Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

FYI on fourth generation Accord dash clocks

Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FYI on fourth generation Accord dash clocks

This is a back to the basics post:

Ever since I bought my Accord the clock has had the little door missing on the clock. I’m a bit **** retentive, so I went to the junkyard in search of a replacement clock. This is when I found out that Honda has (3) different suppliers that made the clock between 90-93. The suppliers were N/S, Jeco, and BORG, but not all the clocks were made the same.

I found that some clocks had a steel pin going through the bezel holding the door on and others had the door secured with plastic pegs. The steel pin clock is the one you want for durability. The easiest way to identity if the door has the steel pin is to remove the clock and look at the right inner part of the bezel. If it has the steel pin you will see it just on the inner lip of the bezel.

I have found the Jeco and Borg seem to have steel pins, where the N/S is mounted on plastic pegs. However I only had a small sample size so results might very with what you find. Don’t even bother trying to remove the door off a plastic pegged clock, the pegs will just break.

In case some one asks about removal:

How to remove the clock without damage: I found that using plain dinner knives works great for removing the clock from the dash. When removing the clock you want to pry it from the driver’s side of the dash first. The clock harness is tucked away on the passenger side.

I hope this helps someone out.

Last edited by Nicefeet; 04-08-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: FYI on fourth generation Accord dash clocks

Instead of searching for a door, why didn't you just buy the whole clock? Doors break off all the time, I used to swap in used clocks for Civics, Integras, and Accords all the time about 10 years ago.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FYI on fourth generation Accord dash clocks

Originally Posted by slomofo
Instead of searching for a door, why didn't you just buy the whole clock? Doors break off all the time, I used to swap in used clocks for Civics, Integras, and Accords all the time about 10 years ago.
That's what I did. I bought the whole clock and found out some suppliers make a clock with a stronger door hinge.