Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Electrical problems causing not to shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems causing not to shift

I've got a '94 Accord EX, 2.2L Automatic tranny, and First I thought I needed a new tranny, but I took it for a drive yesterday, and i got through all 4 gears, and then after I stopped and started going again it wouldn't shift out of 1st, and then after a while It wouldn't shift, so I shut the car off and turned it back on, and it went through all the gears again, sometimes it shifts sometimes it doesn't, I dunno if there is a short or somekind of electrical issue or if the tranny is just really screwed up, or what it is but if anyone has any idea about what it might be please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Electrical problems causing not to shift (Rizane)

Does the D4 light in the dash stay on or blink, even when not in drive? If so, the computer may have a trouble code stored.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 AM

on top of Blkflsh suggestion have you checked to make sure you got enough fluid in tranny??...If no codes, and fluid looks kind of dirty ( burnt smell ) do a tranny flush and see if it helps
Old 01-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TCM's gone stupid (specifically the capacitors). In effect, every time you restart the car; you're rebooting the TCM.

P
Old 01-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Electrical problems causing not to shift (P_Adams)

A new computer cost me $450 about 10 years ago. Maybe you can find a used one, or fix the one you have (and not spend so much).
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Electrical problems causing not to shift (BLKFLSH)

So far I've flushed the tranny, put new fluids in and a conditioner that I thought would help, and always the same problem, i did notice i just got back form taking it out, and if I put it in D4, it won't get out of 1st gear the D4 Light on the dash stays steady, but when i get into higher RPM's the battery light starts to blink where it usually shifts, if i put it in d3 i can get to 3rd gear, but it seems like after I stop, and it downshifts it won't get past 1st again, and also the battery light blinks rapidly when it gets into higher rpm's. and after about making 2 or 3 stops, the car won't even move anymore, just kinda sits there untile I turn the car off and then back on again. and I think like P_Adams said the TCM's gone stupid.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although totally unrelated to your Transmission Issue, it sounds like your Alternator is in need to a new set of brushes. (Batt light blinks at high(er) rpm's). In effect, your alternators been faithfully working for so long, it now qualifies for an AARP card!
Seriously, as the brushes wear; they have increasingly less spring pressure holding them against the commutator rings.

P
Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Electrical problems causing not to shift (P_Adams)

Yes actually, i've been meaning to replace it but I wasn't sure if it was becaue of the altenator or a short so I held off on it, but .. i've been driving it up and down my street to see if I can figure anything else out, and it was shifting fine when I first drove it, I got too a stop sign, and then I started going again ... and It was fine in first, then it went into second, but it was grinding as it went into second .. im assuming the torque converter didn't engage .. or it did and it's completly slipping, if anyone has any input that would be great.