at my friend's shop, so it wasnt an issue for me, but if I was trying to do it by myself, this wouldnt have worked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure of the seller, the name of the company you bought urs from doesnt sound familiar though. i believe mine was the same price or abt 10 bucks more. it was def alot cheaper than the honda rad i wanted. i hate buying ish off ebay ! its always something with ebay. here is the radiator i got from godspeed before i installed it. its easily 2-3 times wider than the stock radiator. slims fans were addtnl.

im only running 7lbs of boost and i regret buying this radiator, it looks nice when u open the hood but i wldve rather spent the xtra money to get the honda one.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering if we could use the smaller radiators used in civics that have h22 or k20 engines. You know what im talking about the smaller thinner type
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chrisfball12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chrisfball12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering if we could use the smaller radiators used in civics that have h22 or k20 engines. You know what im talking about the smaller thinner type</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, you can use the del-sol dual core radiator.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NeKe1point0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im not sure of the seller, the name of the company you bought urs from doesnt sound familiar though. i believe mine was the same price or abt 10 bucks more. it was def alot cheaper than the honda rad i wanted. i hate buying ish off ebay ! its always something with ebay. here is the radiator i got from godspeed before i installed it. its easily 2-3 times wider than the stock radiator. slims fans were addtnl.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine looks similar, except:
-My drain plug is copper color
-The lower radiator angles upwards

Everything else looks just about the same.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that my radiator fluid kept on getting low recently since I changed my radiator. I had to put about 1/4 bottle of coolant in the reservoir/radiator on two occasions since my new radiator change, which was about 1 1/2 month ago.

I carried my car to my mechanic and pressure tested it and found that it was leaking from the lower radiator hose only when it was under pressure. We tightened it up and was good to go again.

This was a wierd problem, because I could not figure out where the fluid was going. I did not see where it was leaking from. It only leaked when it was under pressure, when the engine got hot when I am driving, so when I am parked, I would not see any fluid under my car anywhere.

I just thought this was interesting to share in case it happen to anyone and they are confused about where the missing coolant is going.