Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Dome Light Circuit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light Circuit Questions

Hi guys, I have a set of LEDs installed under my dash (97 CL) and I wanted to them to turn on with my dome light, aka when I use my remote to unlock the car doors. The issue is that I think the dome light operates on switched ground which is the door switch. However, I also want them to stay on after I get in/close/lock the doors.

I wasn't sure how to do this because to get it to turn on with the dome lights I need to be on a constant 12V source. Is this possible without running a separate switch between the LEDs and a secondary ground? I'm not too experienced with electronics so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dome Light Circuit Questions

If you are not that comfortable with wiring, might want to walk away from this idea.

Could it be done, yea. Not too bad but you'd have to get creative and know what you are doing. A simple four pin relay where you use the "ground trigger" to close the relay and supply power to the LED lights under the dash.

Again, if you are not good with understanding all of the electronics that are OE and then getting creative with how to use those to get what you want......be happy with what you have.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dome Light Circuit Questions

Originally Posted by Lost Again
If you are not that comfortable with wiring, might want to walk away from this idea.

Could it be done, yea. Not too bad but you'd have to get creative and know what you are doing. A simple four pin relay where you use the "ground trigger" to close the relay and supply power to the LED lights under the dash.

Again, if you are not good with understanding all of the electronics that are OE and then getting creative with how to use those to get what you want......be happy with what you have.
Thanks, I mean I'm 19 and I like to learn by tinkering with things. It's a $500 car I rebuilt so I'm not too worried about it. Plus my lights are fused up to avoid anything too bad. So after looking up how 4 pin relays work this is the idea I have drawn up.

Constant 12V --> LEDs --> Switched Ground

Then on the 4 pin relay coil circuit: any switched 12V source and a ground
Contact circuit: LEDs and a regular ground.

I appreciate your help by the way thanks a lot!