Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

F23A1 Unique coolant/oil mixture problem, all feed back welcome...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 F23A1 Unique coolant/oil mixture problem, all feed back welcome...

Posting for friend that Im trying to help, that has little money let to play guessing games with the shade tree grease monkey they let touch the car the first two times..

Car: 1999, Accord DX (sedan), F23A1, auto trans.

Car is completely factory-

*NOTE: these are the same vague details that I have recieved and apologize for lack there of.*
Issue: First believed to be a blown head gasket. (Oil mixing in the coolant, NO coolant in oil)
Typical symptoms, milky coolant, temperture climbimg above "normal".

-1st remedy: Perform head job. Check head for leaks via machine shop.Found non. Replace head gasket accordingly. T-Belt, w.p., and gaskets supposedly replaced.
-Result: Car still over heats, coolant in resivoir is "cream coffee".

-2nd remedy: repeat all of the crap above with the same end result with the addition of a new symptom.
-Result: new symptom is coolant in radiator is now black as stright coffee with only a hint of green.

My findings: After searching the web I found this;
"There are a few possibilities, but without any outside disturbance of the fluid I would look for a cylinder head leak. The soot that will be blown into the coolant is soluable, and will turn the system black, assuming that it is a new and fast development. If the fluid has not been changed for quite a while, five or more years, the coloration will be a slow buildup of metals release from the engine such as rust and aluminum oxide, or if it is a foamy off-color that is in the tank there is an oil based fluid geting into the radiator- possibly from the oil or transmission cooler line in the radiator or a different sort of head gasket leak."

I believe it could possibly be a crack that was not found early in the head, causing the exhaust to leak into the coolant. Maybe even a defect in the block surface. Im going to be doing some investigative work to actually determine that. But any and all ideas are appreciated as always.
Thanks Guys!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: F23A1 Unique coolant/oil mixture problem, all feed back welcome...

bump....