Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Driving a 1996 Accord with "kick down" disabled

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a 1996 Accord with "kick down" disabled

Hi guys, something i wanted to get a grasp of i thought id ask here..

I drive an automatic transmission 1996 Accord which just crossed the 400,000 km mark last month. I have been abusing its transmission lately i.e. when i have to accelerate real quick i just physically shift the gear down to 1, instead of flooring the gas pedal and waiting for the car to first think and then downshift. But i think the constant gear changing has damaged the system a bit..

Yesterday morning when i was going to work i noticed that the accord wouldnt shift gears on time. It would stay in 1st gear until the rpm touched 4000 and stayed like that for 4-5 seconds, and then i'd have to let go of the gas a bit before it decided to go to 2nd. Same story from 2nd to 3rd. 3rd to 4th would be the hardest as it just wouldnt want to shift.

So after work i took it to my mechanic. He played around with some switches around the engine and then told me to take it for a spin. When i took it for a spin i noticed the car became a bit too zippy. Was generally more responsive, the rev tended to stay a bit higher and it down shifted often very unnecessarily. For example previously if i'd make a right turn without coming to a complete stop, the car would continue in the 2nd gear. Now it shifts down to 1st without any hesitation.

I went back to my mechanic and ask him what he had done.. he said that he had turned off a "kick down" switch which sort of regulates gear shifting based on throttle input.

Now i have a few questions that i didnt have time to ask my mechanic.

1. How is the "kick down" function related to the originally problem i had i.e. not shifting up on time.

2. Is it normal to drive around with kick down disabled? Does it have any impact on wear and tear, gas mileage?

3. How much is it roughly to fix this problem

thanks guys
Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driving a 1996 Accord with "kick down" disabled

Same problem happening again this morning guys Its not shifting into gear properly. Goes into reverse fine but then sits for 10 seconds in D before even moving.

Can someone please explain to me whats happening with my car.. i dont have any money to put a new tranny in