Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Plug Wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug Wire

Im having problems with one of my pluig wires on my 91' accord. On Cylinder 2 the plug wire rides up the tube. Sometimes it doesn't snap, and others it will come out while I drive. When the car is hot the wire will snap but then come out while your watching it. When its cold it will snap and stay, but when it gets hot it comes out. When I drive it will start to shudder then I know its out. There was some oil on that plug, but would that cause it. I tried to clean it with brake clean, but it still does it.

How can I fix it?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Plug Wire

I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. I thought it was a problem with the plug wires, and I had a 5-year warranty on them so I kept exchanging them for new ones, like 3 or 4 different times. Last time, only the plug wire on cylinder 1 one would pop out. It turns out it was a problem with the crappy spark plugs I bought from Wal-mart (those cheap autolite ones). So it was time to change my plugs anyway, this time I bought better plugs (NGK brand) and I never had that problem again. It turned out the tip on the cheap Autolites was a little bit smaller in diameter causing the wire to not stay snapped in.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks but my plugs are NGK.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my wires at Bond but I must have thrown out my receipt, so I guess im out of luck there.

Im going for a trip on Saturday and really need this fixed, how can I fix this. They are Bond plug wires and NGK plugs.

There is some oil on the wires, but I already tried cleaning then with both brake clean, carb clean, and wd40 and neither worked. Is there any way to get oil out of them?

I also tried just putting the plug into another cylinder when the car was off and it did the same thing. So I know its the wire. It makes a good click when I put the wire on, but with a little bit of force, no where near as much for the other wires, it pops right off.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crank case pressure is most likely getting by the valve cover seal. Try replacing the valve cover gasket and gromets. I've had "B" series motors that completely blow the plug wires off at high power levels. Hope this helps...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBTW... You might compression test your motor to see if you are getting excessive blow-by. If that's OK check the crank case ventilation (PCV) system to make sure it's functional.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive already checked the pcv and it is fine. I have recently changed the valve cover gasket, gromets and top seals. I have not replaced the bottom spark plug seals though. Could there be too much oil in the tube.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LawlessOne
Got it resolved (I think).

Damnest thing, although it takes two or three minutes and considerable exertion to try to take the plug wires off by hand, it seems to be a lot easier to drive down the road and let it pop off itself.

But seriously, I tried making a hole in the top of the boot in the event that it was air pressure building up, and this did nothing.

Finally, took the rubber piece off of the stem that slips over the insulator of the plug and haven't had any trouble since. As a matter of fact, I stopped having trouble with this one popping off, and then a different one popped off, so I took the rubber piece of the end of the plug stem of all of them.

This makes the wires much easier to pull back off, unlike before, but they stay on like this. My only conclusion I can base from this is that the rubber piece is swelling to the point that it pushes the wire back off of the plug enough to either make air pressure blow it off, or the spark jumping between the top of the plug and the connector is making it pop up. It's the only thing I can think off that makes the most sense.

So if your having this problem, do yourself a big favor and take those blasted rubber tips off of the end of the plug wire tubes and plug your wires back on, this may save a lot of aggravation!

Could I try what this guy did and just remove the rubber boot and see if it helps?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm telling you its gotta be an incompatibility between your plugs and the wires. I did the same thing as you. I changed the gasket, pvc, seals, ect, cleaned the oil out of the chambers. Even tried carving the hole bigger in the rubber boots so they would slip back over the plugs easier (this was a suggestion from my roommate, an Advanced Auto parts employee). This worked for awhile but they began slipping off again. He kept insisting that it was the cheap *** plug wires I bought at Car Quest. Nothing worked until I changed the plugs. The fact that the wires were cheap might have been a factor, but it turned out the tips of the plugs were too small for the wires and thats what did it.

Try a different brand of spark plugs. Take one of your plugs into the auto parts dealer and compare the tip to other brands. If you find a brand with a bigger tip, get it. I'm just telling you what worked for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there anyway I can crimp the metal connector a little?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the crimping the connector thing too and it only worked temporarily. I tried everything with those plug wires.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I just called up Bond where I bought the wires told them my problem, and he said that those wires have a lifetime warrenty, but I said I didn't have a receipt so he looked on his computer and said that they only sold 1 set of plug wires in the time period I said. So I ended up just bring my old wires down and they gave me new ones FREE of charge. Thanks for your help. The new wires are working good.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it happens again, try a different brand of plugs.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen to a lady's civic before. I changed with OEM wires, no issues. NGK wires or Denso will fix this problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have oil leaking in your plug tubes you need to replace the o-rings under the rocker arm cage...it solved my issue on a 96