Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Finished 5 Speed Conversion but small problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished 5 Speed Conversion but small problem

watt up everyone, so before i start off i would like to let everybody know that i did use the search button
Now that we got that out the way, i have completed my 5 speed conversion on my car. Drives good, runs good with no problems however this car is a 97 accord automatic lx. When i did the conversion the motor was already out so i swapped the wiring harness to a manual one, along with swapping the 5 speed ecu. So my problem now is i have followed all wiring diagrams for the key removal, and clutch switch to start the car, but my reverse lights dont work. When i wired it up as listed, i was showed to wire G and H together but when i did that the reverse lights stayed on even when not in reverse. My mind playing tricks on me or something, somebody help me out please

Thanks in Advance
Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Finished 5 Speed Conversion but small problem

You don't wire the two together. You have to extend two wires off the auto shifter harness into the engine bay and connect them to the reverse light switch on the manual transmission. That way they will only come on when the transmission is in reverse. The polarity does not matter as the wires are just completing the circuit.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You don't wire the two together. You have to extend two wires off the auto shifter harness into the engine bay and connect them to the reverse light switch on the manual transmission. That way they will only come on when the transmission is in reverse. The polarity does not matter as the wires are just completing the circuit.
Thanks bro, I shall give this a try!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aradin
+1, careful not to break off the wires from the solenoid on the tranny
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant remember what wires I wired them to, sorry

I am nearly done with mine on my 5th gen but I can't get the car in any gears. I dont have a halfshaft in the intermediate shaft though. I can shift in any gear without the clutch but it doesnt feel like it is in a gear.

Figured I would ask you since you just finished yours. Congrats btw!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
I cant remember what wires I wired them to, sorry

I am nearly done with mine on my 5th gen but I can't get the car in any gears. I dont have a halfshaft in the intermediate shaft though. I can shift in any gear without the clutch but it doesnt feel like it is in a gear.

Figured I would ask you since you just finished yours. Congrats btw!
My car starting do this yesterday, as the car will not go into gear now when the car is running only when its shut off. I did bleed the system, however it appears to be the clutch master cylinder leaking. It is wet when looking at the rod going to the pedal.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got mine done and running!

Did you use a new clutch master cylinder? You could have cut the rubber on it when to pushed it through the firewall.

My brand new one was leaking because the screw on the side of it was loose. I would check that. It used a weird size Allen wrench.

I've got a check engine light on but it seems to run okay.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
Just got mine done and running!

Did you use a new clutch master cylinder? You could have cut the rubber on it when to pushed it through the firewall.

My brand new one was leaking because the screw on the side of it was loose. I would check that. It used a weird size Allen wrench.

I've got a check engine light on but it seems to run okay.
Congrats. I happen to have two wrecked accords(same gen) at my friends shop. So i took the Clutch master cylinder off another one and it worked like a charm.
LOL i have a check enigine light also, first it was the speed sensor(forgot to connect it) but that didnt fix it. I swapped the cluster and the Check engine light went away.