Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Having issues 02 Honda Accord 2.3l leaking water around tube on thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Having issues 02 Honda Accord 2.3l leaking water around tube on thermostat

I tried to search for my issue(or even anything close to it) using both the basic and the advanced search options. I had no luck. Sorry, if there is a post here I am missing. If anyone can forward me that link to a post that deals with this and/or tell me what to search for, it would be much appreciated.

So, I had to replace my head/intake/exhaust gasket as I had want in my oil and the water pump is fine(not leaking and not growling). When I got everything back together and started putting fluids back in I noticed water pouring back out the back of the motor(or in that area). I took off the air breather tube and pulled off some senors on the passenger side of the motor for a better look. I found the water pouring back out around the tube (circled in the photo below) and the arrow is point where the thermostat housing and the tube meet.

underside of intake mani 2.3l 4 cylinder

Which where all the water was pouring. I took it off and found the black rubber o-ring was sliced open. It is a bit of corrosion/stone-build-up inside the therm housing, so I knocked down any burrs or rough spot with a green scrubby. I had another out of my head gasket set. I replaced it, buttoned back up the cooling system, filled the water back up and it proceeded to pour back out the tube area again. I took it back off and cleaned the surfaces real well. And I purchased a thermostat and thermostat gasket(thinking that the corrosion/stone on the thermostat itself may be a problem and since i was in here might as well change it). The store was out of the thermostat housing gasket and I ordered it online. will be here tomorrow or the next. My question is: Is there a trick to get this tube to seat properly? and Please don't tell that I have to take the intake mani back off, as that would suck(I would have to order another gasket)
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Having issues 02 Honda Accord 2.3l leaking water around tube on thermostat

As long as the tube is not bent, or the end of the tube damaged, it should seal. Install the O ring with some antifreeze or diswashing liquid so as not to damage the O-ring. If installed dry it may roll, pinch or become sliced.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Having issues 02 Honda Accord 2.3l leaking water around tube on thermostat

It sounds really simple. You need a new oring. Install oring. Tighten down the water pipe and you should be good to go.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
As long as the tube is not bent, or the end of the tube damaged, it should seal. Install the O ring with some antifreeze or diswashing liquid so as not to damage the O-ring. If installed dry it may roll, pinch or become sliced.
Thank you. I did not think of the lubing the o-ring with anti-freeze/liquid dish soap. I will try that.

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It sounds really simple. You need a new oring. Install oring. Tighten down the water pipe and you should be good to go.
Thanks I didn't try that yet. ::eyeroll:: I guess you did not read what I wrote. Good job.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Unless your gasket set is coming straight from Honda it's likely you need a real gasket, an OEM one. If it's not the right size it's probably going to leak as it is now.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless your gasket set is coming straight from Honda it's likely you need a real gasket, an OEM one. If it's not the right size it's probably going to leak as it is now.
Well damn. It is not OEM. I guess I have a call to call a dealer, as it is still leaking out around the tube port. Altough there is less flow to it. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As luck would have it, I just got back from the dealership with one of those O ring gaskets. As Holmesnmanny mentioned, if not from Honda, likely not fitting right. I searched all over for that one, and there is another oblong round rubber gasket ring, sealing the "water inlet housing " to the Intake Manifold. Mine was trashed I would get that also if I were you, and replace it. especially if you still have it off. Nobody else seemed to have them, although I did buy one that looked like the oblong one from Autozone, but it was too big. I have had some leaking also, the existing Oring round gasket was slightly too big. The Honda OEM one fits "like a glove"
Part number for O ring gasket; 91314-PH7-003
Part number for that other one; 91312-P0A-000
Hope that helps. I'll be reassembling mine tonite, or at least until my fingers get numb.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I should mention my car is a 1998 Honda Accord EX sedan , 4 cylinder. My Intake appears the same from your pic.
the O ring gasket for the water pipe connection cost me $ 2.47. well worth not crawling back under there to work on.
The oblong one between the water inlet housing and Intake manifold was $2.97 they had to order it.
I'm impressed you have taken it off and on 3 times. I hesitated to remove mine at all, even though I have alot of carbon build up issues. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by oN_Delay
Well damn. It is not OEM. I guess I have a call to call a dealer, as it is still leaking out around the tube port. Altough there is less flow to it. Thanks.
It would probably be best to just get all new gaskets and orings considering it may be another oring in that area leaking AND they are so cheap AND youd rather do it all at the same time.

www.hondapartscheap.com
Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After I saw you pic of the entire Intake Manifold, I went back under mine to check the water pipe running across the back of mine, yikees! mine looks like toast!. I gotta replace that too. wish I'd thought of that, but thanks for posting that picture!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rickm5
As luck would have it, I just got back from the dealership with one of those O ring gaskets. As Holmesnmanny mentioned, if not from Honda, likely not fitting right. I searched all over for that one, and there is another oblong round rubber gasket ring, sealing the "water inlet housing " to the Intake Manifold. Mine was trashed I would get that also if I were you, and replace it. especially if you still have it off. Nobody else seemed to have them, although I did buy one that looked like the oblong one from Autozone, but it was too big. I have had some leaking also, the existing Oring round gasket was slightly too big. The Honda OEM one fits "like a glove"
Part number for O ring gasket; 91314-PH7-003
Part number for that other one; 91312-P0A-000
Hope that helps. I'll be reassembling mine tonite, or at least until my fingers get numb.
Thanks. picking 2-3 up on my lunch break today.

It would probably be best to just get all new gaskets and orings considering it may be another oring in that area leaking AND they are so cheap AND youd rather do it all at the same time.

www.hondapartscheap.com
Yeah. I got an extra thermostat gasket and thermostat housing gasket. But hopefully this OEM oring will be it and I can get to the fun part... fixing my timing. Hopefully it didn't jump any teeth and it's just the dizzy. But I have to check timing gears first as of wiser my marks will be gone. ...yay...

Thanks again guys. Will post this evening if the oring stop the leak or not.