Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

EGR valve isn't getting actuated, why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve isn't getting actuated, why?

Ok, so I have an F22B2 that's getting really crappy gas mileage. Maybe 20 MPG even if I drive slow, but it's hard to tell because my odometer doesn't work. No codes thrown. Tire pressure and alignment are fine. Air filter, distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are three years old. Valve lash and plug gap were set six months ago, and the plugs looked clean. The oil and filter are fine, and I burn maybe a quart (of Mobil 1 5w-30) every 5k miles. The torque converter will lock in 4th at highway speeds, but maybe it doesn't lock as much or as soon as it should.

I opened up the EGR port cover, and the ports were fouled with carbon crap, but not completely closed, so I cleaned them out, and cleaned the EGR valve itself. The valve actuates (and kills the engine) when I manually give it vacuum. The EGR control solenoid doesn't leak, and produces the right amount of vacuum when I manually apply 12v from the batt.

Here's the kicker. I had the car hot and idling in the garage (fans came on,) and hooked a vacuum gauge to the #16 vacuum line, and drove around with the gauge up and on the windshield. I drove around, and for about a minute, I'd get vacuum between 1700 and 2500 or whatever, but after that, I stopped getting vacuum. No vacuum under any throttle level, and no CEL. What the hell does that mean?

I think it means that I'm in open loop mode, and it might mean that my ECT isn't working right. I think my thermostat is working ok. Any ideas? Thanks.

Modified by guymontag at 1:18 AM 12/30/2006
Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EGR valve isn't getting actuated, why? (guymontag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guymontag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Air filter, distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are three years old. </TD></TR></TABLE>
this is part of your crappy gas milage. try changing thes befor you condem the emissions. I honestly dont know that much about emmision systems though.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: EGR valve isn't getting actuated, why? (hondaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this is part of your crappy gas milage. try changing thes befor you condem the emissions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty damn sure my EGR should be opening, but the ECU isn't telling it to open. None of the regular maintenance stuff should affect the EGR at all. Also, I'm not saying that the EGR is the problem - I'm saying it's the symptom, 'cause the entire EGR system works perfectly when you work it manually, and the computer part was working fine too for the first minute of my test drive.

I have maybe 20k miles on the consumable/replaceable parts. I guess I can and should replace that stuff, but I have a hard time believing it will make a big difference in my mileage, esp. considering that I get good power, it revs happily, etc. All the same, I appreciate the suggestions.

Modified by guymontag at 7:30 PM 12/29/2006
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 PM

Bump. I have about a day and a half of access to tools left before I have to head home, so...