Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Do I change my car's Thermostat?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I change my car's Thermostat?

I just recently replaced my Temperature Gauge sensor (I don't know if I caleld it the right thing, but it is the part that shows the temp on the Cluster). I replaced it because the readings were automatically jumping to Hot. I researched this, and it said my Thermostat might be stuck closed. However, after I drove home today, I decided to feel the return hose and it was hot. Could my Thermostat possibly be stuck open? I mean, on cold days, it always reads hot, right when the enginge first started up. I also get heat at a reasonable time after the engine "warms-up". I know I am not leaking coolant, because The levels are fine.

So now I believe I am stuck with two options, air in the cooling system, or a bad thermostat. It didn't happen until Firestone replaced my cracked radiator. (I would have done it myself, but my Dad was the one who had it at the time, I am a teen driver )
I am either thinking that the mechanic forgot to either bleed the system, or my Thermostat is stuck open. (I Honestly don't think it is stuck open, because I tried to see if it was slowly warming up, but once the engine's idle slowed, the tube got too hot for me to touch anymore. I am pretty sure it did, if not, I might have not been feeling the slowly warming up coolant).

Does anyone know how to bleed the system? (I might need some pictures of the locations, bt new to working on cars).

And if bleeding the system doesn't work, can I assume it is the thermostat?

Edit: I do not know how to delete a post, but I realized after a ;little that the top hose on the radiator is not the Return hose that the Thermostat is inside of. It is actualyl the bottom one, and that one is ice cold. so nevermind. so sorry about this post.

Last edited by ALDJ253; 03-03-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Made a huge mistake
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Do I change my car's Thermostat?

Just to clarify, did you try to bleed the system yourself? There is a bleed nipple on the intake manifold located on the thermostat housing. If there is air in the system it will become trapped but may not open the thermostat, even if the thermoresistor shows HOT.
Anytime you have to replace a component of the cooling system on a Honda I would also change out the thermostat with a Honda thermostat. Cheap insurance to prevent any possibility of overheating/blowing a head gasket.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OP jumps all over the place in his post I can't even tell what's currently going on. Just what's gone on in the past.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
The OP jumps all over the place in his post I can't even tell what's currently going on. Just what's gone on in the past.
Makes sense to me. Just got to read it carefully. Lol. But anyways. I have already determined my thermostat is stuck closed and I need to replace it. The tubing I felt getting hot was in fact not the right one at all.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you got all your issues completely and totally fixed.