Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

EGR Valve Testing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Valve Testing

Hello all,
1993 2.2, did not pass smog for High NOx, tech says could be EGR. The car has 213K and have never done any maint on the EGR in terms of cleaning ports or replace EGR valve.

Question: I put a hand vac pump on the EGR port and try to hold vac at 10 in.HG to see if the diaphragm with actuate but nothing. Wont hold Vac.

Does this indicate torn diaphragm and the EGR needs to be replaced, or will a good cleaning of the EGR valve body itself maybe fix it to working condition.

thx
bw
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGR Valve Testing

Only way to tell is to try dude.. EGR valve is a common reason people fail their emissions. I took my old EGR valve off, bought a new gasket, soaked my old one in Brake Cleaner for a day or so, and poof it was spotless (after some scrubbing). I haven't had problems at all since.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I apply vac the valve pintle lifts and then retracts right away. Is this normal?

If I plug both openings on the bottom with the ERG on the bench it holds vacuum. Should it hold VAC with the ports open to atmosphere?

thx
bw
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where i live there is no DEQ (thank god), does it cost money to have your car tested?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bnwbass
Question: I put a hand vac pump on the EGR port and try to hold vac at 10 in.HG to see if the diaphragm with actuate but nothing. Wont hold Vac.Does this indicate torn diaphragm and the EGR needs to be replaced, or will a good cleaning of the EGR valve body itself maybe fix it to working condition.

thx
bw
Some EGR valves are called 'BP' or back pressure EGR. These have a transducer that does not allow the valve to open or stay open unless the engine is running and there are exhaust/intake pressures. Test the valve only when the engine is running.

More than likely the ports are clogged on your intake and they all need to be cleaned out, do this and manually exercise the valve to make sure it is able to open fully. Then retest the valve. with the engine running.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Removed EGR valve and cleaned toughly, the valve pintle move freely and looks good.
2. Cleaned all EGR ports with recommended cleaner and runners with small nylon bottle brushes all clear.
3. Reinstalled EGR with new gasket and put everything back together.
4. Started engine warm-up and then removed vac line #16 to the EGR Engine does not stall or run rough
6. Apply Vac at the EGR with hand pump but EGR won’t hold Vac.
If I pump the hand pump quickly in repetition I can get the engine to stall so I know the EGR ports are clear and EGR valve is moving to some degree.

Does this all point to a bad EGR valve?

Thx Bw
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnwbass
Thanks for the response.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Removed EGR valve and cleaned toughly, the valve pintle move freely and looks good.
2. Cleaned all EGR ports with recommended cleaner and runners with small nylon bottle brushes all clear.
3. Reinstalled EGR with new gasket and put everything back together.
4. Started engine warm-up and then removed vac line #16 to the EGR Engine does not stall or run rough
6. Apply Vac at the EGR with hand pump but EGR won’t hold Vac.
If I pump the hand pump quickly in repetition I can get the engine to stall so I know the EGR ports are clear and EGR valve is moving to some degree.

Does this all point to a bad EGR valve

Thx Bw
The EGR valve diaphram should hold vacuum. If the vacuum bleeds down the diaphram chamber has a leak. Replace the valve.

Another thing. These Honda's use ECT and engine RPM ONLY to activate the EGR valve.

With the engine at normal operating temperature, GENTLY and I mean GENTLY, tip into the throttle in Park. Watch the vacuum being applied to the EGR valve using a vacuum gauge. You should see vacuum being applied as you SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY tip into the throttle and increase RPM.

This is the easiest way to confirm the system upstream of the EGR valve for operation.

If you have signal, the engine will stall with vigorous pumping ( confirming the ports are clear ) and the EGR valve diaphram chamber obviously has a leak, you should be able to repair your car with a new EGR valve.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks
bw