Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

cylinder head/block dowel pin

Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder head/block dowel pin

On my 92 Accord I removed the cylinder head and cannot seem to pull out one of the two dowel pins) that insert into the block so that the head gasket can be positioned on it correctly when doing that task. The little part I'm talking about is the cylindrical part #23 as shown on this diagram/listing: http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=E++10&dl=
Gripping and twisting with pliers it's still not coming out. The other one pulled right out easily. I think I already buggered it up little by having to pull and twist on it excessively and might have to get a new one. But meanwhile it's stuck in there (in the cylinder head insert recess). Any suggestions on how I might get it out without possibly it tearing and breaking off on the inside or something. I was thinking maybe try heating it up some with a torch? Or not a good idea?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cylinder head/block dowel pin

Personally, I don't like the combination of torches and aluminum heads.

Why do you need to remove it?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by basket_case
Why do you need to remove it?
Well, it's stuck in the cylinder head and it seems ideally it would be need to be removed from the cylinder head and put in place in the block recess so when I get to the point of placing the new gasket on the block it'll be serving to keep the gasket in place (along with the other dowel pin placed in the block) while I'm placing the head back down onto the block/gasket.

And yeah I agree now that you mentioned it, the combination of aluminum head and a torch not good...

Last edited by sgull; 06-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sgull
Well, it's stuck in the cylinder head and it seems ideally it would be need to be removed from the cylinder head and put in place in the block recess so when I get to the point of placing the new gasket on the block it'll be serving to keep the gasket in place (along with the other dowel pin placed in the block) while I'm placing the head back down onto the block/gasket.
You may not need to remove it. Do a practice run of putting the head on and see how it goes. You don't need to bolt it down, just make sure you can get the head on with the pins and gasket (use the old one if you want) all in the right places.

Have you tried penetrating oil? Kroil or Knock 'er Loose is my preference but they can be hard to find. Spray some on and periodically come back and spray some more. Patience is key.

You could try tapping it inward to break it loose. Just be careful how hard you hit it. You don't want to drive it in too far or mush the dowel. The counterbore may limit how far it can go in, but exercising some caution is always prudent.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks basket_case for those suggestions. I'll give a try with some penetrating oil first; all I have is some PB Blaster, they dont sell Kroil or KnockRLoose locally here.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just throw some vicegrips on it and yank it off. Obviously you'll just need new dowel pins.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I would just throw some vicegrips on it and yank it off. Obviously you'll just need new dowel pins.
Yeah I already buggered and bent it up a little trying to grip, twist, and pull with regular pliers and, so far it's not coming out even after putting a little PB blaster around it. I'll try yanking it out with some vicegrips like you say. I can just order a new one, they're inexpensive at least. I was kind of worried that the dowel might tear and leave part of its metal stuck on the inside of the recess if I try pulling much more with pliers or vicegrips. that would suck. this is fun stuff.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Get it with a pair of vice grips then hit the vice grips with a hammer in the direction of the sky. You would have better luck having it come straight out than trying to twist it. Plus you want to shock things like that that have welded themselves to something.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up having success by clamping small vice grips on wall of the stuck dowel and putting a wooden paint stirrer stick on the head between the head and the vice grips for leverage and to protect the head from damage while I pried/leveraged that bad boy out (kind of like removing a nail with a hammer and using a block of wood for more leverage) with the vice grips. It didn't come easily, took a couple of tries and ripped the dowel a little which of course course ruined it. But hey no problem I already ordered a new one and that stuck sucker is outta there!
I'm a little concerned now about when I get to the point of placing the head back onto the gasket/block, that that particular dowel hole in the head will be tight like that and cause difficulty for the dowel to slide in easily and completely when I lower the head onto the gasket/block. So maybe I should take a little round wire brush or something and clean/buff out the inside of the hole beforehand. Similar to wire brushing the inside opening of a battery terminal clamp.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm confident you'll be fine.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgull
I ended up having success by clamping small vice grips on wall of the stuck dowel and putting a wooden paint stirrer stick on the head between the head and the vice grips for leverage and to protect the head from damage while I pried/leveraged that bad boy out (kind of like removing a nail with a hammer and using a block of wood for more leverage) with the vice grips.
So my trick worked out for you
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
So my trick worked out for you
What was your trick?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poorman212
Sorry.....meant did it have a slot or a solid outside.

If you are going for a new one anyway....a block of wood for leverage and rip that bad boy out. One side of the wood to the head, then on the other that is where you can pry the vice grips on the wood......kind of like removing a nail with a hammer, a piece of wood in between helps get that sucker out.......you protect the surface of the head from damage.
This
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
This
Oh, THAT trick! Yes your trick most certainly did the trick and thanks again.
That bad boy is out. Kinda like pulling a nail with a hammer. lol