Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow

Old 12-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow

Alright, what do you guys think would have better efficiency (MPG) between the B1 and B2?? This is assuming that driving is non agressive, and shifting is done before VTEC would engage. I am wondering how the swirl effect of the B1 on the smallest cam(one valve in the intakeonly opens a hair creating the swirl=more lowend torque) , as well as the roller rockers , effect the efficiency of the engine. better or worse.

Also, is there a compression difference between the two? What would be required to bumpup the compression a point or two. How would this effect efficiency? Would the higher comp let you make more use of the fuel at lower rpms(before vtec) I doubt it would at higher revs.

Flow, By creating a better flowing engine, it seems like it would run more efficient due to less drag of pulling air and pushing exaust. Is this always true? It seems that as a person straps beter flowing parts to an engine,efficiency drops, but this could be due to driving habits.
some say that the less air you allow into an engine, the less fuel the engine will use because the fuel is metered depending on how much air is comeing in. Myth or fact?

On the other hand, if the amount of fuel is set, making you run rich, more flow will put the ratio where it should be, creating more power out of the same amount of fuel, thus increasing efficiency so long as the car is driven lightly.

An example would be weather a stock exaust manifold would yield better mpg than a set of headers. and if headers, 4-2-1, or 4-1?

correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the super efficient Honda engine called the CCV or something? WHat makes it different to give much better milage(most likely along with less power)

I apreciate all feed back, I feel that understanding these concepts better will help not only with efficiency, but with creating power in a smart manner, so there is no waste where there is potential power/efficiency.

cheers
sohc
Old 12-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (SOHCMAN)

bump
Old 12-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (SOHCMAN)

Alright, what do you guys think would have better efficiency (MPG) between the B1 and B2?? This is assuming that driving is non agressive, and shifting is done before VTEC would engage. I am wondering how the swirl effect of the B1 on the smallest cam(one valve in the intakeonly opens a hair creating the swirl=more lowend torque) , as well as the roller rockers , effect the efficiency of the engine. better or worse.

Also, is there a compression difference between the two? What would be required to bumpup the compression a point or two. How would this effect efficiency? Would the higher comp let you make more use of the fuel at lower rpms(before vtec) I doubt it would at higher revs.

Flow, By creating a better flowing engine, it seems like it would run more efficient due to less drag of pulling air and pushing exaust. Is this always true? It seems that as a person straps beter flowing parts to an engine,efficiency drops, but this could be due to driving habits.
some say that the less air you allow into an engine, the less fuel the engine will use because the fuel is metered depending on how much air is comeing in. Myth or fact?

On the other hand, if the amount of fuel is set, making you run rich, more flow will put the ratio where it should be, creating more power out of the same amount of fuel, thus increasing efficiency so long as the car is driven lightly.

An example would be weather a stock exaust manifold would yield better mpg than a set of headers. and if headers, 4-2-1, or 4-1?

correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the super efficient Honda engine called the CCV or something? WHat makes it different to give much better milage(most likely along with less power)

I apreciate all feed back, I feel that understanding these concepts better will help not only with efficiency, but with creating power in a smart manner, so there is no waste where there is potential power/efficiency.

cheers
sohc
f22b1 and f22b2 both have 8.8:1 compression, higher c/r pistons will increase both hp and torque throughout the rev range.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (Razor)

but what do you think that would do to the efficiency of the engine??
Old 12-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm good question, it will be more efficient since your motor can now make the same hp it normally would at a specific rpm, but now like a couple hundred rpms lower. the less you have the rev the engine to make power, the more gas you save. BUT you will need to get higher octane gas for your engine now(which isn't efficient for your wallet).

i dont think i answered your question but i tried

[Modified by Razor, 12:41 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 05:09 PM
JPX

Compression is the same 8.8 to 1

mill the head .020 will raise compression half a point. 9.3 to 1

Cam gears retarding a few degrees will improve mid to top end HP and power.

Headers DC improve exhaust flow about 10% and

but to really improve headflow, Head work is necessary, stage 3 or better will improve flow charecteristics from 15-30hp.

Ported head and intake will give you even more power. if done properly...

if your interested contact me directly....JPGuru@aol.com

hope this post was helpful

later

Old 12-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (JPX)

LOL, fuel efficiency

thats a good one
Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (SOHCArchangel)

he meant gasoline, don't be so ****
Old 12-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (Razor)

I know what he meant, thats why i laughed. I was not being **** in the slightest.

Plus you are using **** in the wrong context, the closest word pertaining to this situation would be 'obnoxious', but thats neither here nor there. See, now you could say im being **** because i felt necessary to knit-picking the situation apart .
Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Efficiency questions: F22B1 and F22B2, also: compression, flow (SOHCArchangel)

hehe i was just kididng anyways,