Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

FICV coolant hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FICV coolant hose

Hey there guys, I hope I am not asking a question thats been answered as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Anyways I recently bought a 92 Honda Accord that seems to be plagued with problems, that I've been working through 1 at a time but now I have a bad one... I was recently trying to find a very small coolant leak when I spotted the lower hose on my Fast Idle Control Valve appeared to be wet. Out of instinct I attempted to tighten the clamp but when I put slight pressure on it (just enough to put the screw driver in the bolt) the aluminum nipple snapped off. According to another site it was on the fast idle control valve but on "https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704468" it has been referred to as the FICV (the yellow outline in post 4.

After this hose and nipple broke off I found that in the hose there was an odd orange semi solid that I believe was from some stop leak or other type of chemical and was pretty much clogged. I now know this was causing my idle problem and since I broke off the nipple I ordered a whole new valve. Tonight this arrived so I went straight to work switching it out. When I followed the lower hose to where it comes from I was able to loosen the clamp, but upon pulling the hose it broke the nipple as well. I am needing to know if this aluminum nipple is repairable or if I need to replace the entire part, and also what part does this hose connect to? Can I run the car with this disconnected for now, I don't see any coolant leaking out without it and the car running. I know bypassing this if possible would make it rough starting in the cold and will not idle properly until the car warms up but I can accept that for a while as it's already been an issue.

Also I am not much of a mechanic, this is more of a learn as I go and hope I don't screw up kind of thing as I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Trial User

Default Re: FICV coolant hose

Also the hose I am specifically talking about is #5 in this diagram http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...&b=E++1501&dl=
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all honesty the OEM Accord IACV is completely capable of controlling idle in conditions ranging from -10f to infinite. I would know, I've been there. lol I just bypassed mine and bought a blockoff plate. Especially on an older car where the hoses will be naturally more brittle than a modern counterpart.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, the fitv itself should be replaced if broken. The other side of that hose connects to the intake manifold. If that broke off I'm sure it's repairable but it would be best to just get another from the junkyard. They are a dime a dozon there.

It really isn't common for those pieces to break. If they are it sounds like someone has been running tap water in your cooling system. It is imperative to always use 50/50 coolant in the car and never to use tap water. It would be wise to buy all new hoses radiator and coolant hoses throughout the car and draining the coolant and replacing them. I would guessitmate that the heater core itself is going to be on its way out. If you see a film on the windshield and can smell coolant while driving it could be leaking as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Trial User

NZXTInerTia I hope I mentioned the right components as I know 1 can be bypassed, and I believe it is the one with green, right? Mine that I'm having trouble with is in the yellow. I do have a new one to replace it but I couldn't figure out what the part was the lower hose connected to. If I had my components right would I be able to completely bypass the one in yellow without a problem? I'm not too worried about the cold as I'm in Arizona.

holmesnmanny yes it definitely had regular water in it when I bought it, I flushed it out and put 50/50 in it. I will make sure to change all hoses next. Is there any easy way of checking the heater core or should I replace it soon to be on the safe side? And just to double check in case I had my parts wrong, the lower tube in the yellow box goes to the intake manifold right?

Thanks again guys I'm hoping to be able to drive the accord again soon.