Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Fuel gauge stuck on F even after replacing the sending unit and swapping 3 clusters

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel gauge stuck on F even after replacing the sending unit and swapping 3 clusters

This issue is occuring on a 94 Honda Accord LX 5spd.

I have a fuel gauge that is stuck on F. I noticed this problem while I was troubleshooting a speedo issue.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps in the shop manual. I set the fuel guage to E and shorted the connector at the fuel sending unit, and verified that the fuel gauge moved toward F. The fuel gauge did not move when the sending unit was completely disconnected. I tried this with 3 different gauge clusters.

I have 3 gauge clusters b/c I was trying to fix a problem with the speedo. I followed all the test proceedures in the shop manual for testing the speedo, and I ended up swapping gauges and individual gauge components until I determined that the problem was with the connector to the VSS, not any of the gauges themselves. This is when I noticed the fuel guage was getting stuck on F. As I mentioned, this happened on all three clusters.

I then tested the sending unit and found that the resistance was not as specified in the shop manual, so I replaced it with a used one. I verified that the used sending unit had resistance as specified throughout the range (4 ohms empty to 104 ohms Full).

Once installed, I went thru the excercise of troubleshooting the gauge again, and again, each of the 3 gauges clusters would show the tank as F (only half tank of gas). I connected the sending unit outside of the tanks, and went through its range of motion, but it did not make a difference on the fuel gauge (maybe it need to be grounded to the tank).

Is it possible that the bad sending unit could have broken each of the fuel gauges as I was troubleshooting the speedo issue? I am going to give it one more shot and try to find jsut a fuel gauge at the junk yard and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I have no idea what else to look for. Is there a way to troubleshoot the fuel gauge by ITSELF?
Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel gauge stuck on F even after replacing the sending unit and swapping 3 cluste

I've had the actual fuel gauge itself out of the cluster on a few different Honda's/Acura's and taken a close look at them. I had a problem in my Legend where the gauge would shoot right up to "F" even when I set the needle at "E" and I had like a 1/4 tank. The problem ended up being the gauge itself. There are three "Poles" that are connected to the cluster through the screws that retain the gauge. One of the tiny single strand wires had been broken off one of the "Poles".

If you've been swapping different clusters, gauges and a different sending unit and still have the same problem, without any sort of change in response to the part changes then your problem has to be in the wiring or connectors. Check the connector to the cluster for loose/corroded pins, shredded wires ect. Same for the connector to the sending unit. Take a look at the diagram I attached and check that ground. G751.
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel gauge stuck on F even after replacing the sending unit and swapping 3 cluste

Had a speedo problem, replaced cluster noticed the fuel gauge wasn't working. Have done all the suggestions listed here. Have concluded > replace the fuel sending unit and pump (even though the fuel pump works), it's just old history unknown. Oh 1994 Honda Accord lx coupe over 278,000 miles. Will do an after action reply when task has been completed. This forum has been helpful with 1992 Honda SI and 1996 Accord lx sedan both went to grandsons and 1989 went to son-still on the road 338,000 miles.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I failed to mention my fuel, gauge is stuck on "E" and doing the jumper technique the needle didn't move ,hmmmm. If you do the jumper test if needle moves from E toward F DO NOT let it get to the F, before disconnecting the jumper or it will destroy gauge so I'm told. If someone knows different please offer a correction.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just me but was it working before the "cluster swap"?

Also, the pump and sending unit are two different things. Sending unit is on the right pass side of the tank and the pump is on the left drivers side.....but if you jumped the wires then you would know this.